Ibanez S7320/7321/FR???

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by JohnnyCNote, Dec 5, 2007.

1. JohnnyCNote

JohnnyCNote Великий Пахан Contributor

Yo!

Tax refund time is approaching and after seeing an S7320 on GuitarCenter.com my desire for a 7-string has been rekindled. After doing a pretty thorough search, I'm still unsure what the differences are among the various models.

I called the local GC and was told about an S7321 w/o tremelo that goes for $350, while the S7320 on the website is $700. The guy told me there was a Floyd Rose (FR?) model that could be ordered, but he was pretty busy and didn't have time to get me a price. He did say it wasn't nearly double the price of the S7321. The Floyd Rose is a must - no Floyd Rose = no deal.

So what I'm trying to determine is what makes the S7320 worth twice the S7321 and how much the "FR" model (if I heard him correctly) would cost. I'd also prefer black hardware on the S7320, although I can live with the chrome. One reassurance I do have is that I can return it to the local GC if I don't like it.

I've been playing 2 Strats for years but am intrigued by the possibilities of having a lower B string, especially if it's complimented by a 5-string bass. This Ibanez is just about exactly what I'd like (although I'd really like a coil splitter switch, but I can worry about that later).

Any info would be most appreciated . . .

yevetz likes this.
  2. yevetz

yevetz I am a COCK!!!!!!!!! Contributor

:welcome:

Dude get 7620 you will have awesome tremolo and great guitar.....and you will spend about 400-450$

Good luck :)

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

4. Stitch

Stitch Banned

There isn't any such thing as the S7321 and the press releases from Ibanez haven't indicated any intention of releasing one.

Regardless, the chap is wrong as Ibanez nomenclature dictates that an S7321 would be fixed bridge. (a model number ending in '0' is generally the vibrato model, wheras '1' means the guitar definitely has an fixed bridge. The other numbers are slightly open to interpretation as practices have changed a bit, but '1' is a definite. I cannot think of a single '1' that doesn't have a hardtail bridge.

If you don't mind buying second hand though, I'd seriously look into an RG7620 as its the best 7 string you can get for that money PERIOD, and you'll still have plenty of change left over, even if it is hardcased.

Another guitar to consider (they cocasionally pop up this cheap) is an old UV Green Dot. Its an older Ibanez Universe with green dot inlays, logo and pickups, and a damn fine guitar. $700 will probably get you a slightly beat up model, but its without a doubt one of the best 7's Ibanez ever made. :)

5. JohnnyCNote

Thanks for the quick replies!

Where can I find an 7620 for that price (bol'shoe spasibo, by the way)?

6. Stitch

Stitch Banned

eBay. :agreed:

There aren't going in the classified right now IIRC. They pop up frequently though. I'll keep an eye out for you though!

7. psychoticsnoman

psychoticsnoman SS.org Regular

If your interested in the S7 id have to urge you to go with the older S7420, they have nicer finishes, play allot better and go cheaper.

8. JohnnyCNote

I'm SHOCKED! Okay, I guess I'm not, but I'm glad I found this place. Thanks mucho!

9. Michael

Michael Forum MVP

Ditto on looking into a 7620. Also, you could probably get a used S7420 for the price of a new S7320. It's worth looking out for one of those aswell if you're going to be searching around eBay. :yesway:

10. ibznorange

ibznorange Chief Officer/RHLC © Contributor

the one way an s7320 is > s7420, is the trem. i prefer the zr, to just about any trem actually. i just wish they made one with piezo's

11. JohnnyCNote

Thanks for all the great ideas! I've got my work cut out for me . . .

12. ibznorange

dude, the s7320 has a derivation of the floyd, the zr. its like a floyd with a tremsetter, except it operates on ball bearings. but the whole bridge moves like a floyd, as opposed to a kahler.
    the s7420 has a lotrs7, which is more floydian, and can be direct swapped with an ofr

13. JohnnyCNote

The ball bearing FR bridge sounds quite interesting . . .

14. ibznorange

it really is. its feels smoother, much like a kahler.
    but the entire bridge rotates, just like a floyd rose.
    its also got a zero point unit, so (depending on the string gauges, tunings, and the tension of the zr unit and your springs) it will stay in tune if you break a string, or for doublestops

15. Prometheus

Prometheus Oh no, no you don't!

Seriously, I'd like a S7320. It might not be a 7420, but I'm sure it's a pretty damn good guitar. I've got a 7321, which is meant to be not a patch on the more upmarket 7's, but damn, it feels pretty good to me, so I imagine the S7320 would feel pretty awesome too. Plus, ZR trem!

16. JohnnyCNote

That's been my thinking. I'm sure the other models recommended are all excellent guitars, but I tend to lean towards a new model over a used one. Maybe it's because I've had bad experiences with used cars. I know it's not a fair comparison, but I'd feel better with a brand new model.

Do you know what the differences are between the S7320 and the S7321 beyond the tremelo?

17. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Actually, since the trem sits on a cam on the ball bearing, its more like a kahler in action, the way it operates but it does feel more like a floyd.

18. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

If you mean the RG7321 and the S7320.. there's a lot..

[​IMG]
    The RG7321:
    -Hardtail
    -Basswood body
    -24 frets
    -indonesian built

[​IMG]
    S7320:
    -Tremolo
    -Mahogany body
    -22 frets
    -Korean built

19. JohnnyCNote

I guess that would account in part for the increased price. . .

20. ibznorange

yeah. the s is a superior instrument to the rg for sure.
    the rg isnt bad though, i want to pick one up at some point, if i cant get my hands on an rg7621 for a decent price

the rotational action yes. however, the intonation point is on the string saddle, unlike a kahler. kahlers have multiple points of string contact on the bridge, floyds and the zr have one per string.
    really, its quite a hybrid. it is my preferred trem by far