Ibanez NAMM 2020

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Leviathus, Oct 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Look at the high four digit model number, it must be the new 4000-series. Axion labels have two numbers and every letter related to the specs of a guitar. Iron labels have one or two numbers. Four numbers is for Premium, Prestige and J-custom only from guitars currently being manufactured. If it's not a standard series sevenstring starting with 7***.

Albake21 likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

All MIJ RGDs (one exception being store special runs and UC series) use four digits. So I agree that it's likely just a flashier Prestige model.

3. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I'll put it here like I do every year. I'd like a new MIJ hardtail RGA :lol:

I know they won't do it, but I can dream.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Source for the new Jem is the Vai video that just came out. He mentions it. And @zimbloth knows what it is, but obviously can't say (as he's a dealer). The source for the wild speculation of it being headless is me. :lol:

5. Isolationist

Isolationist SS.org Regular

RGD series is in desperate need of finished bevels.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  6. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Headless JEM = :barf:

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  7. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Per Nilsson Strandberg is already like a headless Jem kinda
    I don't think it looks any worse than a Ibanez Jem

I think if Ibanez even comes out with headless guitars this year then Strandberg will have to be creative again

8. I play music

Well a new Jem would not surprise me because they release new Jems every once in a while. But a headless Jem.. damn that would be a surprise

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I have no idea if they would, but Nick said it’s gonna be something cool, so save your money. So that made me think it’s not going to be another color difference, or something minor. Some people speculated that it would have a sustainer, because Vai had one in the video when he mentioned the new jem. My thinking was just because of the new headless bass. But, Vai has never mentioned that he likes headless, so I’m 99.9% sure I’m wrong.

I play music likes this.
  10. Leviathus

It's swirled and HSH, that's about it as far as similarities. IMO, chopping off the headstock would really fuck up the JEM aesthetic, can't see that being the twist for next years model.

aesthyrian and Hollowway like this.
  11. I play music

[​IMG]
    I don't even mind the ones where someone just chopped off headstock like this

12. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Wow ... a headless bass. I was just recently thinking, considering the resurgence of headless, and Ibanez being so pioneering, that it is time for them to sell headless basses and guitars (i suspect they are working on the guitars).
    Other way around i think, the leg cutout positioning seems to be to make it balance on the leg, the result is the fret access.
    From my experience of owning and trying headless basses, most are very poorly balanced on the leg because they use the same body shape, so the lack of headstock weight makes them very tail-heavy, they literally fall off your lap backwards.
    So the leg cutout needs to be further back on a headless, and looks correctly positioned here.
    Headless is not done to reduce neck dive on the leg, a headed bass balances fine on the leg, headless is done to reduce imbalance on a strap.
    Due to leverage, the torque resulting from even a small headstock weight has a huge effect on balance, so yes the gains are huge, this is clear if you try headed and headless basses.

Also, whether you like them or not, that headless guitars and basses serve a purpose is blindingly obvious.
    Looks like Ned Steinberger was roughly 40-50 years ahead of the times.

I play music likes this.
  13. Leviathus

That makes one of us. :lol:

Each to his own though.

14. I play music

Well I don't know Nick to tell what is something cool for him ;-)
    But I think Vai is of the old school that does not tease things over weeks step by step on Instagram. So whatever it is, headless or not, I don't expect any hints from him before official announcement

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I would admit I would need to try the balance of this new bass first, but for me it seem the leg cutout is too far back to balance on a neutral postion.

as to do headless basses for a way to balance the bass on a strap, basses already do great in balance due to extended horns. See Fender. the #1 shape (jazz) with the worst neck dive while sitiing down, yet everytime I mention, people say "I got no neck dive on mine"... mostly reffering while on a strap, and the amount of players using them and not complaining about it refflects that. I have had 3 different Ibanez shapes basses, one with perfect "no hands hold" balance on my leg, the other two a SR and a BTB, non of them had any type of neck dive on a strap, and this is me using a dimarzio cliplock seatbelt kinda strap that slides pretty easy

theres only one thing headless basses work for, and thats to "look cool", same way people like other shapes, a headless bass is another "cool factor" of things to choose from. The guitar industry is a fashion industry, and headless are in

c7spheres likes this.
  16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

thanks, I would check those brands.

but I was mention is off the shelves brands taht I could go to a store and get one. Maybe I could see DR, but thats it. I know they arent "custom" strings, but I mentioned custom as a way to say that you need to order them

I jus tlike my Elixirs too much :(

I play music likes this.
  17. _Mick_

_Mick_ Gear Whore

18. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I’m still hoping that the “something new”for the JEM is the semi custom idea.

The JEM has multiple inlay options to choose from, two different body shape, front rout, rear route, different neck joints, neck profiles and pickups.

You could mix and match all day long.

Either that or swirls...

I understand that they manage to do the Jemini pedals with a printed swirl, I wish we could see that applied to a guitar. It’s still a swirl, but a lot cheaper than the actual hands on art version we’ve seen on the JEMs and UVs so far.

LordHar, _Mick_ and c7spheres like this.
  19. knet370

knet370 SS.org Regular

I hope they bring back a mij rga or the rg3120.

20. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

This was one of the 2019 japan only models, RGR4627FXE. Noticed that there is no trussrod cover. So it must be a really simple RGD.

[​IMG]

jwade, Masoo2 and Seabeast2000 like this.