Ibanez NAMM 2017

nistley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn. Did they change the Premium font to make it look like Prestige or something?

I swear I was about to drop some cash on a pre-order this morning after seeing the 1070PBZ; until I realized it wasn't actually a Prestige... now I'm a bit hesitant as I've never actually tried any of the Premium models.

None of the RG6 Models look nearly as nice. That neck, the binding *drool*

Aand it's got SS frets! Good thing it has the middle pickup, which I don't like, otherwise I would be prtty hard to resist :)

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So much talk about lack of quality on the Premiums. I had a three or four. All of them were great guitars. I'm sorry, but even the most expensive "quality" instruments can and do have flaws in them.
I'm also a little surprised by all the bashing. Owned two Premiums and those were great guitars for the price paid. Just take a look around and you'll see 2000 USD instruments with open fret ends, nickel frets, unrouted cavity covers, orange peel clear coat... you name it.

A-Branger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I came across a pic in Instagram of a prototype for one of the guys of Poliphia

is was a some kind of RG shape with rounded horns and a whole new neck heel, light blue pearl finish with rosewood neck/fingerboard/headstock. Chrome hardware and a more traditional tremolo.

looked amazing but with the new CITIES regulations why the whole rosewood neck?

also sorry I dont have link, I saw it on my phone as a "photos you might like" so cant really tag or link the pic. I dont even remember the guys instagram lol

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
looked amazing but with the new CITIES regulations why the whole rosewood neck?

The guitar would have been started months ago and all Ibanez needs is the paperwork for the rosewood to prove its origin which I'm sure they have. The CITES situation is still up in the air at the moment but it has the potential to cause serious harm to the guitar industry.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
I easily could be wrong, but the grain doesn't look like rosewood. I thought it looked like roasted maple.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:nuts::nuts::eek::eek::eek:

I knows hes a great bass player and he would play the crap out of that bass. For me that bass is the most impractical um-playable thing ibanez has released, and to pay THAT much for it woow. For that kind of cash Im better off designing a bass for my personal specs with a great luthier and prob still have some money left for a guitar build too

I completely understand the required build process for that bass, and I could understand why cost that much to be made, specially in jap highest luthier blah blah. But again for that kind of cash to be trown at a someones else build rather than get yourself your own.... I dont understand why Ibanez keeps doing this kinds of stuff

yes, I know about the fanboys. but again, this kinds of stuff makes more harm. The price is far too high for normal fans to get one, and specially for non-fans of the artist. The price is far too high to not consider to get yourself a fully custom build with extra cash to spare, or to at least have the same with your personal touch. So then the bass doesnt sell, and then go into the "fans dont buy stuff, so we dont build them anymore" even with him or other future artist.

big brands like Ibanez with the sig gear is so can people obtain the same instrument at a reasonable price. If not then why you have a big company and production line for? if Im better off getting a full custom build with a cheaper price and better quality.

Counterpoint: the runaway success of the near equally expensive M8M.

Petar Bogdanov

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The documentation costs the same, whether it's just the fretboard, or the whole neck, that's why.

A-Branger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The guitar would have been started months ago and all Ibanez needs is the paperwork for the rosewood to prove its origin which I'm sure they have. The CITES situation is still up in the air at the moment but it has the potential to cause serious harm to the guitar industry.

yeah maybe was an old project, but he post it as a "prototype guitar" meaning he could be getting a signature. IF it was a normal LACS then fine go nuts, but for a potential signature line that rosewood neck would be a pretty hard request for a production model to be released I think

I easily could be wrong, but the grain doesn't look like rosewood. I thought it looked like roasted maple.

for a moment I though it could be wenge, but didnt have that two tone brown stripes. Didnt though about roasted mapple as the color is pretty dark brown like rosewood, the roasted mapples I have seen like the JP15s are lighter in color

Counterpoint: the runaway success of the near equally expensive M8M.
yeah true that, I forgot about that one and the Tosin sig too. But at least I see those as a way more playable guitars than that bass tho. But yeah you are right, I guess ppl would pay $ for that

The documentation costs the same, whether it's just the fretboard, or the whole neck, that's why.

didnt knew that part, that might be it

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Roasted maple can get very dark brown. That's the only way it was available at first. They've been trying to get the same physical effect with less "browning" because a lot of folks didn't want such a dark neck. But I had an Anderson Drop Top 7 with a roasted maple neck that was very dark brown. Looked just like these Ibanez prototype necks.

A-Branger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Roasted maple can get very dark brown. That's the only way it was available at first. They've been trying to get the same physical effect with less "browning" because a lot of folks didn't want such a dark neck. But I had an Anderson Drop Top 7 with a roasted maple neck that was very dark brown. Looked just like these Ibanez prototype necks.

interesting, idnt knew you could get that dark shade of brown with mapple, as the only guitars I have seen with roasted necks/fretboards are more lighter in color with a different hue of brown.

Seems roasted mapple can be the answer to rosewood with the new regulations then

rewihendrix

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

errr...maybe.

There are hundreds of suitable woods for fretboards, plenty of composites, and plenty of synthetics.

If you mean the marketing might suffer because companies might be less convincing when the new options offer "superb snap and tonal response!!!11!!" or whatever and it's the same .... we've heard then yeah...maybe.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Finding replacement woods isn't a problem or marketing them since there already is so much negativity towards rosewood boards anyway.

Its all speculation so far but these new laws could mean big trouble for anyone trying to ship a guitar that has rosewood or any of the other woods listed. Or buying from an overseas seller because it could get stuck in customs when there is no paperwork. Everyone is just waiting to see how it plays out over the next few months.

jerm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
New UK/Asia Prestige 7 model:

http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_d...3&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=396&color=CL01

RG752MFS_VFD_00_01.png

rewihendrix

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finding replacement woods isn't a problem or marketing them since there already is so much negativity towards rosewood boards anyway.

Its all speculation so far but these new laws could mean big trouble for anyone trying to ship a guitar that has rosewood or any of the other woods listed. Or buying from an overseas seller because it could get stuck in customs when there is no paperwork. Everyone is just waiting to see how it plays out over the next few months.

Ah ok I see what you're saying

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
I think Killerburst is offering some of those for the US. Check out the plastic binding around the top. That means it's just a thin veneer. Blah.

Still looks pretty good! I'm all for more variety in their Prestige 7 line.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I think Killerburst is offering some of those for the US. Check out the plastic binding around the top. That means it's just a thin veneer. Blah.

It's prestige line - they're all going to be pretty thin these days.

Latest posts