Ibanez RG7421 (Indonesia) vs RG7621 (Japan)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Kawaii Besu, Jan 16, 2020 at 2:53 AM.

Which one?

1. Ibanez RG7421 (Indonesia)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ibanez RG7621 (Japan)

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Kawaii Besu

Kawaii Besu SS.org Regular

Hello all!

Lately, I've been jonesing for a seven-string. I played a Jackson JS22-7 and I liked how it feels. But I like the neck, looks, and versatility of the Ibanez models more. I guess the 26.5" on the Jackson is an advantage, but I will mostly play on Standard B/Drop A, if not Standard Bb/Drop Ab at most.

I saw a used RG7421 in mahogany oil for $334, just like the one I played. Which is perfect, since it will go well with the RG421 that I purchased recently and love dearly. But I saw a 1999 Fujigen-made RG7621, also used, in black for $510. The finish is not ideal, but the idea of owning a Japanese Ibanez is endearing to me. It has DiMarzio Custom 7 pickups as well, so I wonder if those would sound nicer than the Quantum pickups that I already liked.

Is it really worth the $176 for the Fujigen Ibanez? The Indonesian models already play nicely to me, but I wonder if it's worth sacrificing the sexy mahogany oil finish and more money for a superior, in theory, guitar.

Thanks, everyone!

P.S. the RG7621 doesn't come with the hard case.

Attached Files:

2. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

The black guitar isn't an RG7621, it's a Japanese made RG7421. I would still recommend it over the indo one, but the pickups are not DiMarzios and will need to be changed.

The quality of the MIJ ones is far beyond the MII ones.

trem licking, Kawaii Besu and odibrom like this.
  3. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I have both the RG7421 and Rg7620. Spend the extra cash and don't look back.

- The 7620 neck is the best I have. Fretwork is way better than on the 7421. Less fretbuzz and more stable in terms of tuning. The 7421 looses tuning too fast for my taste. (Though I must note that the 7620 has a floating trem)

- The pickups on both are not that great. But that's subjective since I'm not a big fan of DiMarzio in general.

I can't really comment on the body since I used the 7421 to build/assemble an FR7.
    Overall, you get better workmanship, quality control and parts with the 7620.

I'm an amature guitar player and Indo guitars are fine for me. But even I can tell the difference between these two guitars. I'd go for the RG7621. I have much love for my 7620, even though it is just plain black ;)

Kawaii Besu likes this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

As @BillCosby said, the black guitar (MIJ) is a regular model, not a Prestige level one. Model name is RG7421 and doesn't come with DiMarzios from factory. I have one of those and modified it to hell and back. Super reliable work horses. Body is Basswood.

About the MII one, I haven't tried any of those, but fretwork is something that can be done with easy if you know the step-by-step. If not, a local luthier can do a fret level to the guitar and make it play awesomely for a fair price (less than the difference between the 2 of those).

The price of the MIJ RG7421 is a bit high, I don't think it's worth that much for a 22 years regular production guitar. About the hardware quality, the MII one has less wear, so it should last longer.

Finaly, I prefer Mahogany body guitars, somehow they resonate better with me, but mine are trem loaded and the Basswood ones are fixed bridge, so there's a huge difference there. Nevertheless, there's a thought to think about.

I'd say to go the Indo route and eventually do a fret level and pro set-up job to make it play smoothly, still less than the MIJ asked price. A guitar's setup is everything for it to shine through.

Kawaii Besu likes this.
  5. Kawaii Besu

Kawaii Besu SS.org Regular

Not sure, but the serial says it's made in 1999. And I've read in the Ibanez Wiki that MIJ RG7421s were made from 2000-2002. Granted, it's a wiki and it could be anyone's edit that made that. Or maybe it could really be an RG7421 but 'produced in 1999, released in 2000' kind of thing. This could be possible, considering it's made in November 1999 (thanks guitar serial decoder).

82499401_214089392963533_2750511311354855424_o.jpg

Edit: Maybe it really is a 7421 because of the pole pieces of the pickup. DiMarzios seem to have full hexagonal pole pieces, while the Ibanez V87s have half-hexagonal, half-circular pole-pieces.

[​IMG]
    82302980_214089109630228_4832203421954080768_o.jpg

Guess I'll get the MII 7421. Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 7:06 AM
  6. odibrom

odibrom .

You can distinguish them by the pickups ears/tabs' routing. 76**s have "triangular" shaped ears while 74**s have more "rectangular" ones. Other than that and obviously the original pickups, 7621 and 7421 are almost identical guitars, construction wise. They also shared their necks, either in the fixed bridge or trem models. As for the trem models, besides the pickup routing, 7620 came with LoPro Edge while the 7420 had the Lo TRS vibrato unit. The 7621 has slightly different saddles than the 7421 and probably better electronics inside.

Nevertheless, imo, I'd go for the Indo guitar, just for the mahogany body and lower price tag and then change everything else I think would be in need later down the road. Fret dressing/leveling isn't that expensive on a good luthier and you'll probably have to change the pickups on any of those guitars. Besides, I'm kind of bored with black guitars...