Ibanez Introducing the JS2400 Joe Satriani

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Xiphos68, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Nick1

Nick1 SS.org Regular

Nice! Cool video!

Im glad he actually talked about what went into making it and it wasnt just him for 6:38 saying "Hey Guys check out what I can do with my new guitar!" Playing fret 23 then 24 then 23 then 24 then 23 then 24 And Then 23 with a wah pedal then 24 with a wah pedal then 23 a wah pedal then 24 with a wah pedal!

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

You can always try a P90 on the bridge (yeah love for Sugizo as well) but that's pretty hard to get. No F-Spaced Phat Cats yet, though Joe's old bridge pickup Fred did have a very single coil like resonance.

Though this new one has a Mo-Joe on it, which sounds sweet as well. Extremely vocal.

As for HSH 21 fret strats... I want some like these:

JohnIce likes this.
  3. Zahs

Zahs Hmm, Upgrades?

me want!!!!!!!!!!!! Way cooler then my jS1200 :lol:

4. JPMDan

JPMDan IT'S OVER 9000!!!! Contributor

That's a JS I'd love to own.

5. walleye

walleye SS.org Regular

i dont understand what youre saying lol. how does that relate?

6. Apophis

Apophis Banned

cool guitar, but just another JS being honest :)

7. hide

hide Psyche scarring

What I get is that on a 22 the neck pickup is under the "virtual 24th fret" harmonic for the open strings, 12th harmonic relative to the 12th fret, 19th for 5th and so on. Since those are traditionally preferential positions to play on, that's what I thought being the reason for my telecaster having such a rich neck sound. I might be terribly wrong, mind you..

8. Jack Secret

Jack Secret SS.org Regular

It's like bringing the RG565 back only not because 565's were awesome. :)

9. sPliNtEr_777

sPliNtEr_777 SS.org Regular

a store near me is getting one in, Im soooooooo tempted to go and try it out, but two things put me off... no reverse hedastock and "do I really need an 11th guitar?" :lol:

seriously sexy axe tho :yesway:

10. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Of course you do! :squint: Stop that nonsense right now, young man! :nono:

@JP: I'm unsure of whether or not the 21 frets actually make a difference to 22 frets, as on all 21 fretters I've seen there's been room for an extra fret anyway without moving the neck pickup. My strat sure has it, and it seems You's does too (now that's some proper grammar right there :))

Regardless, thou shalt have rep for the Sugizo reference! :pops:

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  11. Bloody_Inferno

John, I don't think that 21 or 22 frets ever made a difference anyhow, neck placement on either is always the same place.

That said, I'm somewhat over 24 frets at the moment (I have too many of them :lol:) and a bit range restriction may inspire me as well as neck pickup tone. So far, the tone on the Pro Track JS 2400 is really appealing as well...

And cheers for the rep :cheers:, after trying Sugizo's SSP90 sig, I really wanted the same config.

12. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Looks like an amazing guitar, I notice he is using Marshall again and not the JSX, which makes me a bit :(

I have to get me a JS one of these days, I came very close to buying one of the Surfing with the Alien album cover ones.

13. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Holy Cruise! :eek: I'd kill for such an oppurtunity, that guitar is class all the way through, sideways and under! Sugi's rhythm tone is pretty much what I go for in my band, but I use the middle singlecoil on a HSS guitar for that. The mahogany body+neck and placement of the pickup gives it kind of that muscular sound that a bridge P-90 has :) Not quite there, but I do get a bridge humbucker on the other hand, so it's a worthy compromise :)

My view on 22 vs. 24 frets is pretty much that, for me, the awesome tone of the neck pickup weighs out the advantage of two more frets. If we were talking 27 or 31 frets or whatever then I could see the point, as that's a substantial amount of extra range, but compromising for just 2 silly extra frets isn't my thing... and if you play in drop D, you have that high D right there, which obviously is equivalent to having a high E in standard tuning :)

Besides, bending up to that high E obviously sounds WAY more awesome rockstar than just picking it ;)

14. Bloody_Inferno

That's pretty much why Joe didn't want 24 frets for the longest time. It was always about tone (plus the PAF Joe is an amazing neck pickup :eek:), which more important than range to many players. Gotta admire that. Come to think of it, that's probably why 7 strings are still not favoured by some "tone snobs", some prefer non locking trems over Floyds, and many many other little things that we as guitarists are very picky about in our quest for our ideal tone.

Of course the JS24 is the compromise of all this, because it's also cool to bend up to a high G. ;)

As for 24 fret tone, IMO this track shows that it is possible to still sound great:

In fact, this track was the very reason I still stand by Basswood and use Breeds.

Plus I'm going back to Japan this July. ;)

15. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Really dig the look of this JS I must say.
    Every time I watch a Satch video, I'm constantly struck by his sheer control of the instrument and how much he puts into each note he plays. It seems each year he's gotten older, he really knows how to put that extra bit of feel into each note.

16. LordCoven

LordCoven Well-Known Member

Hehehe - yeah, that's what struck me most about this vid also - Joe with a Marshall?!?!?! LOL

17. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Harmonics have nothing to do with it, really. What the neck tone has everything to do with is having that pickup as close to the middle of the string as possible (where it vibrates the most). Yeah, your "24th fret harmonic" is over a pickup on 22 fret guitars, but that doesnt matter cause as soon as you play any note thats not an open string, your harmonic moves up by that much anyway.

18. Bloody_Inferno

19. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

Really? I thought when I saw him play in a video, "wow his tone is so bluesy and boring, sounds pretty mainstream rock/blues" saw in another frame of the video he was in fact playing a Marshall, and other videos with his Peaveys sounded so much more unique. :2c:

20. Bloody_Inferno

Ever since he got his JSX, Joe's been pretty inconsistent with his choice in amps/pedals settings. It's bizarre. For a guy who got a 3 channel amp tailor made for him, he then goes along and uses a dist pedal to drive the clean channel (even on certain stages where he would use 2 DS-1s or 2 Satchurators). It's the Hendrix mentality that won't be going away. Going back to Marshalls is just going full circle. Even with his Peavey tone being undoubtedly unique, we all know and can't deny how awesome his tone was in LISF.

Who knows, he may not even use the JS2400 exclusively like all of the fixed bridge mahogany JS models.

And like I've said earlier in this thread, Satch has always had a foot deep in the blues. Even from his earlier records it's evident. Admittedly his recent efforts have put blues passion in the forefront.

But then again, I'm just rambling on how much of a Satch fanboy I am. :lol: And IMO, my favorite tone comes from the song Why and the Crystal Planet album (IIRC though I may be wrong, he was experimenting with Boogies at the time).