Ibanez RG2228 Battery location?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Anodyne, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Anodyne

Anodyne SS.org Regular

Hey guys, so I have an RG2228 that's had BK Aftermath's swapped into it before I owned it but I'm having my tech swap in some Fluence Abasi's in it soon but the thing is he isn't 100% sure there will be room for the 9V battery. Now I know that this particular guitar came with EMG's stock due to the pickup routing (I know they had some with passive Dimarzio's but those ones obviously had slightly different routing to fit those).

So my question is do any of you who've owned this guitar with EMG's know where the battery was stored originally or where it could fit? Ideally if anyone owns one with actives and has a picture of how they have their control cavity set up that would be perfect! For some reason it's impossible to come by some pictures of how the control cavity is set-up for this guitar.

I ask because I'd really like to avoid having to route an extra spot to fit the battery but it might not even be an issue because some space will be freed up in removing a cap that's wired in for the tone and I wont be wiring the tone pot, just a push-pull volume with a 5-way.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Battery is stored in the control cavity and it's a tight fit.

I put the Abasi set in my J Custom 8 and it didn't fit with the vol+tone, push/pull and 5 way. It does fit if you use just one pot though, which you are. Or if you can get a more compact switch, like a megaswitch.

Anodyne likes this.
  3. benny

benny Ibanez RG Addict

Like @StevenC said, in the stock cavity the battery is just crammed in.

[​IMG]

Adieu and Anodyne like this.
  4. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I've had EMGs in it. The battery is in the control cavity.

I did an 18v mod. Both batteries fit in the control cavity.

I now have Fluence Abasis. The battery fits with a new 5-way switch.

You'll be fine.

Anodyne likes this.
  5. Anodyne

Anodyne SS.org Regular

Sweet, you guys are the best! :cheers: I appreciate the info and affirmation. Big thanks @benny for the photo!

benny likes this.