Ibanez K7 Pickup Height

jvms

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, a few days ago, I took my K7 for a set up at a well known local tech. He said he really liked the guitar, that it was extremely well built, but it had a "project" problem. He said the pickups were way too far from the strings and there was no way of getting the pickups closer to them, and that this was making the guitar lose tone, gain and sustain. He also said he could glue a wood block under the pickups to raise them and that it would make the guitar sound way better. Has anyone else noticed the same "defect" on their K7s? I've always seen K7s being praised for their tone and never heard anyone complaining about this.

EverDream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never played one, but to me that sounds like his personal opinion, unless you got a defective one. It very well might be meant to be the way it is, I'd definitely play it first before you let him do that to it. If it sounds great to you, then don't change a thing no matter what he says. That's what I'd do anyway.

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know that guitar model in detail but why can't the PUs be raised? Looks like a regular Ibby w/ direct mount pickups...

rami80

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it is mounted into the wood directly without inserts then the screw could be stripped. Or the foam is fully relaxed and can no longer be raised.

What happens when you turn the screw?

jvms

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Everything works fine when using the screws, but according to him, it would be better if the screws allowed the pickups to get closer to the strings. This is how close the pickups are to the strings. Anyone know if it's on an inappropriate position? Could I benefit from having it closer?

Attachments

• 19970819_1381020805338779_534357590_n.jpg
    19970819_1381020805338779_534357590_n.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
Pickups are fine. Closer you'll loose sustain due to string pull. String pull will also dull your tone, making it darker. This looks like he's trying to scam you into getting some money out of your wallet... or he doesn't have a clue about this.

On the other hand, DiMarzios 7 string PAFs are medium output, so maybe they could be raised a little more. However, I wouldn't advise doing so, because then, besides the string pull, tremolo squeals won't ring out, strings will buzz on the pickups. String to pickup distance should be no less than 2mm... which is about what you have (3mm?), judging from the photo...

thinkpad20

plays guitar??
Reaction score
He said the pickups were way too far from the strings and there was no way of getting the pickups closer to them, and that this was making the guitar lose tone, gain and sustain.

I really liked the K7 that I had a while back, and from the picture you posted the height looks pretty normal, so I'm skeptical of the idea that there's some kind of systemic issue with the model. Sounds like he identified a "problem" that you had never noticed yourself. Do you think the guitar suffers from bad tone or sustain?

jvms

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not really, it sounds pretty cool, I was just wondering if I should bring them up to enhance to tone even more, but it seems like it's not worth it. I guess I'll just leave them as they are.