Ibanez NAMM 2020

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Leviathus, Oct 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I dig the shape on the fanned example, everything else is trash to me. The solid color is nice though.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Those basses look pretty cool, but they do seem very strange. The least Ibanez looking Ibanez I've ever seen.

3. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 SS.org Regular

Are we just getting headless basses?

4. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Did they finally abandon the small fan of their previous basses and go to 34-37?

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Apparently there’s a new Jem in 2020 that’s supposed to be really cool. Maybe that will be headless? It would definitely be on the bandwagon. Otherwise idk what would be different.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. Stemp Fester

Stemp Fester SS.org Regular

FWIW... I used to work for a company that made fittings for fluid systems (typically in stainless steel) and from time to time the application a customer had demanded titanium fittings and the price for those was an order of magnitude higher - one example that sticks with me was a 1/8" t-piece that cost something like $10 in SS but in titanium jumped to somewhere around $1000...

I'm no expert in the stuff (and not involved in the industry anymore) but from what I know titanium is a much harder material to work with which adds to the cost of production substantially.

kisielk likes this.
  7. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I've heard that most strings are too short for that. I can't imagine Ibanez taking the risk to make something you have problems buying strings for. Or am I wrong and normal strings are long enough for a 37" scale?

8. MaxOfMetal

Just about all the major string manufacturers offer strings at least 38" (useable length, not under tension) and some as much as 41".

Given the hardware here, I don't believe there would be a problem at all sourcing strings for 37" scale.

I play music likes this.
  9. I play music

Ok weird, some guy was telling me standard strings were too short for his Dingwall and that's why he ordered custom ones. If normal strings are long enough for 37" I'd be all for it and get a Daddario 160 for that low F# or something : - D

10. MaxOfMetal

Dingwalls are a bit different given the headstocks and hardware.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

strings are long enough to reach tunners, but the tapper are not long enough and thats the actual problem with strings.

I got an Ormsby 5 string, which is 34-36.9"

a normal set of strings they all fit and reach, the low B had the tapper jsut next to the first fret. (so cant be used)

the "extra long set" from D'Addario, and Earnie Ball, juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fits. The low B has 2 levels of tapper, the string when it comes and does the first taper (from the bridge) its just right befre the nut, and the second tapper is at the nut. So the string is just useable (barely)

I still need to try the extra long set of elixirs. And thats pretty much it for mayor brands "off the shelves" string sets for 37" basses... so nope, there arent strings out there for them, you need to buy custom. Reason why I want to build my next bass with 33-35" as I tune to B

I dont think Ibanez would go 37", they would do the same as they did with their SR model before

12. MaxOfMetal

DR makes 41" sets, Ken Smith, T-I, and Fodera do 40", and those are all useable length and prior to being brought to tension which will give you another ~1/3".

Hardware is going to be a major factor.

If strings were much of a concern the Dingwall Combustion models wouldn't be flying off the shelves faster than they can make them.

StevenC, AxeHappy and A-Branger like this.
  13. LordHar

LordHar SS.org Regular

When you go to https://ibanez.ru/ you can find some textual information about upcoming releases. just click around and use translate.
    they do add and remove regularly it seems.

14. I play music

If my russian is still good enough then I think there will be a new XL 7 string in black. EHB1505MS-PLF EHB1005MS-SFM, EHB1505-DEF, EHB1005-BKF seem to be some of the new headless basses coming. SFM stands for seafoam if I get it right. With a baked maple fretboard. That sounds delicious.

15. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

I just checked ibanez.ru, like mentioned above and found this:

IBANEZ RGDR4327-NTF
    IBANEZ RGDR4327-NTF electric guitar, natural / black, body material - mahogany, top - Richlite, fingerboard - maple / wenge, fingerboard - ebony, 24 frets, 26.5 "gauge, H / H pickups: Dimarzio Fusion Edge 7 (H) neck & bridge pickups, black color accessories, complete with case.

Reverse headstock RGD prestige, with either a rich lite or ebony board. Not sure why it says both, but it could just be the translation

16. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

It seems to say the *top* is richlite, not the fingerboard. Which is definitely something unusual...

17. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

From the specs it sounds ugly as fuck like the iron label RGD Kiesel wannabes.

18. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Since it has the fusion edge, I'm wondering if it's just another Axion Label. Man I'd love to get another Prestige RGD 6 string.

19. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

There have been plenty of prestiges with the fusion edges. Sound great in my XL.

20. I play music

Source?
    I'd be surprised if they make something so different as a sig model (Jem) without offering it as standard model before.