Ibanez RGIB6 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by macgruber, Jan 20, 2017.

1. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

I haven't heard too much about this model. The specs look amazing, 28" scale and fixed bridge. I've heard its a pretty bass heavy guitar so I was gonna add some dimarzio pickups with a lot of treble to balance it out. I love the tone and feel of my m80m and am looking for something similar with 6 strings.

Ive heard the neck is pretty thick for an ibanez which is a little worrying, as I've been playing on thinner ibanez necks for the last 10 years. In the end, if it plays well and sounds good I reckon it'll be a winner...

Can anybody chime in on this guitar?

thanks!

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

From the last time someone posted about this guitar:

I've owned and loved the RGIB6...super comfy bridge, scale length means you can go all the way to drop F with no issues. Baritone scale means you can drop tune and use thinner strings, it can handle almost any tuning with ease. The scale length can be daunting, but it can be gotten used to. I bought mine used on here from a tech, so any issues were taken care of before I got it. That said, the thing was awesome. I ended up taking it apart and installing a pickguard and a Warpig and it honestly slayed all at the price point.

As far as the neck goes, it was seriously the biggest neck I've ever played on an Ibby...I've often compared it to a 50s Gibson neck with a flatter strip down the middle like an ESP has. I loved it, but I'm a big neck guy for 6ers and my main 6 is bigger than an R7 neck, for real. It's not unmanageable by any means though. The neck thickness fits the scale length, if that makes any sense...any thinner and it'd feel weird because of how long the neck is.

3. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

thanks for that. i searched and saw that post too :)

4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

No problem man. You're going to hear some different opinions, but I think they're badass guitars.