Ibanez K7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by aldog1330, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Sweet guitar! I love those SLSMGs with the 3+3 headstocks. I wish Jackson used a 4+3 version of that headstock on their 7-strings.

2. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

www.hotdotz.com
    Blue is adjutable...

3. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

awesome jackson man! i wanted one of those ever since i first laid eyes on one at the GC around hear....too bad those come stock with HZs, i bet it sounds just as badass as it looks with real emgs :hbang: . i wanna try one out so bad with a pair of 81s, or maybe i dont wanna try it cuz then ill have to find a way to get one.... evil ways :evil:

4. rx

rx I drink water.

i don't think the inlay looks THAT bad... it's just the model number, it doesn't say "Munky gives Head" or anything similar so it's fine with me

5. aldog1330

aldog1330 I like beer

Thanks :). I'm torn between having the 81 and 85 in the bridge. I used the 81 in the bridge today at practice, and it did smoke. Harmonics flew off the fretboard, and it was nice and chunky (much more so than when the pickups were in my old SG). I'm thrilled with the thing right now. It definitely sounds as evil as it looks, there's no doubt about that. And sorry for derailing this from a 7 to 6 string thread. :(

6. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

:lol: :lol: ROTF!! that inlay would be some of the funniest stuff id ever seen. ha ha :lol: :lol:

7. darren

A couple of years ago, i came up with a couple of quick ideas for how a K7 inlay could be transformed into something a little more universally appealing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the blue one, i left the inlay design slightly translucent so you could see the K7 underneath it.

Here's an updated version:

[​IMG]

8. butch

butch SS.org Regular

I have been fortunate enough to own both models of the K-7. The Blue one is/was stock, and the Grey one had 7620 neck and hardware. For Christmas this year, my wife sent the grey body to LGM, and Jeremy transformed it into an awesome Silverburst. Of course then, I see that Head had one the same finish (although mine appears to be closer to the LP Silverburst than Head's), regardless, I should have it back and assembled in a week or so...

Agreed the K-7 inlay is awful. One thing you have to remember is that Ibanez gives 300% control of any signature model to the artist. If they want another inlay for the production guitar it will be changed. Much like Vai picked the pyramids, and Satch has his things, the Korn guys control all the features that are involved with their models (including the K-5 bass).

Cheers,
    Butch

9. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

meh..overlaying tribal on the K7 logo will still only become dated when the kiddies decide tribal artwork is uncool..

10. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

yea.. just like they decided seven strings were uncool :( . oh well, i like the look on the their faces when i rip out a low b... and proceed to show them that someone can play faster than quarter notes... and that their singers dont have to sound like crybabies with a plugged nose :p

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, but those neon colors and swirls will live on forever. ;)

Myself, I'd kill for a K-7 with a maple board and simple abalone dots (although only if I can score one for the $600 or so mentioned above ;))

-D

12. Fantomas

Fantomas blah

ooh I just had to respond.
    I few months ago I was looking to buy a used Universe and ran into a K7 which was incredibly cheap.
    So I bought it, and I've been in love with it since day one. I've played a lot of Ibanez guitars but this is still the best I've played. I really love the binding on the neck and headstock and the Blade Grey is a real nice finish. The pickups are absolutely terrific and it plays like a dream.
    The glow in the dark dots are a bit lame though, they really don't glow that much and are of little use on stage. More of a gimmick, same goes for the U bar tremolo.
    It's a pity the Korn thing is such a big turnoff for so many people, most people can't look past that, and I do think the inlay is a bit much but this guitar really is worth every cent I paid for it.

And of course the obligatory picture: [​IMG]

13. darren

Well, i think the "incredibly cheap" part factors into it. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't pass up an "incredibly cheap" Ibanez signature model, but the combination of its high MSRP and the garish inlay is enough to keep a lot of people away.

If the K7 were priced lower, i think a lot of people could look past the inlay, or if it had a blank fretboard, people wouldn't mind shelling out the premium price. I'm sure Ibanez could have sold boatloads of K7s if either of those criteria existed.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

+1. I could care less who a guitar was designed for- ironically enough, I just bought a UV during a period where the only Vai album I can really stand is Alien Love Secrets. It's just, the thing's got a giant K-7 in the middle of a elegant fretboard. Someone around here I think once said that it's like seeing a hot girl, taking her home, peeling off her shirt and finding a third boob. It just really doesn't need to be there.

Sweet pic, though. :) It's a really tasteful guitar aside from that inlay.

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.