Ibanez JPM - Oldie... but goldie tho?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by jruivo26, May 12, 2021.

1. jruivo26

jruivo26 SS.org Regular

Hi all,

I came across the opportunity of buying one of my dream guitars: an Ibanez JPM (P3 version).

Problem is, besides having chips and scratches all over the body, rusty pickups and bridge (nothing I would consider too atrocious - every guitar I own has cosmetic flaws), the headstock was broken after a fall and then glued/repaired by a luthier. This was 20 years ago and the owner says it didn't cause him any trouble ever since.

He is asking 1500 euros (around 1800USD) for it. But even going lower, I feel like I'm throwing an awful lot of money for a "flawed" guitar that can give me trouble at any point. Not mentioning that I will go through all of this if I ever decide to sell it in the future.

What do you think? Price is insane for a JPM, but still it's a cracked and glued headstock guitar.

2. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not worth it. :2c:

4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Too much for fixed one I bad shape IMHO. I had P2 and it sounded great. Lots of mojo. But the baseball bat neck was in time dealbreaker for me.

5. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Ew no. You could probably make a copy for that kind of money lol

6. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I mean, as a guitar, that's a terrible deal. There's nothing magical besides the unique paint job. It's an RG.

If it is, however, a collector thing to just have one maybe it's worth it to you. These things tend to sell for a lot just for the collectability - closer to twice what is being asked there.

Funny side note: I did a quick reverb search and the only one up right now is in fair condition (pretty beat up) and with EMG's :-D, current ask is about 3700 euros.

sirbuh likes this.
  7. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Nah!! Hard pass! You could pick those up minty a few years back for sub 1k. In that condition 500 Euro tops. Prices on JPM's have gotten insane lately saw plenty up for over 3k lately....Hoshino Anniversary models for like 5k....sillly money.

8. knet370

knet370 SS.org Regular

if you plan to play with it alot, you deserve something better for 1800usd. its not even the best playing guitar ever made. The neck is a personal preference thing. Its not your typical super wizard or even the thicker wizard. Its thick than those. the build quality is "normal". I have a p1-p4 just because of a collector thing but between my 3120s vs my jpms, i prefer the overall build quality plus the neck profile of my 3120s. Get yourself a 3120 model if you can fine one instead.

9. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

If it's your dream guitar, why wouldn't you want a nicer specimen?

Ordacleaphobia, 73647k and budda like this.
  10. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I've came across this one (facebook marketplace link, photo from the link) recently, is it the one you saw or are looking at? Are you local to it?

If it is and you're local to it, just go see it in person and then decide. If you're into having it shipped across the planet... let it go... nevertheless, 1500 for a broken neck is a bit of a stretch... maybe 1k?...

[​IMG]

11. jruivo26

jruivo26 SS.org Regular

Ha yes, I remember this one! Also from my country, the seller asked for a little less than 1500 euros when I contacted him a few months ago. Then someone bought it and put it up for sale on Reverb for 3700 euros :nuts: I like the P2 more than the P3 tbh, but the fact that it had EMGs and the owner drilled an additional hole on the body for an extra knob.... nah

odibrom likes this.
  12. jruivo26

jruivo26 SS.org Regular

É esta mesmo :)

Planning on seeing it in person, but still 1k is a lot for a broken toy. I think I'll keep saving my money for when I come across a better shape P1 or P2 :)

13. odibrom

odibrom .

In its description there is reference to a broken neck, have you talked to the guy?

A well repaired broken neck is as solid as a new one, I think... do you know who did the repair?

... I also remember that one with the extra knob. What a crime...

Seja como for, olá de um conterrâneo da zona do aeroporto... :D

14. jruivo26

jruivo26 SS.org Regular

Yeah I already talked to the guy, the guitar fell on stage 20 years ago and the neck broke in the headstock area. Was glued and repaired by "the best luthier he knows", whatever that could mean

15. odibrom

odibrom .

So, no name so about who did the repair so far...

16. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah, I'd pile on to the 'pass' crowd.
    I love the JPMs too, especially the P3, and for that reason, I would never consider a deal like this. Even if it was a good price, every time you look at it, you'll wish you had waited and gotten one that didn't have any issues.
    You've also got to remember that if you do end up selling it later on, say, to fund the purchase of a nicer one; you're going to run into the same issues this guy is now.

The amount of money that would make that deal worth it as a buyer imo would make it not worth it for the seller.

17. jruivo26

jruivo26 SS.org Regular

Yes this is totally true! Looks like another pass on a JPM :'(

18. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

IIRC I paid $1500 USD for one in mint / like new condition with OHSC and candy from @Uncreative123.

19. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Search JPM replacement body on eBay. Start a cool tribute project. Save some money but also having something fun to work on.