Ibanez RG5328 Total Failure/Disappointment

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Carl Kolchak, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Yeah, I wasn't addressing you and your situation bud. That's why I quoted @laxu specifically. Good talk though.

2. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

I’ve done several thanks. To say the fretwork on all factory guitars is trash is fucking bullshit and you know it.

erdiablo666 likes this.
  3. j3ps3

j3ps3 SS.org Regular

I literally said that is not what I'm saying.

4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Every guitar I have owned, regardless of price has never needed anything done with frets....even after years of owning the guitar...no fret sprouts or anything. :coffee:

TO the OP, sorry you received such a shit guitar :(

zenonshandro and trem licking like this.
  5. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

No doubt. A guitar that expensive shouldn't have sharp frets. Period. Prestige is a branding that is supposed to match the word it was named for. Sharp frets aren't excusable. Especially when its such an easy detail to fix.

Fret sprout can happen to anything. Well made or not. Could happen on the way to a shop while in a box, or from the shop to you. Easy fix, and not expensive.

Were this my situation, I'd have had the guitar addressed by a reputable tech and requested a refund for the amount required to fix it. Especially if the guitar was in otherwise acceptably new condition. Gibsons often need a dressing, leveling, and setup out of box. At their price point, I can't justify that. I'd have to play a Gibson extensively, love the tone and feel overall, and feel like the guitar is something missing from my collection. If it had fret and setup issues, I'd have the shop address them before purchase. My local shop generally does this before the guitars hit the floor though.

6. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Update.

Sam Ash is dragging their feet issuing me a refund. It seems my refund should have been processed yesterday, this according to the csr I spoke to. Well. yesterday came and went, and no notification that my refund had been processed. I reached out to Sam Ash this morning, and was told that I'd be receiving an email later today informing me that my refund had been processed. Still nothing. I spoke to the same csr I'd spoken to yesterday, and he said that he'd red flagged it for management, but had no idea why the returns department hadn't already taken care of it.

Seriously?

WTF?!?!

Suffice to say I'll be one the phone with my bank tomorrow morning.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Moral of the story: if you’re not buying from Rich Harris from Ibanez Rules, you shouldn’t buy an Ibanez. Period.

Fujigen just isn’t as consistent as they used to be, HUSA has never been known for their great vetting of guitars, and none of the big box stores give a shit.

8. LordHar

LordHar SS.org Regular

I'm surrounded by Ibanez Prestige, Premium and Artist models with zero problems with frets or anything else.

Wildebeest likes this.
  9. Carl Kolchak

After spending about half an hour being bounced to various low-born Sam Ash csr peons, I was basically told my refund will be processed whenever they get off their fat, lazy asses and do it. Basically, nothing more I can do on my end now but file a complaint with Amazon, which I did.

So yeah, I was stupid to buy a new Ibanez, and even stupider to buy it through Sam Ash. Hopefully, someone reading this can benefit from my misfortune, and save themselves the headaches this shitfest have been giving me.

Musiscience, GoldDragon and lewis like this.
  10. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

Kinda ridiculous to generalize one lemon/bad experience to the entire prestige line and entire Sam Ash store, both of which are highly regarded

Like many on this board I've had >10 prestiges with zero fret issues, better fretwork and lower action than other high end 3k+ guitars

Quite possible climate changes contributed to the problem and current employment issues are affecting Sam ash's QC/CS

Returns are a risk with any guitar not bought or tested in person, regardless of used, new, brand, price point, we've all done it. The rage is probably over the top

If we all made a thread every time we got a lemon, even on a pricey guitar, this whole board would be a bitch fest

11. Carl Kolchak

Meh.

mbardu and lewis like this.
  12. Daevasmodeus

Daevasmodeus SS.org Regular

While it's not the same guitar, I recently picked up an RG2027XL, which has the exact same binding and fretboard wood and it's absolutely perfect. I purchased it from Sweetwater, so I cannot confirm whether they did any fret polishing for QA or not. However in looking at the RG5328 Sweetwater currently has in stock, it looks like the fret ends are well inside the binding which compared to mine suggests the frets are probably good. I'm pretty confident Sweetwater would never let something like this situation ship out, let alone accept receipt of a guitar in this condition from Ibanez.

If you ordered this through Amazon, regardless of Sam Ash being the Amazon vendor, I'm surprised you even received a non-counterfeit Ibanez, let alone one without shipping temperature/humitidy damage. Amazon can't even deliver me guitar picks or strings right now without sending an empty box first or losing the package. Sam Ash's reviews on Amazon are also pretty mixed, so while their brick and mortar stores might be reliable, it seems evident that going through Amazon isn't.

Musiscience and LordHar like this.
  13. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

A few years back I bought an RGD2120Z (is that the model number? I just can't fucking remember Ibanez model numbers excep the RG550...) I had to return it as I could find the "Prestige fret end treatment"... all fret ends were sharp as yours. Also the case was broken.
    Fortunately I am in Europe and I bought the guitar in Thomann. Two days later the service (I don't remember... DHL I guess) came to pick up the guitar and another two days later more I had the money back...
    That was the first time I bought a new Ibanez "because only buy a Prestige because anything else doesn't worth the money" (you know... SSO) and it also was my last time because never ever I had a guitar that bad. Also the V77 and V78 or whatever pickups weren't very good... a year later I got in an exchange a Premium RG970 and was an amazing guitar, great great great frets and the stock pickups were very usable (I sold it anyway) but I was so dissappointed with Ibanez guitars that I know I will never have one again so... I feel you.
    You did right!

14. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Sounds like they are heading into Gibson territory.

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

My last ibanez prestige had the razor sharp unfinished ends and multiple high spots. Took a lot of work to get it to play like my 1527 and completely put me off buying from Ibanez again unless i can return them easy.

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  16. Carl Kolchak

I feel your pain.

17. zenonshandro

zenonshandro SS.org Regular

I got my hands on the RG5328 and noticed similar shoddy fret ends. It's hard to believe.

18. 73647k

73647k SS.org Regular

Was this a guitar that you purchased or an in-store demo?

zenonshandro likes this.
  19. zenonshandro

zenonshandro SS.org Regular

This was in-store stock at a local Canadian retailer. Around $2,600 CAD. I'm one of those guys who's always hearing positive words from other Ibanez prestige owners, but I've failed to come across one that impresses me.

20. 73647k

73647k SS.org Regular

Any reviews that I've come across online for this model (outside of the forum) have been great so I wonder if it just comes down to whether or not a shit batch of these made their way out of the factory. I've got a 7-string prestige that plays like a dream.

I'm going to grab one of these in a few weeks once they're in stock again here in the US so we'll see what happens.

zenonshandro likes this.