Ibanez RG80F questions...

salman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I recently bought an Ibanez RG80F. Was looking for a cheap 8 string with Fishmans and this seemed like one of the least expensive option.

I was searching the forums for feedback regarding this guitar but couldn’t find too much info. One of the threads was suggesting changing the stock F108 bridge to Hipshot bridge. I'm no expert, can someone tell me what improvements will I get by upgrading to a Hipshot and is it worth the hassle? And would that require drilling new holes or are the two bridges similar enough to be easily interchangeable?

Any other suggestions to improve the guitar? Any feedback is welcome. Also, totally new to active pickups so any tips/suggestions about the battery is super welcome too. Thanks!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Don't worry about upgrading that bridge. Maybe the saddles, but the bridge is fine. That guitar is fine in pretty much every aspect as long as it's set up properly.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
I believe it's the metal used in the manufacturing of the bridge. Cheap stock hardware might have inferior alloy to cut cost. Hipshot makes drop-in replacements for Ibanez guitars. (for flat plate and Gibraltar style) They have the word "Ibby" in the product name for those.

As far as recommendations, get the guitar in your hands and see what you think needs upgrading. You might be fine with it as is.

Marv Attaxx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Swapping the bridge only makes sense if there is structural damage or if it's for whatever reason more uncomfortable and you find somethin better. But Ibanez bridges in general are not bad in any way and swapping the bridge out will make almost no difference. As mentioned before, you might wanna change the saddles (again, the originals are not bad in any way) but again, the difference will be barely perceptible. To be hones, in some cases I even prefer Ibanez hardware :lol:
For example the Gibraltar 2 is awesome, from the radius to the open-end saddles which is something the Hipshot replacement doesn't have and, depending on the intonation and position of the saddle, can make string changes kinda fiddly.
So long story short: keep it as it is :agreed:

Or if you really wanna do it, go ahead of course! But I'd rather give her some locking tuners first and maybe upgrade the nut to a graphtech one (iirc they offer straight up replacement nuts but you might have to drop them an E-Mail).

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like an OK bridge. You could prolly change saddles if you wanted a specific material instead.

Is the stocker gold finish or actual brass?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I concur. Play the guitar. Make a list of what you like most and least, and then go from there.

Changing the bridge is mostly an aesthetic thing, unless something is actually wrong with it. If you want better saddles, you could order Graphtec String Savers or whatever you prefer. There are other potential upgrades, but I'd be more likely to consider functional upgrades if I were you - things like replacing the 9V battery with the rechargeable battery for Fishmans, maybe a better nut if the stock one isn't great, or maybe better tuning machines if the stock ones are poor quality. But, if you like the guitar the way it is, why mess it up?

salman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like an OK bridge. You could prolly change saddles if you wanted a specific material instead.

Is the stocker gold finish or actual brass?
Erm, I'm not really sure if it is gold finish or brass... This is the first guitar I've ever played that has golden hardware in it... 🙂

salman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the valuable feedbacks!! Initial impression of the guitar is fine, and I'm going to follow your advice and leave it as it is for now. Love and cheers!