Ibanez RG655M vs Rg550 Genesis

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got one of each of these on my radar, both at the same price
I don't know which one would be preferable the 550 has a Super Wizard neck the 655M a Super Wizard HP (like my 657MSK)
is the non HP profile different?
I know the neck joints are different and the pickups are different (are the V7, V8 any good or am I going to have to rip them out )
on a kind of RG kick so I'm interested in either one of these as I've become accustomed to the neck on my 657 so I don't hate it any longer :)

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you can feel the differences in those neck profiles when playing tbh. I'd grab the 655M. The pups in the 550 are jack of all trades but masters of none....trust me....you will feel the need to swap those out.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably 655M unless you want a neon color like I did :lol:

The AANJ is superior to the tilt joint in all regards, and the TZ/AN combo is probably better than the V7/V8, although they aren't terrible they do seem a bit low output compared to my other guitars.

jl-austin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My experience is that the 655 will have a slightly wider feeling neck. The Genesis will have the classic wizard neck (which after playing modern Ibanez wizard necks) feels just slightly more narrow.

I prefer the modern Ibanez neck for thicker strings and down tuning. I prefer the genesis neck for standard tuning.

cowboystring

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Both are great guitars, but I'd go with the 655. the 550 has the old school squared neck joint whereas the 655 has the much smoother, easy access AANJ

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys I was ready to pull the trigger on the 655 and I asked for a close up of the frets.
a lot of wear, a crown may have been ok but I like big frets so I passed on it. I was going to get a H/S/S pickguard for it and turn it into a Prestige 560 LOL!
and the 550 just sold while I was off doing other stuff :( M*ther F****er

Last edited:

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Rg550 because its modern classic. Imho the bridge pickup is meh, but the neck pu is ok. If it had aanj it would be almost perfect. The neck profile is just great. And important factor for me: black hardware.

zw470

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For me it would probably just come down to whatever color I wanted the most.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Super Wizard HP is the exact same profile as the Super Wizard. The only difference is that the HP version is reinforced with titanium rods (a more expensive spec that is, at least theoretically, an upgrade).
Any anecdotal experiences of there being a difference between Super Wizard and Super Wizard HP can be explained by the margin of tolerance during manufacture. If you take any two (non-HP) Super Wizard necks, they will not be of 100% identical dimensions.

I consider the Genesis series to be a more affordable but slightly inferior replacement of the RG65X series (652, 655 & 657). Aside from AANJ vs. tilt joint (AANJ is the clear winner for me), the RG655 comes with a hard case that costs about £120-150 (Genesis with soft gig bag only) and superior pickups (that have higher resale value than the Genesis pickups). The only other differences that I'm aware of are 'cosmo black' hardware vs. 'black' hardware and body colour options (both purely aesthetic). If the two guitars are similar price, I would find it hard to justify choosing the Genesis.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Super Wizard HP is the exact same profile as the Super Wizard. The only difference is that the HP version is reinforced with titanium rods (a more expensive spec that is, at least theoretically, an upgrade).
Any anecdotal experiences of there being a difference between Super Wizard and Super Wizard HP can be explained by the margin of tolerance during manufacture. If you take any two (non-HP) Super Wizard necks, they will not be of 100% identical dimensions.

I consider the Genesis series to be a more affordable but slightly inferior replacement of the RG65X series (652, 655 & 657). Aside from AANJ vs. tilt joint (AANJ is the clear winner for me), the RG655 comes with a hard case that costs about £120-150 (Genesis with soft gig bag only) and superior pickups (that have higher resale value than the Genesis pickups). The only other differences that I'm aware of are 'cosmo black' hardware vs. 'black' hardware and body colour options (both purely aesthetic). If the two guitars are similar price, I would find it hard to justify choosing the Genesis.

Genesis doesn't come with a gig bag anymore, so one more point for the 65x series and the cases they got.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah... that poop brown fretboard would bother me. The color scheme: blue body color and rosewood fingerboard looks like a poo in the pool :lol:
Dirty / stained maple boards bother me, while clean 'as new' looking rosewood boards look nice.
And I hate galaxy black hardware with passion ;-)
I presume you mean cosmo black (galaxy black is one of Ibanez's many black paint finishes). I like it...just a shame it tarnishes so easily.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Dirty / stained maple boards bother me, while clean 'as new' looking rosewood boards look nice.

I presume you mean cosmo black (galaxy black is one of Ibanez's many black paint finishes). I like it...just a shame it tarnishes so easily.
Yeah… I messed up galaxy with cosmo blacks.
Regarding the fretboards.. I currently have 9 guitars with maple boards and the only one that looks 80% clean is the used MIM Jackson Dinky neck that I bought on ebay for my acrylic headless project. The other ones look pristine. And I play quite a lot.