Ibanez 7 string and BKP pickup fit issues?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by landmvrks, Dec 15, 2020.

1. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

I ordered a set of BKP Impulse pickups to go in my new guitar (linked here). Afterwards, I received an email from one of their workers stating that they weren't sure if it would fit in my guitar, and they may need to "modify" the metal backplate, and even still I "might" have to sand down the cavity to make it fit. My question is, does anyone have experience with this? Also knowing this, would you go ahead with the order? Not sure what to do right now. I've seen videos of people with Ibanez 7 strings and BKP Impulse pickups installed, so is this potential problem something specific to the particular model I bought?

2. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Yes you will need to route the cavities to fit. Ibanez routed those for the pickups that are installed already. The pickup corners are closer to the bobbins corner radius. The impulses have a more rectangular design like a covered pickup. The corners on those are smaller and extend a bit further. Minor modifications but a modification that will be necessary if you want those pickups installed.

most shops will be able to do it easily and probably charge around ~$40 on top of the install.
    I live in Cali where (everything and) labor is expensive. Prices may vary!

Manurack likes this.
  3. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

Alright appreciate the info. My worry is that if they have to resize the cavity (thus remove some of the original paint job inside), you will see the wood underneath the paint job in the cavity and it will look super shitty. Am I missing something here? Also, should I be worried about BKP "modifying" the metal backplate to accommodate this, I'm assuming this has no bearing on the sound correct?

4. Atefred

Atefred SS.org Regular

Bare Knuckle filing down the baseplate slightly is no concern, they do it I think rather often spending on the guitar they will go in (at least they seemed to indicate it was common when I ordered aftermaths for my solar). Either way the baseplate plays no part in the tone afaik.

5. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

All metal parts in a pickup plays part in the tone BUT some is just so marginal that won't make any difference and rounding the corners of the baseplate won't afect the tone to a noticeable level: is not like changing the silver/nickel baseplate for copper so... nothing to worry about.

I just wanted to point out that it afects the tone but just to a point that not even a dog will notice. Physics vs imperfect human hearing I guess :lol:

JimF, AkiraSpectrum and Atefred like this.
  6. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

Alright good to know, appreciate it! The paint job is still going to look whack inside the cavity though right?

7. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Well, a propper luthier should paint black with conductive paint the inner part of the cavity so it looks like "stock" and all that... you know, go to a good one not to a cheap/fast one. One you can trust will do it right. If well done nobody will notice. Ever.

MaxAidingAres likes this.
  8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, get a qualified tech to dremmel the feet/tabs of the pickups. As others mentioned, the cavity is routed often with small feet/tabs in mind because they are usually Dimarzio (which have small tabs/feet). All you need to do is cut the feet/tabs of the pickups so that they fit that shape. I would not recommend routing your guitar unless you have to.

9. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

S
    Shielding paint can be applied. Its black and will give it a uniform look while also shielding the cavity

10. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

why do you have to get pickups that don't fit? I mean there's so many options are you sure this particular pickup is better than every other pickup? Spending 300+ on pickups then having to pay someone to do body work on your guitar just seems so unnecessary. This will devalue your guitar as well. You can't put a dimarzio back in without it looking like crap. BKP should offer free return given they didn't tell you this ahead of time.

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  11. Selkoid

Selkoid SS.org Regular

Are they covered or uncovered? Either should fit in all Ibanez guitars just fine, the only modification you'll have to do is cut the square mounting tabs on the pickup to fit inside the radiused holes on the guitar body. Get a cheap pair of tin snips and snip the corner. I have BKPs in several Ibanez instruments, including the 6 string version of the guitar listed. Measure the depth on the guitar pickup route and check the BKP FAQ on their website for all pickup dimensions. Do not unnecessarily modify your guitar.

12. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I will just lend a hand to those who don't understand what's happening here:

This is the standard dimarzio pickup for a 7 string guitar
    [​IMG]

And this is an open coil BKP Impulse
    [​IMG]

As you can see the corners of the pickup are much more square, not as rounded as the DiMarzio so if the routes on the gutiar are tight around the DiMarzio the BKP won't fit.

That's why OP asked because even if BKP modify the baseplate the coils are still very square so if the route is too tight it might not fit. A different situation is if the stock pickups were covered pickups or "humbucker sized" EMGs because, in that case, the BKP Impulses (and Black Hawks) will fit.

Cheers!

13. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

I have them in my Kiesel. The routes are different compared to an Ibanez, but I trimmed the corners off the mounting tabs and was able to get them in by hand sanding the routing. It took some time and you can't even notice. As long as you take it somewhere with a good reputation, I'm sure they could do a clean enough job that you wouldn't notice the routes were changed.

Zhysick likes this.
  14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

You might have a problem with the black hawks. Mine are definitely bigger then most other pickups.