Ibanez prestige 7 Limited Run models

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by beyondcosmos, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I have the purple quilt 7 from the Axe Palace run. I was thisclose to getting the wild cherry blossom run going on now, but I don't really like rosewood FBs. And I am running out of things to see to raise money. :lol: But I think they're very well built. I can get really low action, and the fret work is great. I have zero concerns, and would buy another. In fact, I was kind of looking around for a used WGRG7, but they're just too similar to rationalize getting one. Right now a few of us are trying to convince Nick to do an 8 string run!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

I bought a RG752MQM-SLG. It's my first Prestige, one of the mahogany models, weighs 3.8kg. It's perfectly acceptable to me, plenty comfortable, and I'm used to S-series.

It sounds great. PAF7 in the bridge was a surprise, it sounds fresh and it's tight.

Setup was super easy. Ibanez has gone back to shimming the nuts on these, so you don't need to remove material from the nut shelf to get great action at the 1st fret. Also, this is widely known by now, but they doesn't do the prestige fret end treatment on maple fretboards. However, the fretboard's edges are nicely rolled and it's a non-issue. Mine didn't have any sharp fret ends.

Fit and finish is great. Better than my WMI guitar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    nikt, M3CHK1LLA, couverdure and 2 others like this.
  3. NovaLion

NovaLion Novum Ingenium

Is the RG752MQFXS that ice blue one with the maple board? I keep kicking myself for missing that one.

4. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Anyone know how thick the maple tops are on the Prestige models? I know they are not a veneer, but I take it they're only a few mm thick, about the depth of the binding. Are most J.Customs the same thickness?

@MaxOfMetal, you might know!

5. Asdef

Asdef SS.org Regular

On my RG752MQM there is only veneer. So no real top.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Typically they receive 3mm to 5mm drop tops, similar to Suhr or Anderson.

They are not technically veneers, which are paper thin (less than 1mm) and supported by a substrate.

Some J.Customs have full 10mm to 14mm tops, but not all of them. It depends on the model and it's typically clearly stated when they have tops that thick.

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  7. Petar Bogdanov

Pretty sure it's a veneer. The upcharge over ash is only 50 euros and the top actually looks good, on an Ibanez, of all brands. The RG3000 series still has thick tops and so does J Custom, from what I can tell.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They might be veneers on some of them. I honestly don't know about the limited stuff as the dealer specs them out.

Either way, it's only for aesthetic purposes. You're not going to get a "real" top on things like this unless you're spending a good amount more.

9. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

My year 2015 RG652KFX-KB had an acacia wood veneer. It was limited at that time, but afterwards it became a production model.

10. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

I just put mine up for sale yesterday on Reverb if you're interested. I don't have the link on me because I'm at work, but should be pretty easy to find as it's the only one.

11. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    This thread needs more photos...

takotakumi and r33per like this.
  12. Aaron

Aaron SS.org Regular

13. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

They are technically veneer's as they are thinner then 1mm. No prestige RG has seen what people would call a "top" since the RG3727.

If it has white binding on the body then its always a veneer.

That was my dream RG752, but of course us aussies never got them. I was praying this was going to be a production model in 2018.

14. Petar Bogdanov

Well, my dream was the purple flame JDM version with no inlays, which is easier to get for you. :lol:

15. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

So we've done 3 Ibanez RG limited runs so far, and they all came out great. Our sold-out RG7 purple quilt run and RG6 red doom burst run were all flawless, with no fret issues or anything of the ilk. Of course, we have an in-hosue technician who sets them up and makes sure they don't have issues. I don't know if the shops in Japan or Australia that got some of these do the same.

That being said, they're certainly not any higher build-quality than a standard Prestige, but they do typically have unique specs that you cant get on a standard model (i.e. diff woods, finishes, reverse headstock, pickups, etc). Its not ground-breaking, but people seem to be digging them. We sold out of all the ones we've done. Killerburst's run was fantastic as well.

odibrom and AkiraSpectrum like this.