Ibanez RGIF8 Fanned Fret vs Tam10

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by vertibration, Jun 23, 2016.

1. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

So I am in between both these guitars as my next buy. The fanned fret has the ashwood body, and maple/bubinga neck vs the basswood body of the Tam10 and maple/walnut neck.

Fanned frets dont make a difference to me, but the pickups do. EMG 909X vs Dmarzio ionozer.

So has anyone tried them out? Opinions are welcome.

The only thing that has me leaning to the Tam10, is that the pickups are already great, and the 909X will be hard to find a pickup to replace them if I want to go passive one day (bare knuckle...so on)

However, I like that the fanned fret is Ash wood. So I am kinda torn....:ugh:

2. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 SS.org Regular

Neither. That same price range for 200 more you can get a RG852

3. vertibration

Well, I prefer American Musical Supply, as their 12 pay plan works for me. They dont carry that one, so back to my original question....:shred:

4. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

i played the 7 string fanned fret version the other day and the TAM 10. i enjoyed playing the fanned fret guitar much more, but the TAM 10 sounded better.

5. FeRReT_of_WaR

FeRReT_of_WaR SS.org Regular

As an rgif8 owner, I will be biased. But one thing i noticed with the the rgif8 compared to the other rg8, is the rgif8 has a thicker tuning peg post for the 8th string, thus allowing for a .80 string or bigger without having to unwind the wrap on the string. I noticed one rga8 own talking in a review about having to slightly modify the string to get a .80 to work. The pickups work for me. The 909x are better than say a no name pickup on a cheaper 8 string, so you don't have to change the pickups right away. All in all, I love my guitar. As each rgif8 is unique because of the raw finish.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Wait for the upcoming Jackson fanned fret.

7. vertibration

8. vertibration

How would you describe the Ashwood sound vs Basswood?

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Eeeeh, they're going to be on-par quality wise. Both are Indo-made and I've heard about the same thing about both the Jackson X series and the Iron Label. If anything, the Jackson's a better deal since it's about $150 cheaper.

10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

might wont have the TAM but it could give you an idea of the sound of the RGIF8 vs others

11. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

I had an rgif8 for a while and enjoyed it, quality was very good, compared to other iron labels I've tried that were terrible. And the 909x pickups weren't terrible either, but if you want to swap them out you pretty much have very little options and the options you do have would be expensive and custom.

12. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

I've tried the Ionizers in a TAM100 and the 808x's in my RG2228GK and I think that is as good as you are going to get at the moment. I can not imagine the 909x's being all that different from the 808x's. Once I put the 808x's in my guitar I never thought about 8 string pickups again.

There is some truth about the 909x being hard to replace (if you didn't like it) but I guarantee you it could be done by a number of companies. If the U.S can build the Stealth Bomber pickup manufacturers can make 9 string pickups. :2c:

PS - I would care about the fanned frets though. :spock:

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

14. FeRReT_of_WaR

FeRReT_of_WaR SS.org Regular

Honestly never played another 8 string. So I can't comment on the sound or how it differs to basswood. But I can say that the wood feels nice. Since it has a stained finish and the wood is left exposed.