Ibanez M80M or other for first 8 string guitar!

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by GuidoP, Oct 3, 2015.

1. GuidoP

GuidoP New Member

Hi there!
    This is my first post here :)

I'm thinking on buy my first 8 string guitar. I always want to have one and maybe now it's the moment.
    I'm not searching a guitar for metal o djent, i'm just want to find a good guitar to start 8 string playing and also i want a guitar that can be versatile for play all kind of stuff and a lot of time in clean mode.

I have an offer to buy one Ibanez M80M like new with case and a mid-price.
    New this guitar in France it's sell on 1300 eu. I can buy it on 600 eu.

But the question is, it's really a good guitar and versatile or just a killer to play djent?

Also, what you think about other option?

I saw that maybe i can buy an Agile guitar 8, 9 or 10 string, also neck tru whit floyd and all that stuff.

It's the Ibanez better option all around? An Agile for 700 eu new will be better or more versatile than a M80M?

Just the good price of the Ibanez it's a completly reason to buy it without hesitation?

Thanks a lot for your answers and help!

:bowdown:

2. Speedos

Speedos SS.org Regular

Never played the m80m, but i do have a 30" 8 string, and i did go straight for it from a crappy 6 string.
    the m80m has one pickup and 29.4" scale , so mostly it depends on your gear and your desire for longer scales... the 1 pickup imo cuts a LOT of versatility out of a guitar , but if you have lots of pedals, or an amp such as an axe fx out of which you can get any sound you want, having only 1 pickup won't be a setback anymore.

From what i've read here anyway, the m80m is great after getting it set up properly after receiving it.
    There are loads of soundclips and vids you can find with it, and i am sure you have heard that the lundgren has very good clarity. The guitar shines for heavy genres of course, it's a meshuggah signature, but again, if you have the gear, i guess you can play any type of genre you want with it.

DON'T buy an 8 string with floyd or tremolo...this is just my opinion, but if you value your soothing and stable life , don't.
    Agile would be a good choice if you lived in the States, because you had the return option...if you get it all the way to Europe, after a big fee and price increment , and you get a lemon, you won't be able to send it back and get another one as a replacement... so again, risky.

I am not sure what to recommend, that 600 eu on the m80m sounds like a great deal, but the 1 pickup might cripple the versatility somewhat...and of course, the scale length..if you like longer scales and you have big fingers , it won't be a problem..but be warned , you won't be able to shred like andy james on it and the chords will be a bit difficult at first until you get used to it

i for one would go with a 28" schecter with passives if that m80m doesn't fancy you in the end

3. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I love my Agile Intrepid 830, my first 8 ever, but outside of the US, you won't have an option to return it if you receive a lemon, which could be possible. I personally wouldn't take the risk. If a longer scale is what you want, then maybe take a look at some of Schecter's offerings, with 28" scales and Hipshot bridges, if I didn't get my Agile, I probably would have gone with Schecter.

4. thrashmetal85

thrashmetal85 SS.org Regular

m80m No contest.

Joan Maal likes this.
  5. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

m80m is probably the least versatile 8 string you can find. Seriously one pickup and ridiculous scale = no good clean/lead sounds and tough to solo unless you have gorilla hands. Try to find a used rg2228 in that price range, better guitar all around.

6. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

M80M, if you have the money, DO IT!!!!

7. GuidoP

GuidoP New Member

Sorry for the delay guys!
    Thank you very much everyone of you. There a lot a thing that you says than make my think.
    For the price and the condition of the guitar i think i will buy it. Here the cheapest guitar it's on 400 eu.
    The M80M it's for 600 with case, so 500 or 550 eu and 100 or 50 eu for all. If i think just the price of the guitarm just for a little bit of money i will get a better guitar so far.

I will show you if i buy it!

Thanks!

8. XMetalcheFX

XMetalcheFX Chef de Extreme

The M80M is one of the best guitars made by Ibanez. Period.

However a word of caution, that guitar was designed to produce a percussive, natural, and musical tone.

If you have flaws in your technique, you will hear them. For something that was designed by one of the most prolific metal bands in our time, this guitar sounds absolutely brutal and natural. It is the first and only guitar I have played that literally sounds like your playing wood. I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

Perhaps it was the Lundgren? I would go M80M all day. HOPE YOU HAVE GOOD LUCK.

BTW as far as versatility, although it has the one pickup, Lundgren know their s**t. I found I could get desirable warm gain sounds by rolling back the volume, and it still had really good output. Not sure how that one happens, but I liked it. Played it through a Randall as well.