Ibanez EHB series - headless multiscale basses!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by laxu, Jan 6, 2020.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Ibanez in a surprise move is releasing a series of headless basses for this year.

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/model/ehb/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The black is as boring as they come but I dig the seafoam green one. A bit on the fence for the burl top model finishes, I wish they had done the "beach" finish they have on some of their guitars instead of that somewhat odd purple and green/blue.

The main differences for these models are burl top, panga pange neck/fretboard, Nordstrand pickups vs basswood body, roasted maple neck/fretboard and Bartolini pickups on the solid colors. 33-35" multiscale.

I love that they have gone with the shorter 33" for the high string, it's perfect. I really like the BTB-ish body as well.

Pricing at Thomann is 1199€ for solid colors and 1599€ for burl tops, 1699€ for the 6-string. Available in 3-4 weeks.

Zhysick, RBadel, Solodini and 4 others like this.
  2. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

These are ugly and disgusting and I want one. So badly.

3. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Those are so hot. Hate to be the typical sevenstring.org guy but god damn it i wish they had done a Dingwall type scale length.

LordIronSpatula and Masoo2 like this.
  4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

For me the shorter 33-35" is perfect. I already play a 33" BTB33 modded for a low B and my only complaint is that the low B could be tighter feeling and snappier sounding.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  5. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I really dig the 33 inch high end and have always wanted to try a BTB33, but man I think this would be perfect with a 33-36 fan

36 seems to never come up with these more common fanned basses, wonder why?

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

10 companies increase scale length by 1 inch
    20 random SSO guy asks for one inch more
    30 GOTO 10

35" already is the "one inch more" for 5 string basses...

GenghisCoyne likes this.
  7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I'd say for fanned frets you don't want a huge gap between the scale lengths as that will make it harder to play on the low strings. Most seem to stick to 1.5-2" scale difference. Dingwall is probably one of the few manufacturers who go further.

8. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

I'm interested in the 6 but want to try it out before I buy. Hopefully GC will carry them. A lot of my gigs are sight reading so I want to be sure I can do that comfortably on a multiscale without getting goofed up.

9. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

yeah that's what I was wondering, Dingwall and a handful popularized the 34-37 which transition down to the LTD, Brice, and few other production models.

I *think* Schecter had a 34-36?

10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

A lot of people have been calling the fan pointless, but lets not forget a fan is always a nice upgrade for tonal balance and tension balance on traditional string sets. Playability too.
    For standard range tunings, this shortening of the treble side is real nice! Definitely missing a lot of the downtuning target market of course, but a nice option for the more traditional crowd to pick up something very modern.
    That fret access is amazing - I wish more companies would design for a clear last fret

AxeHappy and Masoo2 like this.
  11. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

It doesn't matter what scale they were to release: release 33-35", and people complain it's not 37", or a 31-33".

AxeHappy likes this.
  12. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I was wondering this too in my post about the chosen scale lengths https://www.sevenstring.org/posts/5085888/ , 36" seems optimum.
    Anyway, these are still excellent and it is so good to see some significant advancement by a big manufacturer and some shift in the market (finally, 40 years after Steinberger's innovation).

Masoo2 likes this.
  13. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

im good with the scale options. 36 is unrealistically niche for any production instrument. i will go ahead and bitch about not having a maple 6 string. never heard of dookie dookie, definitely not buying a bass with it without trying it first.

AxeHappy likes this.
  14. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Surprised that my comment garnered such a seemingly negative response, especially from the crowd who fawns over Kalium's 39/40 inch basses, pushing guitars to 28+, and other inherently niche concepts.

I think 35 is fine but it was simply a question as to why it's not done more often, spending some more time looking into it almost every production fanned fret is 34-37 or the Ibanez approach. Schecter and Ormsby (albeit only on the 4 string) seem to be the two offering 36 inch low ends.

I remember seeing this bass a few months back and wondering if it was some small Japanese luthier who put it out cause the prototype they sent Ichika didn't have an Ibanez logo. It's probably the furthest from Ibanez design I've seen in a while; even the AZ's didn't steer too too far away from what Ibanez is known for.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's just wenge grown in a different region. It's considered 1:1 interchangeable.

RiksRiks, GenghisCoyne and AxeHappy like this.
  16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Uh oh, The EHB1005 and EHB1005ms have me seriously in trouble. Those just threw a wrench in my plans. I must resists and stay the course but Everything about those is checking boxes. not much of a fan of headless guitars but with these two basses it don't seem to matter. Even the price is right for those.

17. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

If the 6 was available in that Seafoam Green I'd be fucked.

I may well end up with the 5 string.

18. LordHar

LordHar SS.org Regular

I want the 6 and the seafoam 5... badly.

19. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

+1 for Seafoam. I'll have to do a PU upgrade immediately though.

20. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Look neat but sweetwater is already listing them for $1300, at that point I'd rather have a kiesel. Hopefully they'll be cheaper used, but BTB's on reverb are still crazy high. :(