Ibanez RG1121PB Caribbean Islet Flat

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by EricSVT18, Aug 1, 2020.

1. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Infamous is the word you are looking for :yesway:

2. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Cool. At the end of the day I guess I shouldn't be surprised that differing opinions or opposite points quickly incite personal vendetta. You went there in only a handful of posts, nice! I guess the circlejerking on the used Prestige is just too strong. After all it's still the same SSO as it always has been.

Reet likes this.
  3. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Well on behalf of the forum, please accept my sincerest apologies for not completely agreeing with you whilst you occupy the self appointed moral high ground.

Brb just going to burn my awful prestiges.

buck fever likes this.
  4. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I accept your apologies, no hard feeling. And it's OK you can breathe. Nobody said all Prestiges were bad. You are safe. This is still a safe space and everyone will agree with you.

If you do want to get rid of them though, please don't burn them. Feel free to send them my way instead. I'll pay shipping to take them off your hands. As I mentioned, they can be great guitars and I wouldn't mind a couple. You know what, I'll even pay 500$ for the mint ones if that works for you. Since you think 500$ is a fair price then I guess we have a deal.

Looking forward to that transaction, cheers!

5. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

I'm not selling those right now. I have a mayones you can take for £1600 though :yesway:

I'm not sure how long you have been posting, historically the forum went through a great civil war between the two sides of its membership. The great wide-necks known as the supporters of schecter battled with the traditionalist thin-necks of the Ibanez fandom.

It was a long and bitter battle, that was only resolved when Schecter themselves conceded and determined that the only way to resolve this eternal conflict was by evolving their own baseball bat neck archetype and embracing the thin-neck way of life.

trem licking and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  6. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Cool story bro. I have no idea why Schecter is relevant to the discussion at all, but you did type a little paragraph to make it look like you changed the subject so...I guess congratulations?

Too bad for the guitars though, I was really looking forward! If you change your mind I'll even up my offer to 599$ for each mint Prestige. If 500$ is a fair price, then 20% extra should be more than a great deal for you. Cheers and bye!

7. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

3rd time a charm?

buck fever likes this.
  8. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Post a Kiesel vs Ibanez Prestige thread.

Its the only way to be sure.

9. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

We'll see i guess. If I'm attacked, I'll reply. If not then probably not.

See buddy, you didn't have to worry, you now have the hateful support of your like-minded peer (also with usually few arguments but still a clear personal vendetta against me somehow) to continue the circle jerking. You guys have fun! It's just weird having stalkers, NGL. As usual, I didn't bring Kiesel up, but it sounds like it's living rent free in many people's heads, even when we're speaking about something totally different!

Since we're almost there, I'm curious what justification you guys will find to call me a paid Kiesel shill here. In a topic where I recommend trying an Ibanez Premium because it's likely to be pretty good. Or will it be that I am also a paid Ibanez Premium shill, but however at the same time also a paid Ibanez Prestige troll...by saying they can be pretty great? Like a triple reverse-psychology agent? Curious to see the logic when you figure it out!

Anyway, I see you're playing hard to get so I'll even up my offer to 649.99$ per mint prestige. At that price it's an offer you cannot refuse right? A whole 30% over fair value. Let me know and looking forward to that!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  10. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

The move isn't to buy a guitar new that depreciates by half within 5 years

buck fever likes this.
  11. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Shit!! I went to the kitchen to make some popcorn but I think I'm late for the party...

12. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

@EricSVT18 I hope your still here. Let us know if you tried it out. I too like this model.

13. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

You didn't miss much haha :lol:
    Apparently I have people following me around to make jokes about Kiesel...as if that's related to the topic at hand...

Anyway, I'm such a hater of Ibanez apparently that this thread made me nostalgic. I pulled up the pictures I could still find (after a computer wreck) of a few related Ibanez I've had in the last couple of years.
    Related as in majority MIJ (pre-prestige Fujigen, Prestige or J-Custom I don't care) and 2 premiums out of the 4 I actually owned.
    https://imgur.com/a/MOb7qJ4

Out of all those, plus quite a few I no longer have pictures of, there was not one bad guitar, but the premium RG6PCMLTD was easily top 3.

As for value and depreciation? I paid probably 750 for mine, and sold it for more than 800.
    Plus, IMHO people shit on the premium because of some bad samples (which happen with Prestige just the same as with premium), and because of the "inertia" of the Fujigen/Prestige name + stigma against Indo guitars. But you know what, MIJ Ibanez (MIJ everything actually) had the exact same stigma against them a few decades ago. I wouldn't be surprised if something like an RG6PCMLTD (or the RG1121PB of the OP for that matter) ends up increasing in value in the long run as the stigma fades away and people actually give it a chance besides "oh it's not F therefore it sucks".

Even if it were to drop to the magical "500$" mark (I very much doubt it would go any lower than that 6/700 realistically, but what do I know), that would be 500 off the new price, which is not that much if you compare with the price of branded pickups, a refret, a better condition guitar with better features, locking tuners, a solid finish that will last and not need touch ups etc + zero hassle and time (which some people do value).

14. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

I wish I knew where these $500 Prestige's are that everyone is talking about.

mbardu likes this.
  15. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

I wasn’t talking at or about you at all

Premiums aren’t good value new off the shelf at all and never will be

16. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

If you thought "You didn't miss much" was addressed to you, then on top of being pretty aggressive for no good reason (did someone hurt you?), you didn't read right.
    That was intended for the poster just below you.

But hey, since you're directly talking to me now...

Geez. Then I guess regardless of why guitars don't depreciate like cars, regardless of all the reasons above why it's more nuanced than just some guy declaring "they're not good value because I said so and don't care about actual arguments", regardless of all that it must be even worse for Prestiges right?

After all, they can now retail for >2k$ new, while they sell for 500$ on the used market apparently! Losing 1500$ on a Prestige vs maybe losing 500$ on a Premium. I mean, after all if we're going with hyperbole, then why not :lol: . What a depreciation, right! Losing 3/4 of its value? At least the premium loses only half!

Anyway, value is subjective. Some people prefer a clean guitar that works out of the box, with good frets, no finish cracks, modern features, good pickups, over a 30 year old guitar which will be missing in one or many of those areas- and require patience, TLC, and compromise albeit at a cheaper price. And it might sound crazy, but some people (maybe not you and me) are willing to buy new. If they weren't, then manufacturers wouldn't be building new guitars anyway. But you know what? Used premiums are a thing too - they're not magically restricted to new.

17. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

On the topic of used Prestiges and the actual costs, I grabbed an '87 RG550 for $350 last year, and a RG7620 for $550 a couple of years ago, both in great shape. Not saying deals like that happen often, but they aren't non-existent. Waaay back I swiped a RG7 J Custom for $1300. Those were the days...

Keep in mind these prices are in CAD - I know the loonie was stronger back then but it certainly wasn't 1:1.

18. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

Nice!

I just picked up a beautiful RG1527 in Portland for $575, with a case. Has a couple of minor knocks but otherwise feels new!

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  19. EricSVT18

EricSVT18 SS.org Regular

I pulled the trigger and ordered one. It should be here today or tomorrow. I will post pics when it comes.

20. Reet

Reet SS.org Regular

I also orderded the 7 string version. It should be here Thursday and i'll report back. I've played a few Premiums and loved them. Way better fretwork/ fret ends than the Prestiges i've owned. I could care less where guitars are made these days honestly.

LordHar, mbardu and mlp187 like this.