Ibanez M80M appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Velokki, Apr 1, 2019.

1. studmiester7

studmiester7 Official Logo

bad-ass dude

2. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

I'm ashamed to say it but I think I've only played on my one less than 10 times since buying it !
    I guess I haven't spent enough time with any of my guitars for the last few years anyway but I don't think I found a tuning that my brain can get used to yet. I'll have a look around and see what comes up.
    Probably go up in the FS section in the next week or so :rant:

3. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

The tuning I most enjoyed on my M80M was a half-step up from F#BEADGBE. I don't know why, But that really worked for me.

4. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

My favorite tuning is EAEADGBE. It just lets me play riffs one octave down on the lowest two strings.

I just found out the other day that mine is fretting out on the 5th fret high E. Just thst one fret... not sure if one of them is too high or it just needs a truss rod or bridge tweak

5. Krauthammer

Krauthammer SS.org Regular

I've been messing around with an alternative tuning lately, and been enjoying it alot. I usually tune 1 whole step down standard. If your bored, give this a whirl, DADGDF#AD. Fun for low riffs, and pretty useful for droney long delay/reverb ambient stuff.

6. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

Thank you for you suggestions guys !
    If I can spend a couple of hours with it this week, that would be awesome and I'll try those out :)

7. WillyTheMLGPro

WillyTheMLGPro SS.org Regular

Anyone use really thick strings on their M80M? looking to get one and tune down to drop B or Drop C

8. Two Panthers

Two Panthers B8 Bomber

Well I had a very heavy bottom, i think it was a 90 or bigger....NO problem..in fact, the M8M feels like youre supposed to accomodate whatever the biggest you can handle -

Actually, i might put mine up for sale because I am starting to really want to just play my custom shop at this point, so if anyone wants an M80M, PM me

kisielk likes this.
  9. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

Just noticed something interesting about the M80M that never caught my eye before. There's no volute! All my other Ibanez guitars and basses have a volute, but the back of the neck on the M80M is pretty flat at that spot.

10. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

I REALLY want one of these and can’t find one anywhere now that Ive decided it’s worth the plunge. Figures. There’s just nothing else like em.

11. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

Same.

12. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

My one has a 'volute', in fact I wondered what the hell it was the other day when I took it out :D
    I'm going to pop it up for sale once I get some photos but I'm in the UK (buck/glass).

13. Oblivium

Oblivium SS.org Regular

I recently got this guitar (new) and I must say I am not happy at all. The low F buzzes like crazy and the intonation is way off, even though the saddle is all the way back. The worst problem is the noise though. At the beginning I thought the guitar was not properly grounded because it is considerably noisier than any guitar I own (even more than a Jackson with d-activators). With the tone all the way up it is unusable, even on the clean channel. It becomes ok only if I move (VERY) far away from my Axe FX, which again it is not the case with my other guitars. Anyone has experienced these issues? Can they be solved or should I send it back?

14. Frostod

Frostod SS.org Regular

What string gauge do you use and how high (or low) is the action? Did you check the bow of the neck? Does it buzz everywhere or just on the high/low registers? Maybe the neck needs to be shimmed?
    The noise might be a faulty soldered ground. You could resolder the ground and possibly shield the cavity. I don't think my m80m was very noisy

15. Oblivium

Oblivium SS.org Regular

I'm using the stock strings (9-65?). Just the low F buzzes almost everywhere, I think it might be because of the low tension. I compared the noise of the single coil in my RG550 with the Lundgren and the latter is definitely noisier, is that normal? If I roll back the tone it gets better, but of course the sound changes quite a bit.

16. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

Definitely not normal, my Lundgren was dead quiet, so maybe you have some shoddy soldering somewhere.

Oblivium likes this.
  17. Frostod

Frostod SS.org Regular

If you bought it in a store either take it back and exchange it for another m80m or they shall set it up. That's not normal and should not happen with a brand new guitar.

Oblivium likes this.
  18. Oblivium

Oblivium SS.org Regular

Yeah, I am quite positive the ground hasn't been soldered properly as the continuity test fails. I hope the worker just had a bad day that day, because this has never happened to me even on sub 200€ guitars...