Ibanez RG9 Prototype

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by InfinityCollision, Jan 24, 2013.

1. SavM

SavM SS.org Regular

Ibanez easily have the sexiest headstocks when it comes to more than 6 strings, especially their reverse headstocks. Anyway great progress, can only give more fun!

2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Phew that cured my boner, thanks Alain

3. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

How long will it take for people to actually believe that Ibanez invented the 9 string?

4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

They did, didn't they? Them and Steve Vai.

:trollface:

5. thesnowdog

thesnowdog SS.org Regular

I believe you'll find it was Maestro Alex Gregory.

6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

You're all wrong, it was Gretsch and George Van Eps.

7. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

LOL

8. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

But does it djent ?
    [​IMG]

9. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Least relevant picture ever :lol:

I'm equally bummed and glad it's so much. Bummed because I'll never be able to afford it, but like Nick said, it cured my GAS :lol: and it's cool that it will likely be absolutely killer as a result of the factory :yesway:

If they release a budget model RG8-style for under ~$600 then I will buy one.

10. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

The RG8 is like $400, isn't it?

Also, is this picture even less relevant?

[​IMG]

No? I tried.

11. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

I'm no marketing expert, but opening with a 5k 9-string seems like an odd choice to me. That's pretty deep into custom territory, and anyone who's already familiar with 9-strings likely either 1) plays an Agile or 2) plays a competitively priced or quite possibly less expensive custom that in all likelihood has (arguably) superior specs. Aiming for a lower price point - 2.5k USD max - would've been a smarter move in my opinion. Hopefully we'll see cheaper versions in a timely manner.

12. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

They're aiming for a very particular market (dudes with a shit-ton of money who want a 9-string). At that price point they probably don't have to sell too many guitars to make it worthwhile to produce them. See also the Meshuggah signature guitar, which was even more expensive but still sold well AFAIK.

Also, many people don't base their purchasing decisions solely on economics. Sure you can get a custom 9-string for less than $5000, but if you want a custom IBANEZ 9-string, you may be willing to pay a premium for it.

13. DaddleCecapitation

DaddleCecapitation Manatees Last Breath

Needs airbrushed Fear Factory album cover graphics.

14. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

that top looks absolutely gorgeous.

15. Nemonic

Nemonic SS.org Regular

The Ibanez company makes me smile. I always look at the amazing look of their guitars, like the M8M, and then I look at the price. I do not see a reason why I should buy those guitars when I can have 3 custom shops. It more for the artist than for the people, which I do not say is bad for people, but it is bad for marketing. I do not believe that the wood is blessed by pope or somehow magical.
    Also I think that Tony will use extra higher string for this guitar.

16. ILuvPillows

ILuvPillows Baby seal will destr

^I really don't see how any individual can sincerely give Ibanez marketing advice. I mean they're a highly successful guitar company and by comparison I imagine that most people on this site either work a 9-5 jobs/don't have a job/are students.

In regards to the price, as previously mentioned it is an Ibanez. Ibanez have brand loyalty and whilst you could get 3 custom guitars/8 Prestiges/20 used fender MIMs etcetc the people who buy these guitar want an Ibanez. That's who they're marketing this to. Brand loyalty plays a huge role in all big businesses and they're using it to their advantage.

17. Variant

Variant Banned

:agreed: This has just gotten into the range of ridiculous, pointless nonsense.

I'm ordering one ASAP. :cool:

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Holy crap dude, good to see you back on here! I haven't seen your posts in months. This place has been feeling all trebley without you. :lol:

19. Variant

Variant Banned

Ha ha, that descriptor made me :yesway: so much!

Remember kids:

[​IMG]

As for the radio silence, there's been a number of reasons for my absence:

One, I've kinda abandoned forum life... mainly spurred by a certain members of a certain band (who don't post much here anymore, but still have moderator status) who are infamous for talking shit about countless bands, banning myself because because I talked shit about their respective band (solely as a litmus test of the good ol' dish-it/take-it dichotomy). My curiosity about that being the case was satisfied, and I got the boot for a while. :lol: Needless to say, I really don't have any interest in partaking in discussion where you have to be walking on eggshells in the shade of double-standards as such. All in all, I'm honestly a bit disenfranchised by the how bad the subgenre infighting has gotten in recent years in metal, and it's just a bit too high-school cliquey for me to stomach. I still lurk on-and-off, peering in on the SS.org playground from my inconspicuous cybervan.

Two, life's been all over the fucking place this last year, and I've moved away from music in general as a result. I moved back to Phoenix, Arizona back in April of 2012. At that time, I'd been out of work for going on four years and just straight up ran out of money. I couldn't afford to pay rent, buy food, the whole shebang... so, I sadly said goodbye to my bandmates and moved back in with my better parental unit (hi, mom). I kinda hung up anything musical to take a break from it, and got involved with an old friend here in starting a motorized bicycle company called Rude Boy! Motorbikes... and just last month, I FINALLY got an interview, and subsequently a job as a Sr. industrial designer at NJOY in Scottsdale. Fantastic position, fantastic company, fantastic compensation. Honestly, it's a little weird to go from an invisible, worthless burden to a valued commodity overnight. My early 30s have been a strange trip for certain. Met a new lady since I got back too. Still figuring things out in life, fo sho, but if I have anything to declare:

"Don't go to Portland!"
    [​IMG]

For the aforementioned reasons, you probably won't be hearing much from myself here in the future either. :( I may or may not get heavily into music again (Phoenix isn't particularly known for it's music scene), if anything, it'll be gradual. I just came on here because this pee pee compensator of a guitar has me GAS'ing pretty hard, and maybe some fresh gearspiration will get me back into making tunes again. The money from the new grownup gig will help... a lot! Anyway, derailing the thread.

/Ryborg out. [​IMG]

larry likes this.
  20. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

I couldn't agree more!:agreed:

Even though straight frets are a deal breaker for me I'm very happy to see Ibanez making this. :hbang: