Ibanez Rg7321 - is it good?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Prometheus, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Prometheus

Prometheus Oh no, no you don't!

Hi there

I'm posting this in two other forums, in an attempt to get maximum exposure. Here goes -

I want a seven string. I've been playing my Ibanez RG-570 for the past five years, and while I'm no Vai, I'm not bad. I always seem to write stuff that makes me go "man, I wish I had that extra string!". About the only reasonably priced seven string is the Ibanez RG7321, which actually seems to be a really decent guitar, especially for the price. I live in South Africa, so there is really no other choice.

What I need to know is, will I regret buying it? It's got all the features I want (double hum, fixed bridge, strings through body), it seems really good, but are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

What are your opinions of this guitar? Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

2. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

I don't own one, but I liked every one that I've played. I'm not a gear snob, most of my guitars are midrange. Is it a UV7? No. Is it a nice, affordable, good sounding, good playing guitar? Absolutely.

Will you like it if you buy one? I'm going with: :yesway:

3. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

From what i hear its better to get a used RG7421 or RG7621 but if thats not an option, by all means.

4. Prometheus

Thanks, guys, as far as I'm aware, you CANNOT get used 7620's or 7621's (that was my first choice, and I looked and enquired at every guitar shop and importer, as well as perusing the want-ads - absolutely nothing. Sevenstrings are really rare in South Africa). Anyway, I pretty much have my heart set on the 7321. It's actually arriving on a big shipment with tons of other guitars, but the ONLY other seven strings are the K-7 and UV777BK, which are both so far out of my price range, it's not even funny. So it is the 7321 or bust, and as by all acccounts it is decent, even really good value for the price, I shall be ordering one as soon as the arrive. Thanks again for your opinions.

5. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

if you can use ebay, then you could easily claim a 7421 or 7621. But then yeah, if its not an option, go ahead.

6. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

South Africa! Sweet!

I think the UV777BK is out of most people's price range, but that has never stopped me from drooling over it. :D I've played a 7321 before, I liked it a bunch. Good luck!

7. Prophecy420

Prophecy420 BEADGBE

Hey, I have a 7321. :) I'm very happy with it - stock p/u's too

8. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

just remember one thing when guitar shopping , you cant go wrong with ibanez :hbang:

9. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

:agreed:
    +1

10. Vince

Vince Contributor

yes.

11. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

:agreed:

12. Prometheus

Thanks, guys, I will DEFINATELY be buying the 7321. Just gotta sell my RG570 first, to generate some funds. I'll have to survive on my el cheapo acoustic :)

13. Ibanez_fanboy

Ibanez_fanboy I want a 1527!!

im hoping so since im getttting this guitar in a few weeks

14. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

Upgrade to the pickups of your choice and you'll have a guitar that will stand its ground against anything. Really.

15. Mastodon

Mastodon Songs about My Cats

The only complaint I have about it (or that I've ever read) is that the pick-ups aren't all that great. They aren't HORRIBLE but they're not the greatest sounding.

16. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I've found the four or so I've played to be very consistent. Not lights-out awesome, but certainly not bad, and excellent for the minimal price...

17. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

I own an RG7321, RG7620 and RG7621. The RG7321 is the one that gets played the most. The neck profile and body contours on the RG7621 are slightly more comfortable, but there's very little in it. I'd actually play them equally if my RG7621 had passive pickups as opposed to the EMG's that were in it when I got it.

The only thing's I'd reccomend you do on the RG7321 are to change the pickups and give it a good setup, but everyone sets up a guitar to their liking when they first get it anyway. The stock pickups are rather muddy to my ears, but the guitar comes alive with a set of Dimarzio's.

Everything that has already been said in this thread is true, it is a fantastic guitar for the money. A lot of the member here own one, and I've never heard any of them say they regret buying one. With some better pickups it is a guitar that you will play for years.

Welcome to the world of 7 strings!

18. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

My buddy had the 7321, before he switched to bass. Nice guitar, felt pretty much like my RG421 with an extra string, even though the 421 is MIJ. Great price too.

Comes in any color you want, as long as it's black. :lol:

19. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    I like the 7321. With EMG's put in it's a superbly playable guitar. Nice neck, binding, you name it. And if you want to upgrade bits you can. I really liked the one i played. Great neck. With a good setup it's amazing value for money.

I also own two UV's by the way, so this is from someone who could be seen as a gear snob!

20. nitelightboy

nitelightboy I poop in shoes. Contributor

I have 2 7321's and a 7621. I love em all. Right now though, the 7621 is my main guitar, just because it's the newest in my collection. If you do opt for the 7321, make sure to put some cash on the side to change the pick ups. They're not terrible, but you can do alot better. Overall, very sweet ax that I highly recommend!!:metal: