Ibanez BTB 20th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Brayden Buckingham, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Brayden Buckingham

Brayden Buckingham SS.org Regular

Walked into a store I normally don't go to and saw a bunch of sweet basses ; pretty hard finding stuff in stores with this covid nonsense , especially here in Canada with massive shipping disruptions among other things . First thing that caught my eye is the " Jackenbacker " aka Rickenbacker by Jackson . In all fairness , it actually looks really good in person , neck through design , and it felt good although I didn't plug it in .

What caught my eye was this sick Ibanez BTB , a 6 string of all things . I've held one once about 2 years ago and never thought much , but man I picked this thing up and jeez was it nice . Real heavy , solid feeling , nice meaty neck , pretty wide string spacing . It was used , but in mint condition , not a mark or anything . Ended up getting a killer deal , walked out with it below $1000 CAD . I don't have any nice pictures yet so I ripped this off Google images ..

Ironically I get back home and literally within 3 hours , one of my favorite bass players ( Bitoku Bass on YouTube , bassist for the band Sailing Before The Wind ) who owns about 3 BTBs ( which made me want one ) posted a video endorsed by Ibanez showcasing the new 2022 line , one of which is a 6 string multiscale 37" BTB ... figures ! I already own a Dingwall so I'm chilling but damn , if I was rich

Was curious if anyone else plays them or owns a similar one . I'll probably get another one day , easily . I know they made 4's , but it seems like 5 and 6s are the current range . Should I get the 7 eventually ? Haha . The low B seems decent enough for a 35" scale , I'm keeping this one in standard tuning anyways and the Dingwall will be FBEADG , whenever I get strings

Attached Files:

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Nice score and HNGD. I have a BTB 405QM 5 string that I love. My bass player has an old 6 string MIJ BTB, that was converted into a fretless , that made me seek out a BTB for myself. The neck shape, size, and string spacing is perfect to me. His Warwick is nice, but the BTB is more comfortable and I prefer it all around.

3. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Congrats man!

I have a BTB7 from the first run they did (walnut top, gloss finish). It has the preamp and Sonic Arch pickups from the Grooveline basses, which is among their best sounding OEM electronics packages. Definitely a heavy bass as well, which is no fun if you're gigging a lot. :D

The new multi scale is sounding pretty good in the demo videos. I bet with the Nordstrands, yours is no slouch either!

4. Brayden Buckingham

Thank you ! I actually looked up the 405QM and wow that finish is gorgeous ! There is one here in Canada very slightly used for 450$ or something like that before shipping . I'm looking for a 4 string down the line , so those could be an option ! And I agree with you on the spacing and neck ! 10 / 10 for me , and I'm not just saying that because it's new ... I've picked mine up before bed and ended up messing around for about an hour easily , no hand fatigue or issues . The finish isn't sticky either unlike some other basses I've played at stores . Not into gloss necks !

I've always thought the 7 was just a crazy bass . I can barely play a 4 , yet alone a 6 , I couldn't imagine 7 . Maybe years down the line I'll snag one , but I feel 6 is perfect for what I want to accomplish and just the additional benefit of experimenting and improvising , without being swamped with too many strings .

I'm happy with Nordstrands . From demos I've heard , I wasn't super impressed with Bartolinis , which is another reason I snagged this model . I don't have a professional audio set up yet , so that could just be what I'm limited to , but I've never heard a bass with Nordstrands that sounded flat .

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

oooo nice!

6. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Dirt Magurt

Oooohhh that’s purdy.

7. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Nice! I gotta 5 string BTB and it's a tank.

Brayden Buckingham likes this.
  8. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Shit man that looks nice.

9. Brayden Buckingham

Thanks everyone ! My only complaint I have so far is that the B doesn't have the most tension , when using a pick and playing pretty heavy ( like unnecessarily heavy plucks ) . I don't always plug in when I play , just for sake of ease , and when getting really djenty and trying to emphasize notes , it can flop around a bit .

I'm not sure what strings it has currently but I want to say they're pretty standard gauge . I'm going to grab some D'addario XL nickel roundwounds ; 32 - 45 - 65 - 85 - 105 - 135 . I feel like the 135 will make a difference , although again in a recording session I wouldn't be playing the way I do when just jamming , so that's a player issue more than anything .

Other than that , still buzzing off it . If anyone can find a 6 string bass chord image / practice sheet send it my way . I've really enjoyed having a C for improvising , but I really want to hone some of the advantages have a 6 carries and some nice chords combined with some of my other musical tastes could end up working really well .