Ibanez S7320 ultimate mods

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by chrispy_joe, Apr 15, 2009.

1. chrispy_joe

chrispy_joe Lounge Act

Has anyone done any of the following to their S7320? Mine is a Korean:

- Changed the frets to something a little smaller (not the clumsy stock Ibby coke cans)

- Quieted the springs on the ZR mechanism. If you mute your strings above the bridge pickup and tap the body you'll hear audible spring noise. This does show up doing stops and heavy spaced out palm muted chords

- Swapped the ghetto stock pickups to Blackouts or EMGs (with body chopping for 707s). Any pointers when it comes to getting the electronics to vibe in the body...like where does the battery go?!

- Installed strap locks...any recommended brands?

these are the only 4 wishes I have for the S7320...otherwise it feels great, light, easy to play other then the annoying godzilla frets. The ZR trem is the best thing to happen to a floating bridge *EVER*. It made it practical to actually have a floating bridge :lol:

ChrisP

2. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

hmm.... well, here's my thoughts:

wouldn't having it re-fretted cost about as much as what the guitar is worth?

dunno about the spring thing...

stock pickups do suck. why waste that wonderful mahogany body on actives, though? actives sound pretty much the same no matter what they're in. throw yourself some duncans in there ( JB and Jazz) and thank me later : )

IMO, the best strap locks are the Dimarzio clip locks. thats the best design out there as it keeps the weight load close to the guitar.

3. chrispy_joe

chrispy_joe Lounge Act

eh worth is such a subjective thing. To me the ZR itself makes a refret worth it. It's really the floating trem I've been looking forever for. I'm not going to sell it so making this thing more playable to my fingers is the motivational factor. I do this will all my stuff, get the frets dressed, really setup that neck and dial in the action. It all comes at a cost but it's worth being able to play something you like otherwise it's just modern art sitting in the corner.

Guess I should pry open the back plate and see what's underneath it so I can figure out a way to silence it a bit.

I'm not sure if I really agree with actives sounding alike in any body. It's subtle but basswood sounds a bit different then mahogony...of course my distortion is pretty robotic so the more it is processed, the happier I am. It's the cleans that I'm really trying to seek out a full tone. In my experience EMGs had a really thin clean tone which is a bit of a bummer...how are the Blackouts for a clean? I'm definitely and active pickup guy.

I think I got some Dimarzio clip locks around...was curious if the mounting screws were the same size as the Ibanez ones or if I should figure out a work around for that or even better find something that just fit the body better from the get go...thanks for your responses!

ChrisP

4. HaGGuS

HaGGuS Banned

I replaced the bridge pup on mine with a x2n7.
    I think i may have to try a set of B.K.P,s
    And getting mine swirled is also on the cards. :metal:

5. vigil785

vigil785 SS.org Regular

I have Blackouts in mine, sounds great imo. The volume and tone pots for the blackouts are smaller than the stock ones. My 9 volt sits on top of the pots (deepest part of the cavity) next to the stereo input jack. The battery sits a tiny bit above the cavity but you can still get the cover on it. It doesnt bother me like this and normally everything has to be perfect. You also have to use a 3 way pickup selector but you probably already know that. How does that 6505 sound with the S7320? Im thinking of getting one of those.

6. MFB

MFB Banned

Pickups? I'd so go with any of these sets of Duncans :

JB/'59
    JB/Jazz
    Custom Distortion/Jazz
    Custom Distortion/'59
    Invader/'59
    Invader/Jazz

I myself use the Invader/'59 combo and it works out lovely. You've got a brutal, skull-crushing bridge and a blues still vintage vibe neck that can handle gain

Straplock? Use a Planet Waves LockStrap it's the best you'll ever use and doesn't hurt the paint around the strap pins like the Dimarzio does (Buy Planet Waves 2" Polypropylene Planet Lock Guitar Strap | Straps & Strap Locks | Musician's Friend)

7. chrispy_joe

chrispy_joe Lounge Act

I can't say exactly how the 6505 sounds with an S/Blackout retrofit because I haven't done the swap yet. I can say that my LTD with an EMG 85/81 setup on my 6505+ kicks the shit out of allot of other amps I've tried. Mesa is still a really nice distortion, but I got to say when it comes to having a smooth clean and an clear agro crunchy distortion, the 6505 comes out tops for being able to do both! I can make my S7320 with stock pickups sounds good with some fussing...I know it can sound way better with actives and it'd be much easier to dial in, so that's my upgrade path for the S. I've jammed a few times with a tube screamer and Noise Reducer. I like the tube screamer since it ads a little more warmth to the distortion with actives, otherwise EMGs can sound a little sterile, but the overall clarity of actives really is the main reason I stick with them. It forced me to be a bit more of a precise player since I have a pretty staccato attack playing style, actives really enhanced my sound IMO.

