Ibanez RG2228-GK or RG2228A-BK ?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by EstebanAliceanna17, Apr 9, 2014.

1. EstebanAliceanna17

EstebanAliceanna17 EstebanAliceanna17

Hello people this is my first post in this forum. I have been playing guitar and 5 string bass for a couple of years and after listening to Periphery and Animals as Leaders I found that it was the kind of style I nearly wanted to play and one month ago I decided to buy an 8 string guitar because as a bassist and guitarist I feel the need of having both ranges im a same instrument(I already have experience with 7 string guitar anyway:p)

My budget is not able to reach a Mayones nor any other +£1500(1800€) guitar so this post is about the Ibanez RG2228 and RG2228A , the only ERG manufacturer that I think that fits on me and the best 8 string guitars I found afordable and good for me.

I would like to get some advices about both guitars, they are basically the same but the difrence is that the RG2228 comes with EMG 808's active pickups and the RG2228A with passive DiMarzio D Activators 8 pickups.... What would you choose if you were going to play various styles like Djent(Periphery), Progressive metal(Dream Theatufer) and the fussion of jazz and metal of Animals as Leaders? A defined, crunch and with body low end with mellow meedles, bright highs and a high output? And if I want to change their pickups for another ones?which one would be better to modify? Thank you.

2. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

I'd get the RG2228A.I've heard more good about the D Activators than the 808s,but Periphery did use 808s for Ji.Tosin Abasi used 808x for awhile.If the DAs don't satisfy you,I'd go for Ionizers,the Sentient/Pegasus,or BKP Juggernauts.I haven't played these,but I know that they were made for that type of tone.If you go with the RG2228,you can still try out the 808Xs or 57-8/66-8.

3. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

I vote that you pick up whichever one you can find a better deal on & install whatever pickups you want in it! Here's my RG2228m with a Painkiller set & rings from Frets on the Net:

[​IMG]

4. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

Get the RG2228A. The DA8s are great, no need to swap. If you feel like swopping down the line, the passive market for 8-string PUs seems much bigger than the active market these days.

5. EstebanAliceanna17

But in your opinion which guitar would be better if I want to change the pickups? I've seen that the EMG's are more difficult to replace due to its big size but dimarzio has a standard size and in this case the RG2228A would have more options for a replacement of pickups isnt it?:scratch:

6. EstebanAliceanna17

Yeaaah that's what Im thinking to do because I dont want to stay with the pickups that come from stock with the guitar but I dont know which option would be better for a tight and clean low end and mellow mid and bright highs...I have never used any of those pickups:ugh:

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Go passive, compadre! :hbang:

8. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

You should try the D Activators first before ultimately saying you wouldn't wanna stay with them. I have actually gone from Lundgrens back to D Activators in the past, just to give you an example. The D Activator 8s are very well voiced, they are by no means some cheap Ibanez stock pickup.

9. Johnathan

Johnathan Gearhead

I have a RG2228-GK where I've replaced the EMG 808s with Lundgren M8s. Mainly got the GK version just cause I absolutely LOVE the finish on it. The decision was based on aesthetics since I already had planned to put Lundgrens in it no matter which model i got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. trayenshreds

trayenshreds sweep tapz brah

I got an RG2228A - DActivators and 5 way toggle (I NEED TEH SINGLE COILZ!)

But seriously, you could mod out any pickups and or a toggle switch if need be. I just wanted everything to be clean and tidy from the beginning, so the 2228A was an obvious decision. No mods necessary, no large pup pots due to EMG sizing, 5 way toggle already installed.. and I have to say it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

In the end do whats best for you!

11. EstebanAliceanna17

Yeahhh arriba the passives hermano!

12. EstebanAliceanna17

Yeah Im definetely gonna get the passive one..! Thanks a lot men now I have to decide which amp should get for this kind of guitar xD

13. EstebanAliceanna17

Thank you man your opinion helped me to decide !!! Passives!

14. MannyMoonjava

MannyMoonjava 8string ChillHop

I have tried both; EMG for cleans, DA for everything else

15. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

If you want versatility go for the GK with 808, since Deacti would scream too much.
    If you want the BROOTZ go for the Deacti \m/