Ibanez J Custom one-off models (RG-TIME, etc.)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Sermo Lupi, May 18, 2020.

1. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

I remember Kessier's site, I think he had 19 J Customs if memory serves me correct. There was also another great site called J Custom Fan which had some cool models listed but then it just disappeared.

I agree with you on those one off models not being all that appealing, I find most of them a bit gaudy to be honest and the only one I really like was the RG Time, still kicking my self as I was in regular contact with that seller back in 2011/2012 I think and he said to me to contact him whenever I was ready to buy it.

There were a good few models I was unable to find or kept missing out on. I never had much luck with the RG Arch-1 model. I had one briefly then got an insane offer on it which I accepted knowing there was one for sale in New York....sold mine and immediately bought that one...then 24 hours after paying for it the guy emails me and says he got a better offer and took it...had to wait 7 days for Paypal to release the funds back to me. At that time I had the JCRG Metal-1, S540 Japan Urushi, just scored a Gear-1 and should have gotten that Arch-1 which from the 1997 Showcase catalog would have left me needing Art-1, S5400 and both finishes in the S3040. I had gotten both RG Gold-1 and RG Gold-2 at that time as well though they are 1999 models.

I always wanted a Kurosawa MRG model, namely the MRG5QMG (pic below) MRG4QMG and the MRG11 but you never see those Kurosawa models for sale, in fact that applies to all the Kurosawa models between 2003-2010. Always wanted a Reverse Headtsock JC as well now those are thin on the ground. When I came across one it was the Watanabe WRGR13B but on seeing actual pics of one for sale it looked a bit bland. Love the Rock Inn RRG5-CSS...only 6 of those made, could never find one and now after all these years there's one on ebayuk though it's been up a few times original at £2799 obo and despite not selling the sller has decided to relist at £3499!! My fave one that I liked the look of is the JCRG QM-1...almost impossible to find one of those (pic below) but after months of searching I stumbled across one for sale on some website based in the Far East... really wanted it but it just looked like way too much hassle, have never seen one since.

Kurosawa MRG5-QMG

1 kurosawa.jpg

JCRG QM-1

qm-1.jpg

WYLD STALLYNS, Masoo2, Edika and 2 others like this.
  2. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

What a list!

That QM-1 is pretty slick. Reminds me a bit of the 'Texas Special' RGPR 2, although the QM-1 is more purple than pink and has the reverse headstock you were after (comparison pic below).

[​IMG]

Masoo2, mlp187, Edika and 4 others like this.
  3. IbanezDaemon

Ah yes. The Texas Specials...that is very like the QM-1 for sure. I'm pretty sure all 3 models of the Texas Specials were originally built to be J Customs...I think the neck pockets are stamped J Custom but they went to a dealer in Texas of course and as JC's were Japan market only back then they had to be marked as Prestige.

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Gold, Time, and Art are all bucket list guitars for me.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  5. IbanezDaemon

Here's a few more rare ones that are in the Meinl collection:

1meinl.jpg

1meinl2.jpg

1meinl3.jpg

6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Man all that Ibanez action is making me all roused up. Not a fan of the time and other guitars mentioned by the OP but these latest one are awesome!

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The only rare J.Custom stuff I ever really liked were the CSD models.

8. benny

benny Ibanez RG Addict

Most of these RGs are too flashy for my tastes. A few that I had never seen though, which is cool.

I think I feel the same way.

9. Sermo Lupi

These fellas? (and the six string counterpart).

I do like those, but these days I'd take an RGR652 over them. That's throwing both the J Custom and rarity ideas out the window, though.

10. MaxOfMetal

They did more than just those, they were Japan exclusives so information is fairly scarce, but from what I can tell there were four different 6-string and three different 7-strings models.

They just haven't done anything low-key but super high end in awhile, especially in a 7.

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Anybody know how many J Custom 8s were made? I think the US market ones came with a certificate saying it was a limited run of 7 (presumably of each colour), but the EU market got a different certificate.

12. MaxOfMetal

Rich would probably know. I'd bounce that one off of him.

StevenC likes this.
  13. Sermo Lupi

That's good to know. Ibanez wiki only seems to have the following:
    • RG6CSD1, RG6CSD2
    • RG7CSD1, RG7CSD2, RG7CSD3
    • AX6CSD1
    It is funny, the CSD guitars have that 90s/early 2000s vibe despite being pretty stripped down. Maybe it's the inlay.

Ibanez have produced a few really good 'back to basics' guitars in the last few years. Meanwhile, The J Custom shop has been full steam ahead on crazy colours, specs, and the tree of life inlay. I do wonder whether they'll step back and do some more low-key as well.

14. WYLD STALLYNS

WYLD STALLYNS SS.org Regular

GOAT GOAT GOAT!!!! :)

Wildebeest likes this.