Ibanez RG7620 action

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by cosmorenfro, Oct 14, 2020.

1. cosmorenfro

cosmorenfro SS.org Regular

hello friends. i have a 1997 RG7620. compared to my other 4 ibanez 7 strings with a lo-pro edge 7 the action seems a little high and is, for lack of a better term harder to play. even with the trem very low into the cavity. guitar seems to be set up well, neck looks good and is intonated. im using the same strings/gauge and tuning as my others. is this normal for these older 7 strings or is there anything that can be done to play/feel more like my k7/752’s? any help is greatly appreciated.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It's either set up well or it's not. The bridge might need to be lowered, the neck might need to be shimmed, or it might be something else. Impossible to tell without seeing it in person.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

There may just be a hair more neck relief on this guitar than your others, which would make the action a bit higher even with the bridge at the same height. On each of your guitars, apply pressure to the 1st and 24th frets and look at how much gap there is between the bottom of the 7th string and the top of the 7th fret. Make adjustments to the truss rod as needed to make the 7620 have the same relief as the other guitars.

You might also check to see if there's a shim under the locking nut that your other guitars may or may not have.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    In order to measure the neck relief, get a slotted straight edge and place it over the fingerboard, then measure the gap at the 12th fret with a gauge feeler on all the guitars with the same bridge and scale length.

Also check nut high at the 1st fret: press the 3rd fret and check the gap between the strings and 1st fret. It should be a sheet of paper thick.

IF neck relief is OK as well as Nut high, there might be a need for neck shims or bridge to go lower. If bridge going lower means fret buzz, either the neck relief isn't correct OR there might be some fret leveling needed. If bridge can't go lower for it being at the end of its travel path, then a neck shim may be on the horizon. I did grind my guitars' studs bottom end so they could go lower instead of shimming the neck. It works fine as well...

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

This is normal for 97's, specifically. The 97's are different than 98's and 99's. I never hear people talk about it but the rear route cavity and the neck pockets are different on the 97's. More than likely if you want lower actiion and everything is already tapped out then you'd need a shim in the neck pocket. probably a 1 or 2mm shim.
    - The 98's and onward have either a shallower neck pocket or the neck might be thicker at the heel.
    - The trem routes are a little different too but it doens't affect anything expect possibly with certain trem stoppers.

6. cosmorenfro

i believe what i need is a shim. whenever i think im learning more about my ibanez instruments i get thrown a curve ball, doing my best to be educated on matters such as this. thank you everyone.

odibrom and c7spheres like this.
  7. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

I've never had an Ibanez that didn't need a small shim to get stupid low action with appropriate bridge height, and I've owned >50

8. cosmorenfro

im gonna try to get it done this weekend and hopefully get it playing how i like.

9. cosmorenfro

just did my best to shim the neck, i think i did everything correctly. seems to have solved my problem, action is how i like it and the guitar just overall feels a lot better so im pretty happy.

10. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Cool, glad that everything worked out fine!, now go play the hell out of it.

11. cosmorenfro

i also noticed the high e was a little off alignment so i had to adjust the nut slightly since it was sliding off the neck too easily

c7spheres likes this.
  12. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I had to shim my 7620 neck, I had the trem bottomed out to where the bar was hitting the volume knob and it was like 1.8mm. Shimmed it and was able to get the same action as my other guitars but the trem was usable again.

13. cosmorenfro

i dont use a trem very often but just looking at mine i would have run into the same problem as you. i cut a piece of a cereal box as a tester, not actually expecting great results but so far its making my guitar feel/play incredible. still have the trem pretty sunken in, i had to use my phone light to see if the knife edge was flush with the body. no buzzing and relief looks good to my eyes.

14. cosmorenfro

im also noticing that im not alone in having my high e slide off the neck easily. its a little annoying but based on what ive read it was an issue with early model necks. i wonder if anyone has had a solution for this.

15. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi The Mario Clash

I just shimmed my ‘97 RG7620 a while ago because I hated how low I had to set the trem down for the action I liked. I see this is a common little issue on this model.

16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- This goes on though even year 2000 models too.
    - The only solutions I know of are to play more accurately (obiviously), adjust the nut (by moving it side to side) , or adjust the neck angle in the neck pocket by moving it side to side) which also gives more space to the higher frets too.
    - I think adjusting the neck angle in the pocket works best. Just slighty loosen the neck bolts (like to the point where they just become no longer tight) and while holding the guitar pull the neck up towards the lower strings causing the heel to shift in the pocket. You can see by looking at the high E string the space above the fretboard and between the edge of the fretboard getting larger. Tighten bolts down while it's in this position and re setup your guitar to accomodate. Then just play more precise too. It's obvious but if you play more precise the issue eventually goes away.

aesthyrian likes this.
  17. cosmorenfro

thank you! i adjusted the nut which did help noticeably, along with playing more accurately. im just so used to my newer ibanez’ that it seemed like more of an issue at first. im going to try adjusting the neck as well. all that aside im beyond excited how awesome this guitar sounds and feels. it reminds me a lot more of my 2001 K7 now more than any of my other ibanez’. now its just time to throw some bare knuckles in there. im thinking black hawks. its the only set i havent owned that interests me for this guitar specifically.

c7spheres likes this.
  18. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Yup. As an avid player of those early narrow width Ibby 7 string necks, I now have much better control and have adopted more appropriate vibrato techniques on the high E and low B strings.

c7spheres likes this.