Ibanez AX 7-string

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Vince, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Vince

Vince Contributor

Anyone like this guitar? I played one the other day and I just thought it felt horrible. It's wider from top to bottom than my old BC Rich Warlock was, and you can't reach the frets above about the 18th without putting your entire hand over the top of the neck. Totally horrible design IMO. Anyone buy one of these? I can't believe this is the only 7-string stocked in 3 different stores here in town.

[​IMG]

2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I played one at Sam Ash, and its definately the worst ibanez i've played.
    Worst of all, its cheap looking.

3. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Yeah, I had my paws on that too.

Not my first choice, or second, or ..ect.

It's just plain ugly..

4. Prophecy420

Prophecy420 BEADGBE

Yeah, those are fuckin' crap. Ibanez made it possible for the nu metal kiddies to drop 200 bux on a guit and crank out drop A all day long. It's probably part of the reason the oldschool rockers, blues guys and shit like that, look down on the seven string people. they think all we do is grind out ultralow tuned crap all day long.

:mad:

5. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Yeah, it is horrible looking. Its just, ugh. Only reason i picked up the one at sam ash is cause it was the only 7 they had in at the time. And i hadnt got any of mine yet.. And i wanted to play some Carcass ;p

6. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

+1 for not liking those at all. Cheap, ugly, cucca.

7. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

I bet with better electronics, it could be a decent condentender, but as most of you stated, the playabillity is crap. Fit and finish is weak too.

I thought of getting one as a throw arround guitar, but then I decided Id just be more careful with my RG.

But if I saw one used for 100 bones, I think Id be pretty tempted to pick one up,
    and butcher the crap out of it.

8. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

Yep, $100 would sell me on one as a beater as well.

I suppose it's a cool axe for young kids just getting started. I got my first guitar when I was 13 because I made the honor roll. :lol: A Kramer supercheapie with a Peavey Rage 108 (rocking 8" spekaer of doom!)

I listened to shit like Dokken and Metallica back then. If I was a young DT fan, or hell, even Korn, InsertNuMetalBandThatDetunesHere, it'd probably be cool as hell to have a 7 string - and would help a lot of parents (like mine) who think "Oh, this thing will collect dust" to at least get their kids started on the right foot.

Where we're at now, I think we all play well enough to deserve a wee better than that thing. But hell, if I see one cheap enough I'll probably buy it. :D

9. ChrisPcritter

ChrisPcritter Contributor

Alrighty then...
    Hi My name is Chris and I'm an Ibanez AX 7221 owner...
    (Crowd)Hi Chris

First off let me say that mine is made in Korea while from what I can remeber they are
    supposed to be made in China. Maybe mine was an early one
    Mine plays well. Tuning is a pain, it seems like you have to keep tightening the screws in the tuners. I got it used and did a quick setup on it.

That being said, it's on ebay righ now because my wife had an operation and is out of work for a few months. Otherwise, I'd keep it and do a custom paint job to it which may end up happening anyways since the ugly factor just keeps them from selling.

I heard someone say once " that girl fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way to the ground.." the tree has since been cut down and made into Ibanez AX guitars.. I'm an Ibanez nut but yes this ones "got a great sense of humor and personality"

But how does it look. "It's a good price" . And the looks... You'll get past that, once the lights are out.... Wait a minute, did I get my meds today.... I'll be back in a minute....

10. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

Its also 24.75" in scale. :noway:

11. noodles

noodles Contributor

^ Yep. :noway:

There is not one thing I like about those guitars. They are terrible in just about every way. Even if it was the best materials and worksmanship in the world, I would still hate that bulky, short scaled, horrible fret access, ugly bodied piece of shit.

12. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Don't forget it's a neck heavy bastard, too.

Holy ancient thread bump! :lol:

13. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I found the old AX7551 I had was a joy to play sitting down. Of course the stockers sound like shit and was cheap, and ugly, but it did play great. The scale wasn't an issue at all, I get along with 24.75's fine. Of course when standing it was a different story but I never took that thing to practice (nor did I keep it long).

The AX7221 however? Unplayable IMO. Terrible fretwork, sandpaper neck, god awful tuners, the whole 9 yards.

14. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

I've owned both the Japanese and the Korean and there was a world of difference quality wise. I bought the Korean here for a beater back up and promptly sold it, it didn't do anything for me. The Japanese I got as partial trade was much nicer. It's for sale now but not because I didn't like it.

I agree about the looks, they are ugly. Then again, I played a EB/MM JP7 for years too and I though it was one of the ugliest guitars out there.

15. st2012

st2012 Texas CEO / RHLC

Lol that guitar was my first 7 a loooong time ago and it is indeed crap. Sentimental to me though so I still have it laying around.

16. jim777

jim777 Seen all good people Forum MVP

I liked my 7521. It had a PAF7 in the neck, and the TZ7 in the bridge actually sounded pretty good as well. Might be the only worthwhile application for a TZ7. ;)
    But it was easy as can be to play, and sounded good unplugged as well. A longer scale and more of an old AR-300 look and they would have sold considerably better IMO. Ibanez should have put a few more minutyes of thought into these guitars; a 7 string AR-300 would be a must buy for me (with the right scale of course).
    I never bothered with the 7221 guitars, so I have no opinion on them.

jim

17. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

I had a 7221 a long time ago. That neck was horrible.

18. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

I'm actually a huge fan of the AX7521 (the original JPN version). Though it may not have great upper-fret access, it's not bad, and the neck is very comfortable from frets 1-18 or so. I also really like the slinky feel of the 24.75" scale.

19. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

Do you want your's back? PM me, I'll give you a hell of a deal.

20. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

I bought one from Mesh and sold it right away. Now the guy I sold it to wants it gone as well!