Ibanez K7 MIJ or Dean RC7e ???

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by dametalbeast, Jan 20, 2014.

1. dametalbeast

dametalbeast dametalbeast

simple, one or the other. Im in the market for a new seven and these seem to be the best as far as my budget and preferences and availabilty etc. Im torn on which one to get as I havent ever played either of them. Ibanez; japanese made, mahogany body, 25.5" scale, maple/wenge neck, rosewood board, dimarzion paf 7s, lo pro trem, blurple finish.
    Dean RC7e; korean made, alder body, quilt maple top, grover tuners, floyd rose, maple neck with the groovy inlays, 25.5" scale, emg 707s, and that massive access cutaway. tiger eye finish on quilt top.

lookwise I prefer the RC way better and it also comes with a free hardcase. spec wise the Ibanez has some things I prefer, passive pups and the lo pro trem. my problem is I have a very skewed point of view on Ibanez, most of the guitars ive played by them have been pretty unimpressive also mediocre quality including some premiums and prestiges in that mix. although this is one of the "older" ibbys and I know the build quality is better on those. another thing is id have to order it from a guitar center halfway across the country and trust in the idiots that work there. anyway id love to hear your opnions, also this is my first SSO post. cheers :wavey::hbang:
    lastly I was also considering a ltd BS-7 but the neck looked massive, if anyone has imput on that itd be cool

Attached Files:

2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

K-7 for the win. I have one (01' model) and I absolutely love it. It's one of the best 7's (imo) that Ibanez has ever made, and definetly beats that Dean in quality.

Don't know anything about that LTD, but im willing to bet that Ibby is still the better choice.

This is just my opinion of course, I would recommend you to try the guitars before buying but if that's not an option...

3. Shredasaurus

Shredasaurus deathcore!!!

Hes right, Get that Ibanez there is no contest here.:yesway:

:2c:LTD necks are usually quite thin although I have played played one(just one) that was huge and uncomfortable

4. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I would say the K7 without hesitation. Played 1 once before, loved it, want 1 for myself.

Never played an RC7, but I've never been impressed by any Dean I've come across. And you can't go wrong with an MIJ mahogany Rg 7 string.:yum:

5. RiffRaff

RiffRaff SS.org Regular

I have a Dean RC7e and while admittedly I haven't played a K7, I would say go for the K7.

Not knocking the RC7e, it's actually a really fantastic guitar after I got used to it. It took a few weeks of getting my hand used to the neck as I was coming from the older Schecter Loomis model but once it was used to it, no problems.
    Fretwork is average - not bad, not good. Just middle of the road with no surprises.
    It just doesn't have the same feel in quality like the Loomis does for a $1K guitar.
    That being said, it's a grower and as I play it more I tend to like it more... I'm not sure if that just means I'm happy to overlook some things. :lol:
    Sound is top notch. Seriously I just love this thing for lead playing. the fast neck and liquid lead sound make it a joy to play leads. Plenty of clarity and the alder and maple neck combo is an awesome tried and true wood combo. Seriously sounds tits :yesway:

The Ibby's neck will be a just a hair thicker from memory and the specs are good. You'll be able to tell the difference in the fit and finish. That and it should "feel" like a much a higher quality instrument if that makes sense. If you can find both models give them a play though and see what you prefer. Like you, almost every Ibby I've come across in a store has sucked skewing my view of Ibanez's current crop of guitars available in the stores in my country. My RC7E just ....ing destroyed any other offering from Ibanez at the time I was looking for a new guitar.
    Hope that helps somewhat!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  6. teddy_baca

teddy_baca SS.org Regular

I would say go K7. Ibanez 7s have the best neck of any I have played for some reason

7. silent suicide

silent suicide Winter is coming

K7. can't go wrong with a K7

8. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

Ibanez K-7 by far. Best 7 string (or any guitar) I have ever owned and played.

9. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Never played a K7. Ibanez guitars are awesome but the RC7 is badass. It is definitely a different beast.

A lot of folks bash Dean but I think they are nice guitars. I can't speak for the entry level guitars though. I'd imagine they're on par with entry level Ibbys.

10. dametalbeast

dametalbeast dametalbeast

Haha looks like Ive been out numbered. But Ive decided to go with the underdog! Im sure the build quality is better on the Ibby but I knew that from the start. The Dean is just so much more appealing to me, it was pretty much calling my name from the start. The specs are pretty even, personal preferences aside. and the build quality on Korean guitars are pretty damn solid, Im pretty sure its made in the same factory that Schecters and LTD are produced in and my Hellraiser C-7 was awesome as far as build quality. also I have pretty small hands and Im really excited to get my fingers around that Cooley spec neck, hair thin! I also like the combination of woods better. another reason I chose the Dean was dealing with the GC people, I called for details on the Ibanez, ten minutes into the conversation the guy realized that he was looking at a B.C Rich instead of an Ibanez, I mean come on!! Every review Ive read on the RC7 was positive and my first guitar was a Dean (a piece of crap :p) but It still holds some personal symbolic meaning. I think the RC is gonna be a great guitar, Ill have to see but I feel good about it :) , like I said Ive never played one, none of the guitars I was looking at ive played before in fact, nor was I able to play any since Portland music stores blow dick. plus as Ive said before it doesnt help when almost every Ibanez youve played has been mediocre at best. and a free hardcase and free shipping never hurt. thank you for your input guys, Ill do a follow up a few days after I get my beast.!