Ibanez NAMM 2020

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Leviathus, Oct 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I dunno dude, I love memeing on this site as much as the next guy but I don't think they're the same.
    The guys that bash the SEs, Squiers, Epiphones, etc all seem to do it out of a lack of respect. I remember talking to this guy and we were hitting it off pretty well, he asked what I played and when I told him my current favorite was my blue PRS he asks "Is it a PRS, or an SE?" and when I said it was an SE Custom 24, I got "Yeah see, that's an SE, not a PRS. That's not an actual Paul Reed Smith, it's a knockoff," and the conversation was over. That kind of stuff.

The stuff with the Premiums / Iron Labels and such doesn't seem to be people looking down on those guitars so much as it is just lamenting bad QC. My assessment is that most of the people here actually love the Premiums and Iron Labels, but just wish they were built to a higher standard so that you wouldn't have to deal with build flaws on them. I've never seen anyone refer to a Premium as 'a knockoff,' or anything similar. I guess there's some of that in the ESP camp with all of the branding changes, but even still, none of that seems to be in the same kind of vein as what you see with the dadrock brands.

2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Yeh, This kind of stuff is annoying. I think it just shows when people are ignorant (not meant in a derogetory way) to what really matters in a guitar. I've had this exact conversation with a guy who wanted a custom PRS 7 made and I told him just get an SE and upgrade it and it was like he wrote me and my opinion off ever since then every time we talk about guitars.
    - I've played SE's before and guess what, they don't suck. A custom is not worth the extra $3k-$4k , imo. You're paying for what factory builds it, a PRS logo, more attention to detail and better wood, pickups, and hardware. Basically most of it is better, but the SE doesn't suck. It still played great and sounded good.
    - To each his own and what matters to them, but spending more doesn't necessarily mean a better playing or sounding guitar. I firmly believe each guitar is unique sounding and playing (to a certain extent) and the setup and final touches like fret ends and neck shaping etc are really important. I learned this lesson the hard way buying customs only to sell them off and accept that my $500 Ibanez was more comfortable for me.

I think this stuff probably does have to do with the branding, like you're saying, and is working on a subconscious level. SE get's hate because it don't say PRS. LTD, E-II ect gets it because it don't say ESP. Squire because it don't say Fender, Epiphone because it dont' say Gibson etc.
    - I bet it also has to do with people thinking that because of where they're made that they suck and most of all I'd guess the older people think it because back in the day a lot of the quality did suck on some of these. I don't think most people realize how up to par and how much these foreign factories have upped their game. I was skeptical when I first played some of these but with brands like the older Agiles for instance, I was especially impressed. That being said, there are a lot of crappy cheap guitars out there.

aesthyrian, JimF and zenonshandro like this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Sorry if this is a repost. I didn't see it here yet.

4. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

K720 eh..Come on Ibanez, spill the beans! More details!!

zenonshandro likes this.
  5. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Munk always seems like a cool dude in interviews, thanks for sharing @c7spheres

"the custom shop will build me shit all day!" :lol:

6. DCM_Allan

DCM_Allan Sol Invictus

Definitely I want both

Ordacleaphobia and c7spheres like this.
  7. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

I feel personally attacked :lol:

not really though but seriously - I have a Strat and a Tele. If the type of music I play didn’t involve the need for 24 frets, a tremolo that stays in tune (no floyd), dual humbuckers, with tones reminiscent of Fenders and a need for SS frets (screw steel wool-ing nickel frets), I would still happily play my Fender’s live. I’ve played the Suhr Classics and they’re killer Strats, but not a strat. I guess that’s more of what this comment is referring to. Some guys are just more in the middle where they like some modern features that Fender still don’t provide in a production model. I found happiness in the Charvel DK/Ibanez AZ lines.

JimF likes this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

That shot of the back shows a 5-piece wenge/maple neck so I'm guessing it'll be the standard Prestige 7 profile.

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Wow, what a shithead!

Hollowway likes this.
  10. SJShinn

SJShinn SS.org Regular

Yeah, Fuck all that. The SE line is pretty friggin' solid as far as imports go. Seen a few lemons, but far less than some other brands. In all honesty, my 2009 SE Singlecut plays circles around my 2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio. The SE has nice medium low action with very little buzz, whereas my Gibson needs some fretwork to get to that level. Still a great guitar, but the SE just has it beat. Change the pickups in an SE and you have a KILLER guitar for a fair price used or new.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Herman Li's streaming on Twitch and I think he just confirmed he left Ibanez?

12. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I think that was already confirmed wasn’t it?

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Was rumored and VERY heavily hinted but it's never been outright stated I think.

14. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Ah well I just kinda assumed. When you drop off Ibanez site and split your time between twitch streaming kiesels, playing prs live, and throwing your actual sig guitars in the shower, you’re probably not gonna be on the roster long.

JimF likes this.
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah the writing was on the wall for awhile. :lol:

16. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Accepting bets for the next endorsement. I say Jackson, but could be some unknown brand, like MAB did.

Hype for him making his own brand of WMI guitars.

17. Vyn

Money would be on PRS to be honest. Already has a Private stock with an Ibanez bridge in it.

18. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Mmm is he still the superfast player that makes funny noises with guitar tremolo and stuff? Cause that's not the player I'd associate with PRS

19. Vyn

I would have thought so too, however before Holcomb got his sig with PRS the idea of a modern metal guitarist being associated with that brand was laughable, now the Holcomb sigs are considered fantastic metal guitars and PRS has huge kudos in the metal community. PRS definitely have their target audience however they don't seem to be shy about looking at other niches as well.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

Dude owns a couple of PRS guitars, one made to the same specs of the EGEN. And he's also apparently friends with Paul himself so he has connections. :lol: