ibanez 7 string max gauge before nut issues

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by XxAlbertoxX, Dec 29, 2019.

1. XxAlbertoxX

XxAlbertoxX SS.org Regular

Does anyone experienced with Ibanez guitars like the RG or S 7strings (25.5" scale), know the thickest gauges of strings you can get before having issues with the nut/having to file the nut?

2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

No, but I've used as thick as a 74 for the low with no issues. I use a 70 now though, would like to try a 65 or 67.

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Don't worry about it - you can expand a nut in minutes with the new string itself, just rub it back and forth carefully until it fits width ways and contacts at the bottom. Just make sure you aren't making the slot deeper, you're only looking to contact underneath.

4. XxAlbertoxX

lol I have like OCD.... I really don't want to just "makeshift" a nut opening for my strings on my 1000$ guitar.... i have absolutely no knowledge of guitar luthiery(sp?) and surely there must be a "proper" way to do it ... lol

5. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

You could take it to a tech and have them widen the nut slots for you....or you could do it yourself with nut files (Stewmac has them) or jeweler's files. The method Winspear posted is perfectly fine, though

6. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

Using a portion of string to widen the slot is actually one of the better ways to do it without paying for ridiculously expensive slotting files. And when it achieves the same result as using a slotting file, does it matter if it's not the 'proper' (expensive) way? No.

7. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm a guitar tech and I usually do it this way, as well. Most nut files don't come in the exact gauge you want, so the best thing to use to get the exact size is the string itself.

I'll usually use a section of the string past where I would normally cut it once I restring, so it doesn't affect the integrity of the string once it is tuned to pitch.

XxAlbertoxX likes this.
  8. XxAlbertoxX

Well I'll be damned. I stand corrected :agreed:

9. DCM_Allan

DCM_Allan Sol Invictus

If you don't want to expand the nut, then don't use a string gauge that your nut can't hold, LOL

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just about all Ibanez 7-strings are setup for either D'Addario EXL110 or EXL120 7-string sets, so .009" to .054" or .010" to .059".

As such the nut is supposed to be cut for those gauges. Often, it's cut a hair too small.

Sorting out the fitment of your chosen strings at the nut is part of the basic setup that should be performed whenever you purchase a new guitar.

The nuts are left with "extra" material as it's much easier to remove than add when working on them. They usually come a little high as well.

As others have said, it's easy enough to carefully "saw" the slots with the off-cuts of the string you plan on using. Making sure to not deepen the slot. You should only deepen the slot if you have an under-string radius gauge to follow and correction is needed. If you're sizing up greater than about .005" a set of needle or jeweler's files will work just fine. Gauged files are more for roughing in new blanks than fine tuning an already cut nut.

After the slot is widened, clean it up with some compressed air, making sure all the dust is out. Lube with some white grease and evaluate.

SlipknotKoRnfan and DCM_Allan like this.
  11. DCM_Allan

DCM_Allan Sol Invictus

Very useful I love it.

12. Type_R3387

Type_R3387 SS.org Regular

DCM_Allan: THE LEADER IN CUTTING EDGE SOLUTIONS

7stringDemon likes this.