Ibanez dimebag darrell prototype?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Kornfann1024, Sep 11, 2019.

1. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Dimebag is proof you don't need a top dollar high end guitar to play well and make good music. I loved that Ola video and how out of the 150+ guitars Dimebag had, ALMOST all of them were total garbage, beat up shit guitars, like EVH's frankenstien too. If Dimebag never made these types of guitars famous and they were just guitars sitting in pawnshops, most people would think they suck. Same with Jimi Hendrix's strats. Those were garbage beat up guitars that couldn't stay in tune. Almost everyone nowadays would rather have a Squire I'd bet if put side by side with each one not knowing of who used them. I'll bet these guitars had that certain mojo though that the others don't. I'd bet you could feel it when you played them too. They're magic guitars. Some of those guitar he had are incrdible. That blue and black one without the lighning looked pretty cool too.

2. Kornfann1024

Kornfann1024 SS.org Regular

^^^^ hard agree. I just love the shape of ml's and stealth's. Theyre just super comfy to me. And like you said its nice to see somebody that could have literally called most major companies and said "build me this." Went to pawn shops.

3. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

lot of washburn 333 slime i saw were not as "bright" and almost neon as some i saw on videos or even in Ola's video. The yellow on it was almost orange, the green was dull...
    The DEAN Usa i saw on ebay were spot on the color, as the recent china made dean Slime ml they released. anyone has this one to confirm? The slime colored one is to me emblematic of Dime.

4. jtm45

jtm45 SS.org Regular

I think the dark sunburst flame-top with the KISS sticker is my favourite one of Dime's guitars. A great looking guitar!!!

Slightly OT but there was one of those 'Guitar Heroes at the BBC' episodes on the other night with an early 70s Old Grey Whistle Test performance by the Runaways. Lita Ford was playing a Black Hamer Standard/Explorer with white binding. She was wearing a one-piece spandex jumpsuit too. Fantastic guitar...........great look too!!! Must have been one of the earliest Standards Hamer made.
    She still uses that guitar too and it looks pretty much mint.
    It's soooooooo sad that Fender let Hamer fold. The proper US made Hamers were amazing guitars. There was guy who worked there as one of their main Master builders (Mike Shishkov or something like that ?) who opened his own custom shop after Hamer shut down. He was building his own take on a few of the classic Hamer designs but with his name on them and they're absolutely top-notch. He has a Facebook page that's worth a look if you like Hamer's. His Standards are stunning!!!!

5. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I meant the actual neck specs. Like if they used a star body and tossed an RG neck on it :) thin and flat is not dimes bag (by the way fulllll pun intended there)

6. jtm45

jtm45 SS.org Regular

I suppose something like a DT Destroyer II neck profile would be more of Dime's bag (oops......apologies ;)).
    I used to have one of the older 80's set-neck flame-top Destroyer II's and it was a very similar profile to the ML's and the Dean Explorers of the same era. Another guitar that i should never have let go of but for some stupid reason i did.
    I also had one of the Phil Collen triple pickup black Destroyers. It was a beautiful guitar but it had one of those Ibanez pre-Edge locking trems that i really didn't get on with.
    I reckon one of the White Zombie ICJ Iceman (the bright Green ones with the silver stars) would have suited Dime really well. The best Iceman or Destroyer Ibanez ever made in my opinion. Shame they're so expensive!

c7spheres likes this.
  7. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I love that Hamer...

setsuna7 likes this.
  8. Kornfann1024

My ibanez prototype thanks to Randy. I cant wait to finalize specs and get my hands on this beast Screenshot_20190903-103044_Chrome.jpg

9. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

As an interesting aside, Some SSO members will remember and probably still feel the sting as I do, Mike Sherman of Sherman guitars fame, built the Hamer prototype for Dime and then later joined Washburn and he built the first of the Slime and Dime Bolt models Dime used before the production versions came out.

neat and terrible at the same time. Mike still has hardware I sent him or perhaps that's on someone else's guitar he built. Cest la vie

efiltsohg likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Beat up guitars aren't bad guitars. I have a 30 year old Universe that's worn to the bone, but with a new(er) bridge, replacement frets (from wear), and a proper setup it'll smoke just about anything from a playability and stability standpoint.

Old, beat guitars are actually better than new ones. The wood has reached stasis so it's rock solid. Anything bad has long since been replaced. The fretboard edges have worn into a nice roll.

Don't forget, the Frankie was made with what would be high-end boutique parts these days. Boogie body and neck, USA Gibson PAFs, original FR from back when Floyd was milling them by hand.

Bigfan, aesthyrian, c7spheres and 6 others like this.
  11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

This is some seriously cool design there.
    I miss the VBT700, wish they'd have offered it with an Edge Trem & a 7 string version.

AxeHappy and Kornfann1024 like this.
  12. Kornfann1024

The inspiration cam because i had both the VBT700 and the DTT700. And i had sold my cheapo ml noir years ago because beside the shape i hated everything else about it. So i did my best( wich was HORRIBLE) photo shop mashup of the destroyer and v blade, but didnt like the horn on the destroyer with the tips on the vblade, so a cut and turn and boom! Vblade horn....randy did a far better job XD. But now after seeing that BCR idk if i wanna do a stacked single in the neck as to not seem crampped

AxeHappy and TonyFlyingSquirrel like this.
  13. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Angle jack the output on the upper wing of the V and that is the shiznat!

14. Kornfann1024

Way ahead of yeah....going to be recessed into the back side of the upper part of the v.