Ibanez NAMM 2017

Black_Sheep

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Apparently they had the DCM100 RGD (Dino Cazares signature 7) at NAMM, does that mean they are going to continue making it? maybe not as a limited edition?

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Contributor
Reaction score
Feels like I post about this at least once a day, but it's so frustrating since Ibanez is one of the few manufacturers who are commited to making HSH guitars in a reasonable price range. :wallbash:

I'm after a Prestige line HH configured hardtail (Tight-End equipped would be the dream) S-series :lol:
Leaving me with....the S5521.
Ibanez does like their trems and their HSH setups but the playability of their stuff just makes dealing with the little things here and there that irritate me worth it.
Still though, it does get frustrating when you're looking at picking up a new guitar....

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
I'm after a Prestige line HH configured hardtail (Tight-End equipped would be the dream) S-series :lol:
Leaving me with....the S5521.
Ibanez does like their trems and their HSH setups but the playability of their stuff just makes dealing with the little things here and there that irritate me worth it.
Still though, it does get frustrating when you're looking at picking up a new guitar....

Hey buddy... S652Q
S6521Q_SLG_00_01.png

Not a tight end, but still pretty cool.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Apparently they had the DCM100 RGD (Dino Cazares signature 7) at NAMM, does that mean they are going to continue making it? maybe not as a limited edition?

^ yeah, I believe that it's now a regular production guitar.

Oh man that's exciting! I've been thinking about getting one, hoped I hadn't missed them fully.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
^ lots of places still list it for sale. I was told it was part of regular production some time ago. I bought one when I thought it was limited to 100 or whatever, but it was significantly flawed (crack by a trem post) and the replacement had very poor fretwork. By the time I was finished pulling my hair out over that, I just decided to be done with the whole thing, but I was told that getting yet another replacement wasn't an issue because it was just production now.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
The fact that I'm in Canada may change things, the nearest Long and McQuade doesn't even have it in their system. We'll see though. It seems like a good sign that it was at this NAMM, hopefully I don't have to order one from the US and take a massive hit.

PBGas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The fact that I'm in Canada may change things, the nearest Long and McQuade doesn't even have it in their system. We'll see though. It seems like a good sign that it was at this NAMM, hopefully I don't have to order one from the US and take a massive hit.

I checked with my bud Mike @ Efkay who distributes Ibanez for Canada and there was no immediate due date for when they would be getting them again. This was back in October when I spoke to him. Usually that means that they won't be bringing any more in.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Yeah I had one of my local stores look into it. Special order, available but not in stock. 4-6 month window for ordering. $300 more than it would be (even with shipping) to order from the U.S :p

Santuzzo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw the RG7PCMLTD Premium (this is the one with the maple fretboard and the Edge Zero II trem) at some European dealers priced at 1400,- Euro.
Not exactly what I would call inexpensive, but the features it offers sure are high-end, so maybe the price is ok. What do you guys think?

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If aesthetics is more important to you than quality (fit/finish), then I guess it isn't a bad deal. The problem with it is that it's priced into prestige territory, and quality on the prestige is pretty much guaranteed. If you do get it, inspect it over very thoroughly the first few days you have it ensure you can live with whatever flaws it has

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Those new RG premiums are some gorgeous looking guitars that's for sure.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Ikebe has some IRL pics of that black-fade Premium. IMHO it's not well executed. For a guitar sold more on looks and features at the (potential) expense of quality, seems like it would have been a good idea to actually make it look good.

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ikebe has some IRL pics of that black-fade Premium. IMHO it's not well executed. For a guitar sold more on looks and features at the (potential) expense of quality, seems like it would have been a good idea to actually make it look good.

So much talk about lack of quality on the Premiums. I had a three or four. All of them were great guitars. I'm sorry, but even the most expensive "quality" instruments can and do have flaws in them.

Unfortunately, $1000-1500 is Korean/Indonesian territory for pretty much every manufacturer now. You have to get close to the $1750+ range before there is anything MIJ/MIA that isn't run of the mill standard stuff (ie Gibson Explorer T or basic Prestige line). If you want anything kind of cool, it's pretty much $1750+ unless you go with Korean or Indonesian.

ESP, Ibanez, Gibson, Jackson are all using similar pricing structures from what I've looked at. LTD stuff goes up to about $1200. Epiphone stuff is close to $1000. Gibson basic models start in that $1000-$1500 range. These Ibanez premiums seem pretty good for what you're getting vs the competition.

With a good discount from a big retailer you could come it at around $1000 which is very good vs what you're getting for $1000 from other places.

I've almost talked myself into one :lol:

Zeriton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looked at some of the 2017 [Premium] models today. Definitely look like a high quality coming out of there. No dodgy fret-ends or marks on the fingerboards. Definitely looking forward to trying the RG1027 when they get one in stock!

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn. Did they change the Premium font to make it look like Prestige or something?

I swear I was about to drop some cash on a pre-order this morning after seeing the 1070PBZ; until I realized it wasn't actually a Prestige... now I'm a bit hesitant as I've never actually tried any of the Premium models.

None of the RG6 Models look nearly as nice. That neck, the binding *drool*

RI1v1Kk.jpg

VnvuKTx.jpg

JemmsQD.jpg

Last edited: