Ibanez 7 String RG with thickest/narrowest neck profile

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the concept of relativity is lost on some. :scratch:
But what's the point? This seems like a question that would take a lot of effort to answer, but I'm suspicious that you are asking the wrong question anyway.

Your JP7 has too thin of a neck, but the Sterling was perfect. Just get the Sterling, then. Why get an RG7, which is the quintessential thin-neck 7 string guitar? Maybe try some other guitars, like Jacksons or ESPs/LTDs or Schecters, etc. Feel has to do with a helluvalot more than just the thickness anyway.

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But what's the point? This seems like a question that would take a lot of effort to answer, but I'm suspicious that you are asking the wrong question anyway.

Your JP7 has too thin of a neck, but the Sterling was perfect. Just get the Sterling, then. Why get an RG7, which is the quintessential thin-neck 7 string guitar? Maybe try some other guitars, like Jacksons or ESPs/LTDs or Schecters, etc. Feel has to do with a helluvalot more than just the thickness anyway.
Pretty sure thick & narrow = shop at another brand

I have an RG7421 with the 3-piece maple/bubinga neck and was wondering what the relative thickness was of the maple only necks, since I generally prefer a thicker neck. This was all outlined in the first post. Saying something that amounts to WRONG BRAND is dismissive and unhelpful to the question.

The JP story was background context regarding my preference for a thicker neck, I already said I would likely be buying a Sterling. The question was about RG necks.

So if you're not contributing to the question at hand, you don't have to reply to the thread. Nobody needs someone to tell them that Ibanez necks are generally flat/wide. Thanks.

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I have an RG7421 with the 3-piece maple/bubinga neck and was wondering what the relative thickness was of the maple only necks, since I generally prefer a thicker neck. This was all outlined in the first post. Saying something that amounts to WRONG BRAND is dismissive and unhelpful to the question.

The JP story was background context regarding my preference for a thicker neck, I already said I would likely be buying a Sterling. The question was about RG necks.

So if you're not contributing to the question at hand, you don't have to reply to the thread. Nobody needs someone to tell them that Ibanez necks are generally flat/wide. Thanks.
Hey, you do you. I'm just try to keep you from barking up the wrong tree, but it sounds like maybe you just like barking all over. It's your money.

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, you do you. I'm just try to keep you from barking up the wrong tree, but it sounds like maybe you just like barking all over. It's your money.
edit: not worth arguing about. Like you said, "you do you."

daveyisgreat

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thought I'd try to add my limited experience. With hand and wrist issues I'm careful with neck profiles. I've had a couple Ibanez 7s, seems I get into 7s for a while then not. Anyway, over the last 10 years or so I've had a 99 RG7621, 98 UV Silver Dot, and now an 05 Ikebe model HRG72.

Unfortunately no measurements, just rough assessments:

The 99 RG7621 was thicker, maybe a difference of 1mm, but still a good amount of shoulder, like a fat D. Not overly wide.

The 98 UV Silver Dot was similar in depth but just a hair less shoulder, and still pretty D shaped.

The 05 HGR72, now this one is flat in the back and a ton of shoulder, and feels thin and wide.

For me fretboard radius is a big contributor. So even though they all have the same flat fretboard radius I believe, the back shape can make the fretboard radius feel exaggerated and therefore the entire feel of the neck. So I would say if you're looking for a thicker, narrower feel, take a look at fretboard radius as well and maybe go for a smaller fretboard radius.

ChAoZ

Build Addict
Reaction score
This might help some

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This might help some

It's a very helpful resource but the neck profiles between the wiki pages and the yearly catalogs don't always correlate 100% accurately.

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay!

Here's a sample of three of mine:

RG7620 - All maple neck

width: 1st fret - 49.69mm / 1.947in 12th fret - 60.02mm / 2.366in

thickness: 1st fret - 19.45mm / 0.773in 12th fret - 21.36mm / 0.836in

S7420 - 3 Piece Maple / Bubinga

width: 1st fret - 49.99mm / 1.967in 12th fret - 60.03mm / 2.367in

thickness: 1st fret - 19.18mm / 0.751in 12th fret - 21.21mm / 0.834in

RGD2127 - 5 Piece Maple / Walnut

width: 1st fret - 50.59mm / 1.991in 12th fret - 62.26mm / 2.450in

thickness: 1st fret - 19.99mm / 0.801in 12th fret - 21.99mm / 0.865in

Would you be able to check the heel width for each of these sometime if it's not too much trouble? Thanks again for these dimensions :metal:

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For anybody still interested I recently acquired a very early RG7620 with the all maple neck and it couldn't feel MORE different than the 3-piece maple/bubinga neck RG7421. Noticeably thicker with more shoulder. I was expecting a more subtle difference but it's pretty drastic. Both very cool.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m confused… are you asking about profile, like wanting a C shape Ibanez rg as opposed to the D shape?

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score

mattier303

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My 7-string guitar journey began quite recently, only within the past few months but I'm absolutely hooked. I currently have an Ibanez RG-7421 MIJ from 2000, and a Music Man JP7.

I bought the JP7 after playing a Sterling JP70 at a Guitar Center and found the neck absolutely perfect because of its full-bodied roundness, it filled my hand perfectly. The Ibanez by comparison, while thicker than some other Ibanez models I've played, is still traditionally "Ibanez" and quite flat/thin overall.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a bit disappointed that the Music Man JP7 neck profile is quite different from the Sterling JP70 - quite flat/thin overall and not much of a departure from my Ibanez RG7421. I plan to likely circle back around to the JP70 because I liked the neck so much.

Meanwhile, I've been researching Ibanez neck profiles for their 7-string RG models on the Ibanez Fandom Wiki, searching for what would be the fullest/narrowest 7-string neck profile. It would seem, if the info can be considered reliable, that the thickest/narrowest Ibanez 7-string neck profile is the "RG7" profile (correct me if I'm wrong). However I can't seem to figure out what model is associated with this neck shape. The wiki seems to indicate that the RG-7620/RG-7621 has the "RG7" neck profile however the yearly Ibanez catalogs only indicate it as a "Wizard" neck shape.

Then there's the matter of whether you find one with the all maple neck or the 3-piece maple/bubinga/maple necks - from what I've read it seems the all maple necks are slightly thicker than the 3-piece necks which would stand to reason, as making a neck out of separate pieces of wood usually results in increased stiffness, which is needed with a thinner neck profile.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge to share, on which Ibanez 7-string guitar models (preferably RG shape) would feature the most thick and narrow neck profile, I would really appreciate hearing it!
So I am a huge ibanez fan and even bigger fan of the thicker necks they have made in th epast. I play 6 string but some of this should translate over to 7 strings.

The 1996-2001 ibanez j.customs have Ultra necks which are 19-20mm @ 1-12Id look for the RG7CST. or RG7CT sick VV finish! Also the jcustom sfrom this era have offset dot fret markers instead of vines, i cant do busy ornate fret boards!

The UV77 or Universe should have a thick neck, called a viper I think. roughly 21.5mm @ 1st - 22.5mm @ 12

The mij made RT models have fat necks, the JPM, check out ibanezwiki list of necks https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ibanez-7-string-rg-with-thickest-narrowest-neck-profile.354041/

Durchfall

"Savory shreds"
Reaction score
I have a JP15 7 and an RG7321 that I've kept through the years.

I'd say the JP15 neck is a little less flat/thin if you will than the RG7321. It's ever so slightly rounder than the Wizard, but not drastically. The transition from the RG neck to the JP neck was seamless honestly. Sometimes those Wizard necks to me can just feel like the thinnest planks of wood haha. Great for easy leads and fast solos, but sometimes I yearn for something a bit more round to grab onto if you're really moving around on stage or leaning hard into a riff or chord progression.