Ibanez RG8 vs Fender Squire Jazzmaster Baritone

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by soundbase, Dec 14, 2018.

1. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

I am wanting to go lower with my guitars. Currently have a Fender Squire Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe. I was looking at the Ibanez RG8, and then also came across good reviews on the Fender Jazzmaster Vintage Modified Baritone. With the 8 string, will obviously have more range, but man the Baritone Jazzmaster also looks and sounds awesome. plus with the 30-inch scale length could go quite low with it compared to the RG8 27-inch scale length

Which would you rather go for? I appreciate the feedback. Im ordering online so won't be able to test out the differences between the two. So going by videos have seen online. Thanks :)

BrailleDecibel likes this.
  2. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

If I were you,I would go with the Jazzmaster just for the sake of diversity;we have enough KMacs walking around chugging on an 8 string(no slight to Kmac,I like some of his content).

You may have to do your research and play around with some different pickups to get the sound you want though.

3. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel \m/

Jazzmaster, full stop. Do you with your music, and see where it takes you.

Love,
    Me. :D

Acaciastrain360 and lewis like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

Just purely for the scale length- jazzmaster.
    both have garbage stock pickups in them, though the rg8 is better suited to higher gain stuff. The jazzmaster singlecoils are way too round on the low end and noisy for my taste. the jm baritone is the only guitar that I've returned within a few days of buying it (fit and finish on mine was pretty mediocre at best, and it didn't sound that good).
    I've owned both and neither are going to be great guitars without a decent setup and some TLC.
    YMMV

BrailleDecibel and Bearitone like this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

for coolness and awesomeness = Jazzmaster

also, its a cheaper mod platform than the 8 string, with parts more easily available and I presume the routes under the pickguard would mean if the P90s weren't for you, it would be easy enough to put any humbucker in with a pickguard swap?

6. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Jazzmaster. If you want to go really low, scale length is where it’s at, not more strings.

Plus it’s a way better modding platform. Just go to warmoth, buy a custom pick guard, and slap whatever pickups/electronics you want in there. Seriously, you can have humbuckers in there if you want. You wont be limited to the comparatively smaller 8 string market.

EDIT: oops, I didn’t notice until now that i basically just said exactly what Lewis said lol.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Im going to buy myself one this year too I think.
    Do Warmoth do 24 fret replacement necks? Thats my only gripe really with it.
    Plus something not maple would be more interesting on the guitar.

8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I don’t think so. warmoth’s options for Bass Vi necks are pretty limited in terms of geometry (radius, neck profile, nut width, etc.)

And I actually don’t mind the maple neck, it’s the rosewood (or whatever brown wood) fretboard the bothers me. Black and brown just don’t go well together imo

lewis likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

In that case I might just take it off, sand it back to bare wood. And stain the neck/fretboard then re-coat with finishing oil :)

p.s completely agree regards to rosewood fretboards. I hate them and always will regardless of what guitar they are on.

10. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Any baritone over an 8 string.

11. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

BrailleDecibel and budda like this.
  12. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

I remember when these hit the market, and how pissed I was that they didn't put humbuckers in them.

Bearitone and BrailleDecibel like this.
  13. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel \m/

Same, only I also remember the part where I pulled my head out of my ass and ran over to Sweetwater to buy their remaining stock, so you all may have to buy one from me, but you all will get one someday HAHA. :D

budda and lewis like this.