Does anyone know about fret dressing? I was checking out a site FretTek: The Ultimate in Tone and Playability for fret dressing guitars and bass guitars and from what I could tell their services revolve around reshaping existing frets on their Plek machine...is this right? All I want to do is go down from the large Ibanez stock Dunlop 6000s (.118x.058) to a smaller width, and more comfortable for me, Dunlop 6105 (.090x.055) Any experiences or wise tales would be appreciated. It'd be stellar if I can avoid a refret and just use what's already there since they're technically not "worn" or anything.

Dunlops fret chart is here:
    Fretwire chart

I'm starting to agree about the planet waves, I put the Dimarzio strap onto my axe last night and the clips definitely rub the body in my hardcase...sigh

8. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

If you go through the trouble of getting it refretted, go for stainless frets. It might cost more but they are soooooooooooo much better.

9. chrispy_joe

chrispy_joe Lounge Act

Would that be because of a feel thing or a tone thing?

10. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Feel mainly but tone indirectly - they make bends so smooth and effortless that you can move to a bigger string gauge which supposedly results in better tone. That and they practically never wear out.

11. vigil785

vigil785 SS.org Regular

I read an article in a guitar magazine about stainless steel frets once. It said they would give you a brighter sound, they were expensive, and they lasted forever. If I ever get my S7 refretted I would definately do this. I think they look alot better then normal frets too.

12. fiaracer

fiaracer Well-Known Member

ive got a s7320
    emgs and routing totally worth it
    i run mine through a first gen 5150
    sounds super awesome.
    i mounted my battery between the two pots in the control cavity

13. thinkpad20

thinkpad20 plays guitar??

I was about to post this exact thing :lol:

I recently refretted my RG7620 with SS frets and it's frickin phenomenal... so smooth to play on and fretwear is a thing of the past!

Oh and I would avoid 707s... first of all I hate them :lol: but second of all you can get blackouts in there that are sized as normal pickups, so no need to do expensive (and essentially irreversible) routing.

14. Desnar

Desnar Member

Do P/P pots fit into an s7320? Im looking inside mine and it doesnt looke like it.
    Has anyone else tried?

15. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

i'v stripped mine, stained it. sealed it back up and painted it flat black. installed emgs, moved over to blackouts, filled in the cavitys and rerouted for passives for some BKP's, put in strap locks. most of this stuff was last year

been there, done that :lol:

16. Desnar

Desnar Member

Man thats cool. Any pix from along the way?

17. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Seymour Duncan 59 Neck and Bridge for 7 string, way more of the guitar will come out, more dynamics, especially with that mahogany body.

Seymour Duncan Guitar Pickups

It's very subjective about the brightness aspect, but they definitely feel smoother when bending, take more abuse when tapping, and the more you play them it seems as though they burnish and harden even more. I think they're the best thing to happen to the guitar neck since the locking nut.

They take a tad longer to do a fret level/crown/dress, mainly because you have to clean the files a little more often when doing it, but once they're done, they are done!!! Lot's of techs don't like to work with them because of that, but many of them are just lazy screwthiers anyway. They also don't like it because they know they get less work from a customer with SS frets than they will with Nickel Steel.

18. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

just curious about the fret size thing.....is it because you've come from playing guitars with smaller frets and this is your first guitar with jumbo frets?
    Or did you used to play a variety of guitars with different fret sizes and then found out you liked small better?

19. Shredcow

Shredcow Mangled Beef

Interesting thing about the brightness of SS frets.

I read that John Suhr fretted a guitar with alternate SS and regular frets - no difference whatsoever in sound.

That said, SS frets rock. Just... don't ding them. Quite difficult to work on them and you'll be charged more anyway.

20. Desnar

Desnar Member

Good to know! I thought if they sounded brighter it could not be too much considering the regular frets are already part steel.