Ibanez NAMM 2016

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Church2224, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Sparkplug

Sparkplug What?

glad to see at least two 7s with reversed headstock. :hbang:

2. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

Not really interested in Ibanez anymore until they start putting premium necks on Iron core bodies.

3. Isolationist

Isolationist SS.org Regular

Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Iron Label line, which was originally marketed as "all of what you need, nothing much else" has now become "crazy finishes and gaudy abalone"?

I hate most of the quilted Iron Label offerings, especially with the binding. And this is the first year that an Iron Label with a maple fretboard has been released, but it's on a really weird finish for the seven string RGD. It kind of fits the six string, but it still looks pretty funny, especially with the stark contrast between the dark brown and the lighter wood underneath.

God, I just wish they would do more stuff with maple fretboards on RGs and RGDs.

Edit: Then again, this is just the European market (unless I'm mistaken). Who knows what Ibanez will throw to the US?

4. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

Also, and this is typical, some of the "new" European models where US models for 2015.

So, but judging by the European catalog, this isn't going to be a "huge new model year". There is some stuff I like, but it's hard to get to excited, until we see what the US actually gets.

5. Isolationist

Yeah, there aren't many discrepancies between the EU and US markets. Japan has almost every Ibanez I really want, and I hope they do some cool stuff with the RGD or RGA over there. It's fairly easy to get one imported, from what I have seen. If I could, I would buy an SV5470A.

6. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Now I'm waiting for the "Real Novelties" catalog, then a "For Lefties" catalog - no doubt - just waitin' .... :coffee:

then
    :cheers:

then

:drew:

then

:realmad:

except the RGD...SBB thing :cool:

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I'm glad to see Ibanez remembers the SA series exists. :lol:

8. raadoo

raadoo SS.org Regular

I feel you, brother. Funny enough, the original 2013 Ibanez Iron Label site is still up: Iron Label 2013 And you weren't far off with paraphrasing the original motto of the line - All You Need ... Nothin' You Don't which, by 2014 went completely down the drain. And, yes you can still see the 2014 lineup in all its gaudy abaloney horror: Iron Label 2014 . You know, just in case you felt like reminiscing.

However, judging by the leaked catalog, apart from the SIX70's new FDBG finish, and the new RGDIX6 and RGDIX7 finishes, all other Iron Label finishes seem to have shed off their 37 pieces of flair and gone back to the original none-more-black approach.

By the way, the CBF and SBB finishes are available for both the RGDIX6 and RGDIX7 ... not that that makes a huge difference. They still look weird. But, like yourself, I too applaud the resurgence of maple boards. As scarce as it may be.

I actually got a bit excited seeing the new RGDIX6 as it ticks a heck of a lot of boxes out the custom Carvin/Kiesel I had planned for myself this year. Sure, comparing an Iron Label to a Carvin is tantamount to blasphemy, but my wallet does tend to have a say in the matter. That is, until I saw the new RG652AHMFX. Las year we had the sans-FX version. And being a passionate hater of floaty-tremoloey things, I dismissed it outright.

To conclude what's already become a short novel of a reply, maybe take a look at the RG652AHMFX. It's a Prestige, it's got the birdseye maple board, ash body, that killer Nebula Green Burst finish and proper Dimarzios in its holsters. What's not to love?

9. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Gosh, Ibanez catalogues are depressing. Since when have we not had a Prestige Universe or JEM 7 string?

10. NeglectedField

NeglectedField SS.org Regular

No Thundercat bass. No biggie though, not like I'd ever have use for one :lol:

11. Isolationist

You know the most disgusting thing about those 2014 ILs? The gold hardware.

Ibanez designers just sat in a room and said, "you know what would look good on a bright red finish? Abalone. And gold hardware."

I wish I could say I'd tolerate it if the hardware was black, but I absolutely abhor abalone. My stomach turns every time I see it, doesn't matter which guitar it is. It could be the most amazing guitar, excellent tone, immaculate craftsmanship, and I would still turn it down because of the abalone binding.

12. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

19 pages of expecting, now 19 pages of rant ! :wallbash:

13. raadoo

raadoo SS.org Regular

A kindred spirit! I found one!
    I've always been of the same school of thought, ever since I first saw abalone on a guitar.

14. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Lets all hope the US/Jap catalog is different as tis euro one is pretty much that same as last year except a few color changes and only a few new models.

15. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

I'm sure the JBM20 and 27 will sell like hotcakes (and I guess the JBM100 sold pretty damn good) but a Japan model of the JBM 7 would've been cooler.
    I understand why they made the cheaper Indonesian version and the "cuts" on costs, but the Rosewood board kinda clashes with the overall look.
    It's cool that they decided to keep the Locking Tuners concept on the lower models too.
    The Gotoh MG-T are really cool, and I honestly think they updated (Upgraded I should say) since the ratio is 18:1 vs 12:1 of the Sperzels on the Japan model.

[​IMG]

16. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Is a Prestige S7 with SS fanned fret, maple/wenge neck, blank ebony board, Edge Lo-Pro 7, locking tuners, body/neck/head stock binding, with matching head stock asking too much?

:lol:

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

theres no 7 or 8 strings in the S line o_O only 6s

not even the IL models.... guessing they didnt sell

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

and pretty cool new color for the Sam Thotman Iceman sig. Way better than the blue one he had before. I still like the white one I have, but I though you guys would be jumping more into it since its gray black burst.

but still the 6 in line headstock.... he would never learn I guess lol

love the new offering for SR premium. Just when I had my eyes fixed on a btb finally something comes out on the SR line I actually like. And pretty cool new finish on the normal SR line, the red/burst/black thing with gold hardware, looks pretty awesome

bot sure about the new finish for the BTB premiums? bit purple-ish, would have to see a real pic of one

looking forward for the extra stuff the USA catalog would have (as always) and the hoops I would have to jump to get something if I find something I like

19. Ibanez Rules

Ibanez Rules [email protected] Vendor

I ended up with a spare guest pass this year so the first member that emails me and claims it, gets it. The only requirements are -

1. you must know you can make the show so it's not wasted
    2. you must conduct yourself in an appropriate manner, no grabassin the Dean girls without their permission!

I need full name and address, and email. You pickup the pass in Anaheim, follow the instructions that will be in your notification email.

Send to [email protected]

20. ovlott

ovlott SS.org Regular

I really hope the back of the neck on the JBM27 is matte black like the original. It'd definitely look off otherwise.

That aside, is no one else stoked on the fact that Ibanez is releasing a 26.5" scale 7 string with Reversed headstock, and a decent set of pickups, all stock???

Even at 1400 MAP, I can get excited about that. The RGA shape is just huge bonus too. The rosewood vs. ebony is kind of dissapointing but if I really wanted it black I can always dye it myself and keep the spare change ibanez would charge. I have mixed feelings about the RGD's as well, part of me wants them, part of me doesnt. I bet they'll sound awesome though.

*Edit* did a little google searching and I came across these. They look like typical ibby stock photos from the angles. Also looks like they'll have the JEM style input jacks too. Hazaa for painted necks!

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/data/Page_Images/JBM2701.jpg

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/data/Page_Images/JBM2702.jpg