Ibanez M80M vs RG2228 (help to decide)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Necros, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Necros

Necros SS.org Regular

Hi everybody.

Need help picking an 8 string.
    Everything about M80 is great except that its made in Indonesia and so im worried about the build quality compared to the MiJ RG Prestige. The 29.4 scale length combined with the Lundgren M8P pickup are excellent and sound a lot more defined and powerful than any 27' 8 string ive heard. I always gear towards MiJ but the M80M in this case is just too great to pass up. So i wonder if anyone had any problem with these guitars. Is the fretwork smooth? Does it keep tuning well? Hows the sustain with that bridge? Any upgrade that needs to be done?

So far ive only heard positive reviews about the M80 and if i dont find anything wrong with it, ill get it, but the RG2228 seems like the more fail-proof option at first glance. My primary motivations for getting an 8 are Meshuggah and After The Burial, and these guitars are what each band used. I already own a 7 with HH setup so im ok with M80M having a single pickup. Generally it seems the M80M is the definite winner as far as the low frequency rhythm riffing goes, while 2228 is overall the better guitar, build quality and versatility considered.
    So im waiting for your input, guys.

Thanks.

2. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

If you are tuning lower than drop E (EBEADGBE) I'd go fot the M80.
    If your tuning is standard F#, standard F or drop E max, then imo the rg2228 wins.
    The rg2228 holds tuning very well and the neck is amazing.

Joan Maal likes this.
  3. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

No real issues with my m80m...the tuning is stable, the frets are ok, and the sound is massive compared to my 2228 due to the longer scale and the lundgren. You ve said chuggah ala ATB Meshu, this thing does the job like nothingelse.However the neck of my 2228 is amazing and this guitar is so easy to play, so well finished, so smooth. I have ionizer 8 on it and it sounds so damn good on leads and clean. The counterpart of the m80m is that it s a giant guitar and complex chords, shredding is actually difficult, I was chocked and I play 27` for a long time. I am 6`2 and I have long fingers but the m80m has kind of a bass feeling. The 2228 is a guitar and a damned good one, the neck is almost as thin as my old 80s RGs. It just does not sound as massive as the m80m.Anyway you get my point if you want to crush everything go for the meshu even if its feel a little cheaper thant the prestige. If you wanna an all around good guitar specialy for leads with an extra low string get the 2228..

4. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Love my M80M, it's such a monster <3

5. Necros

Necros SS.org Regular

I might do the occasional double drop C# thing like ATB, but they managed to pull it off on the 2228 with a 90 string. Im still torn but gearing more towards the M80M, i really want that crushing low end with the Lundgren.

I own a 27" Ibanez so im used to the longer scale, sure the 29.4" gonna be a pain but i think i want that lower end tone clarity above all else, and my RG7421XL covers the lead ground, just god SD Black Winter on the neck position for it so its all good.

6. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Have you thought about getting a RG2228 and upgrading the pickups?

I've had a little time with both the M80M and RG2228 and have nothing bad to say about either. I love the feature set of the M80M and the quality/playability was fine, but I'd put an RG2228 with a nice set of like Fishmans or some other versatile set (ie: DiMarzio Ionizers) on par or above.

7. Necros

Necros SS.org Regular

Sounds like an option, though id still consider the Lundgren above all else based on teh samples ive heard + the clarity of a 30" scale is a big factor.

8. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

Both are great guitars! M80M will have that extra chunky metallic sound that comes along with it from. You won't have to worry about grabbing thicker strings for tension and sacrificing some tone. It's pretty light too considering it's swampash.

RG2228 will have a notch up on quality and comfortable playability which can be found at a great value used. You'll have to decide whether you want to replace pickups or not. I own them both solely for the Edge III-8 alone. Really great bridge.

gienek likes this.
  9. Necros

Necros SS.org Regular

Im pretty much dead set on the M80M at this point. I realized i need an all-crushing guitar and M80M is one of a kind while there are many 8 strings similar to the RG. I just wish it was made in Japan too, thats my only problem with it, but i assume the price would skyrocket in that case.

Paul McAleer likes this.
  10. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

In this case I don't think "skyrocket" even comes close to capturing the price difference.

Think of it more as the price heading off for a lap or two round the sun.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

there are MIJ versions of the M80 but they're like 4-5K USD.
    personally I'd go with the m80m and set it up/or have a competent tech dress/level the frets (if necessary). If you install a coil split you'd have more tonal variety with the m80 as well.

12. Necros

Necros SS.org Regular

The 2228 is 2200$ which is only like 500-700$ more than M80M.

Those are not the same guitars, its the M8 model, its neck through, body wood is different, finish is different, etc., and its not a production model, its made to order, that explains the price. If however Ibanez could make it into a production model (even with a bolt-on neck), i guess itd cost around a bit higher than 2228, but nowhere near $5-8K mark.