Ibanez 5121 Prestige string gauge size for dow ntuning

Lionsblood79

Swimmin with bowlegged women
Reaction score
Why so dead-set on not restringing? It's a hardtail guitar so an easy enough task, and super worth it to have fresh strings that fit the tuning
I guess my only holdup in changing them is that I go back n forth between tunings so frequently. My guitar seems to handle going back n forth from E down to D std. With the strings that came on it. So I dunno

DarthV

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess my only holdup in changing them is that I go back n forth between tunings so frequently. My guitar seems to handle going back n forth from E down to D std. With the strings that came on it. So I dunno

Buy a guitar for E then? Even if you could find a Goldilocks gauge that works for you with E and D standard, you're probably still going to need to adjust the truss rod and maybe string height when switching to the other. The 5121 isn't a cheap guitar, not sure I could live with something other than perfect. That also explains my collection of MiJ Ibanez guitars!

Other options would be drop pedals or if you use plugins/modelers, those have poly capo (or transpose) features that should work in a pinch.

Lionsblood79

Reaction score
Buy a guitar for E then? Even if you could find a Goldilocks gauge that works for you with E and D standard, you're probably still going to need to adjust the truss rod and maybe string height when switching to the other. The 5121 isn't a cheap guitar, not sure I could live with something other than perfect. That also explains my collection of MiJ Ibanez guitars!

Other options would be drop pedals or if you use plugins/modelers, those have poly capo (or transpose) features that should work in a pinch.
It just goes to show how naive i am to guitars in general (been playing for only about a year), I thought I could own one six string and tune it down and up whenever I felt like it. I've noticed I've had to adjust my truss rod alot lately, thought it was a humidity thing, but now I realize its probably from me switching tunings all the time. You're right the 5121 wasnt cheap, and I definitely cant afford to have a stable of guitars for dedicated tunings. I didnt even know pitch shifting pedals existed until I posted this topic.

DarthV

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It just goes to show how naive i am to guitars in general (been playing for only about a year), I thought I could own one six string and tune it down and up whenever I felt like it. I've noticed I've had to adjust my truss rod alot lately, thought it was a humidity thing, but now I realize its probably from me switching tunings all the time. You're right the 5121 wasnt cheap, and I definitely cant afford to have a stable of guitars for dedicated tunings. I didnt even know pitch shifting pedals existed until I posted this topic.

What are you playing through? If it's plugins, there are probably easy options for pitch shifting. Many modelers offer it as an effects block. If you're playing into a real amp, something like the Digitech Drop (or variants) would be the way to go.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used D'Addario NYXL 10-52's on my old guitar for Drop C#. The low strings were a little slinky while the higher strings felt good. I'd probably do a 10-54 myself if I get a guitar and set it up specifically for that tuning again. If you are dead set on not re-stringing the guitar and want it to stay in E standard, I'd suggest some kind of drop pedal then so you can play around in different tunings.

Lionsblood79

Reaction score
What are you playing through? If it's plugins, there are probably easy options for pitch shifting. Many modelers offer it as an effects block. If you're playing into a real amp, something like the Digitech Drop (or variants) would be the way to go.
I play into my boss kat 50 and use boss tone studio. That digitech drop looks pretty cool, crazy, didnt even know pedals like that existed...surprised more people dont use them instead of drop/down tuning their guitars

DarthV

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I play into my boss kat 50 and use boss tone studio. That digitech drop looks pretty cool, crazy, didnt even know pedals like that existed...surprised more people dont use them instead of drop/down tuning their guitars

Mostly because it's not perfect. If you can hear the guitar acoustically, you're going to notice it immediately. Also probably not good enough for recording.

Great for home use and changing tuning for learning songs tho! Not sure if anyone has brought out a stand alone VST/plugin to do it? Neural's Archetype Petrucci and Rabea both have it, but it's half steps only, no micro pitch. Helix Native has one as well, but it's pretty expensive if you don't have a good discount.