Ibanez K7 bridge replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Dreadge, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Dreadge

Dreadge SS.org Regular

Hello good people of SevenString.org. I have a question for you all and it's about my K7 Ibby 2004 model. See, I've bought it few years ago and till this day I still cannot fix the bridge issue. It has the worst intonation in i can't never tune it right. For example, the tuning on the the 12th fret and low cannot get in tune as in the higher position of the neck:wallbash:. Secondly, the 3rd, 5th and 7th string saddle is loose and it cannot be fixed. Then the strings are constantly buzzing on every position pass the 12th fret. I've talked to everyone in my country about it and they said that it needs a full saddle change. I mean everyone on it. That's expensive to be honest, and i rather buy a new bridge.
    I really like gotoh floyd rose system and i wanna change to it.
    What model of floyd fits on to the lo pro edge on the k7?

Thank you in a advance!

2. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

for some reason the bridge in my 2003 K7 that I bought new last year is also pretty messed up. couldn't use the trem without messing up the tunning. after a few set up I can use it nicely for pulling up, but never down. pretty weird, right?

3. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

4. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Gotoh doesn't make a 7-string trem FYI.

Aren't the higher frets harder to intonate anyways? String buzz should be related to action or fret work; especially if it happens after you reach a certain fret. When was the last time you had the guitar fully setup? I don't see why you can't fit the loose saddles with new screws too.

5. Dreadge

Dreadge SS.org Regular

I had the setup 2 mounts ago, and even thou it sounded good at the service now when I changed the strings it got to the previous form when it was out of tune. So, It's really starting to be a pain in the ass problem for me. Donno if I made a mistake of buying it in a first place, even thou it looks killer and everything else is working good. But this really is a major problem if you play live!

What is next to fit in the tremolo spot, any other good replacements?
    Thank You!

6. coldandhomeless

coldandhomeless SS.org Regular

u need a product called WD tremolo stabilizer for tuning issues. i cannot recommend it enough. anyone who has issues with floyds could use one. definantly get new saddles/and STAINLESS intonation screws. i get the allen screws from floydupgrades dot com. if its fretting out above the 12th fret, u either wore the frets down to the point they are hitting the last few frets, or u need a trussrod adjustment/raise the bridge. the lopro 7 edge is about the onlu bridge that will fit, but just the saddles really need replaced. the baseplate should be ok. seriously get the wd tremolo stabilizer. it will keep that beast solid until u need it to move.

7. Dreadge

Dreadge SS.org Regular

Thank you for the response. The frets are ok considering that it's from 2004. To be honest, I haven't played it very much. I'm kind of a strat player and I really prefer my Eric Clapton strat. Wish I could make it a 7 string.
    Thank you for the WD information I found out about it just now. I knew for the Tremolno system but this seams to work as well for less money.
    Is it hard to install it and does it need to be drilled on to wood or something like that?!

THANK YOU

8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The trem's tuning should be stable without the need for any additional gizmos. If the saddles are damaged, that will cause major issues with intonation and tuning stability. The buzzing above the 12th fret could be lots of things, but it's impossible to diagnose like this if the saddles are damaged.

When you changed strings, did you use the exact same gauge as before? How did you change them? One at a time, stretching each one before replacing the next? Or all at once? Changing string gauge or taking off all of the strings can require re-tweaking the set up, particularly the spring tension (and, if you changed gauge, the intonation can need tweaking too).

9. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean the saddle doesn't go far enough back? Also, please make sure you have the trem at the right angle, it should NOT be parrallell with the body. There is a "line" where the knife edges are, and that should be parrallell. You may find that setting it up like this will improve the range you can intonate over.

ALso, to intonate with more accuracy, you should do the intonation at the 24th fret.

Lastly, remember that no guitar intonates perfectly over the whole neck. It's why some artists have the fretwave system and all the other things people have done over the years.

In any case, make sure your trem is setup right, and in the correct position

In fact, please read through all the setup guides on ibanezrules, a lot of information there:

IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup

OK, the saddle is most likely fine, you just may need to replace the screws that mount it? I am not sure what you mean by "loose" what part is loose?

Anyway, a cheap way to get spare saddles is to buy a 6string bridge with the same parts like a lo pro, or an edge pro depending on what bridge your K7 has. That way you can cannibalise that bridge for spare parts. Also, check ebay, you don't need the exact same bridge.

Basically, the only thing you need to really keep is the baseplate of the bridge, all the rest can be easily replaced.

This sounds very much like a setup issue to me. Either the trust rod is too taught and your neck needs some relief putting into it, or the neck needs shimming, or your bridge is too low or a combination of all 3.

ok, well, here's some advice:

1) if it's a lopro trem, then you can get parts online for it, look on ebay, other places etc, basically, you can even buy a messed up lo pro 6 string trem and canibalise it for parts. The saddles all have numbers underneath them.

2) if it's an edge pro, then the same as above, but you'll need to find an edge pro.

3) If it's a lo pro edge, tuning is drastically improved by using the stud locks in the trem posts. You can access these with a small allen key. Otherwise, you can (if you have an edge pro) get locking posts from ibanez rules or ebay. they make a difference.

4) If some guy who did the setup left the guitar with all those problems, then change your guy that does setups. Some people are just not good enough

5) If you want to end this misery of guitar setups by other people, and not knowing how to do it yourself, buy a book. Electric Guitar Setups is a book that taught me the grounding to do my own, a bit of practice taught me the rest, then the internet taught me some more. It's not hard and well worth learning.

6) If all this fails, and you want to get rid of the k7 bridge, I'll gladly take it off your hands :)

10. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Also, can you please post some pics of the trem as it is set up now, side angle shots, and side shots of the neck so we can see what the neck relief is like on the guitar. All this will help figure it all out and give you more specific help :)

11. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths