Ibanez TBX150 vs Peavey XXL heads

zipline7020

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I was wondering which you recommend more. I owned the Ibanez head in high school along with a pretty cheap cab, but I still really enjoyed it.
However I heard about the XXL recently, and though I've never seen one at any of the local peavey dealers, the reviews seem to be very positive.

Now there will be some of you will say "save up extra and get a tube amp"

but ya know, I have a decent cab and some pedals I got from a closing music store for so so cheap, and i don't think I can afford the down payment, nor the upkeep of a tube amp because of current salaries and life.

Anyway, so this wouldn't be for recording, just jamming and small time gigging with friends, and I don't need lots of effects. My friends and I like to play 90s/2000s rock and metal if that gives you an idea of sound.

And if not these, what else can you recommend? Been going through local pawn shops and craigslist but i haven't seen much I could try first hand.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd honestly get the XXL. It's a very damn good sounding head. I've seen people compare it to the XXX, but better.

The TBX150 is good, but I feel the XXX is a better sounding, more versatile amp. But the TBX150 is usually much cheaper if you want to save some dough. If you play strictly high-gain, the TBX150 is still fine.

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, gonna second Jazzhands here - the TBX150 is pretty damn good sounding for tight, high gain stuff considering how much it usually sells for, but the XXL is gonna be way more versatile and, in my opinion, better suited to the kind of music you want to play.

tylerpond05

Mormon Metalhead
Reaction score
One of the guitar players in my high school band (over 10 yrs now) had the XXL and the tones were awesome! Whenever I see the head or combo, it takes me back and i almost want to sell some guitars just to get one. Super versatile and can get heavy on a drop of a dime. Getting the foot switch is a must however.

Spinedriver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You may be hard pressed to find an XXL (or XL for that matter) because they've been discontinued for quite some time now. They do pop up on ebay or Reverb once in a while but not very often. One amp that IS in production you might want to look at is the RANDALL RG1503H (or 1003H, one is 100 watts, the other is 150 watts). If you're into high gain, Randall solid state amps are pretty hard to beat.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I used to have a Peavey XL Head, really killer high gain sounding amp. Pair it off with a good cab and it will sound pretty sick. I have played both amps and i think they are the same amp. XXL head has 3 channels instead of 2...

A sound demo I did (4years ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c0O1QzaP5U

Sounds pretty damn good.

Just saw the other day on my local CL someone that is selling both of these amps. Like $200 for the XXL and $150 for the TBX.

Kinda tempting to go pick that XXL up.

zipline7020

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow! great feedback

So It looks like the XXL is the winner, if I can find it.

Now I know there are other SS state amps, like randall and the orange CR 120, as well as the marshall solid state

so 2 questions,

First, are the marshall solid state heads really THAT bad? I know the reviews are terrible, but Ive also been told by a few guitarists I respect that they're great and those other people just don't know how to dial in a tone. asking because theres an MG HDFX100 for 90 dollars at a pawn shop.

Second, I know some of the randalls and the orange are more expensive than the peavey and Ibanez. would saving up the extra money be worth it for those? Or will solid state be solid state once you get past the terrible starter combos?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only good Marshall SS's are the 8100/8200, VS100, and old Mosfet. The 1st get MG and the Modefour are okay, but everything else sucks.

And there are some legitimately good SS amps out there. The Randall V2/T2, the RH150/RH300, the Ampeg VH140C, the Crate GX130C, GX900, GX2200, Shockwave, Tidalwave... the list goes on. :lol:

And the CR120 is one of my favorite modern SS amps. And I'm a fan of Randall, but I think the RG1003 series is just okay. Not as good as some Randall amps, but they aren't personally my thing.

zipline7020

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have had my eye on the orange for a while, but I wasnt sure if it would be right for the job. It definitely sounds true to the orange style, which isnt great for everything.

But it definitley looks solid and very well made

and randall, yeaaa, Ive heard some really like it, and others say that theyre great, but they take a LOT of fiddling to get just right