Ibanez 2022 discussion.

What model do you want to see this 2022?

• RGA Prestige

Votes: 94 31.1%
  • RGDR Prestige and Axiom Label

Votes: 49 16.2%
  • New Jake Bowen Signature

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • Tesseract Signature

Votes: 41 13.6%
  • S 7 strings with reverse headstock

Votes: 82 27.2%

• Total voters

Metropolis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would say that JBM will be around 2500-3000€$, glad they made it a production model, I really like the looks of it and sleek RGA body shape.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
that’s the MAP price, not the final price, wait until it gets released to see the correct price.
that’s the MAP price, not the final price, wait until it gets released to see the correct price.

You got it confused; MSRP is the "suggested" price, and MAP is the "final" price. So yeah the $3300 price tag appears to be accurate.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Didn't want to make a new thread. There's a 1550m on reverb for a good price but what the hell is up with this maple fretboard?

Is this water/humidity damage? It looks strange Screenshot_20220612-161107_Reverb.jpg

Wucan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Didn't want to make a new thread. There's a 1550m on reverb for a good price but what the hell is up with this maple fretboard?

Is this water/humidity damage? It looks strange

I'm no expert, but unfinished maple will absorb dirt and oil over time. The stains may be residues of whatever cleaning product they used on the fretboard.

Reaction score
:agreed:

Everyone complains about Rich's pricing, but he'll get you a great deal if you let him.
Someday I might be able to order and get replacements in a few weeks or couple months again. Right now it takes 10 months get replacement inventory. I have 250 guitars on back order so it's not for lack of trying. Dealers can't discount what they can't replace or very soon we'll be dealers with no inventory. And it's not like our costs haven't gone thru the roof. I spent $105 to ship a JS to California last week.

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So this just arrived this morning and.... *deep sigh*.

TLDR, shit wiring.

quest_01.jpg

First the good. Love the shape, weight and especially the balance. Very comfy standing and probably one of the most comfortable and well-balanced guitars I've ever tried for classical position while sitting.

As for the slanted frets, they're really interesting and I'd be curious how'd they feel playing long term but honestly, I could take them or leave them. It's different but not really game changing and, imo, for every spot on the fretboard that benefits in feel somewhere else feels to suffer. You can tell the guitar is trying to achieve ~something~ but it also highlights why the neutrality of straight frets is the standard.

But the frets themselves are the end of good impressions. The sides were fine but the top of frets while playing were noticeably rough which was disappointing considering how much the gold evo material was hyped up. I really don't care for the debate between standard frets and stainless frets but these felt like the rough as frets you come across on shop guitars that have sat on the well for months and nothing like even the worst of stainless steel I've touched. You can really tell these probably sat for months waiting to be shipped.

But whatever, I can polish some frets and like I said, the shape and balance was so good I was willing to go with it. So I plug in the guitar and immediately hit with buzzing despite being on the bridge pickup so I figure I'm switched on some kind of single coil mode. I toggle through the settings for a bit and it doesn't go away and I even pull up the Ibanez website to make sure I was doing the right thing at which point I say out loud, "what is wrong with you" and tap the bridge pickup with my finger and am hit with an even louder *bzzzt*.

Okay, time to pop this open and see if there's a loose ground or some other wire and what I find is even worse. Nothing obviously loose but overall an absolute horror show of poor soldering which could have a point of failure anywhere in the complete salad of wires necessary for the fancy wiring setup.

Likely the source of the buzzing. This poor ground wire holding on for dear life and also not trimmed or positioned in a sensible way at all.

quest_02.jpg

But wait, there's more...

20220629_00_guitar_0022.jpg

And the output jack joining in on the fun

quest_03.jpg

Not going to show every soldering point but even the best of what was going on looked amateur.

I wouldn't even expect this kind of low attention to detail from a guitar half this price. And having just received a Schecter recently that I literally can't find a fault with, this is just embarrassing. Needless to say, it's going right back.

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not that I disagree with flawed brand-new guitars getting sent back, because I do agree with it, but if the difference is 30 seconds with a soldering iron I'd just whack it with one.
With a general basic two hum, two pot, switches and similar setup that's what I would have done but because of the way Ibanez wires these up for a billion tone options it would have been less 30 seconds of work and more an entire afternoon of resoldering a rats nest of proprietary wiring. The photos above don't encompass all the issues, it was just the stuff sitting on top that was easy to photograph. Every solder joint frankly looked like garbage within the depths of the control cavity. I should have gotten an image of how many wires they cram into these things because, if it was executed properly, it's actually impressive how much stuff they get in there.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not that I disagree with flawed brand-new guitars getting sent back, because I do agree with it, but if the difference is 30 seconds with a soldering iron I'd just whack it with one.
Personally, I'd want to contact their customer services before tampering with it, so that I don't risk voiding the warranty (there could be something else wrong with the electrics that doesn't become apparent until the soldering is addressed). Might even be able to get a small partial refund that way too (after all, time is money).

It looks like Friday afternoon job. :(

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When was the AZS2200Q released? I hate the curved control panel of the pickguard model and I guess missed this one being rolled out.

View attachment 109919

They came out at the same time, but I don't believe they were available to purchase as early as the pickguard model.

They're the "non-Sig" partner to the LB1.

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They came out at the same time, but I don't believe they were available to purchase as early as the pickguard model.

They're the "non-Sig" partner to the LB1.
That makes sense, thank you.

Hadn't really noticed all these AZs have either a 12" radii or 9-12" compound one. Makes sense to differentiate them from RGs but it'd be nice to have the option of something flatter.

Dayn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just saw these in the new-for-July part on the Ibanez website. Vampire Kiss and Laser Blue. These were originally special North American models, weren't they? So they're going into general production? I've been wanting the purple RG550, but now I'm tempted by these.

p_region_RG565_VK_00_01.png
p_region_RG565_LB_00_01.png

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just saw these in the new-for-July part on the Ibanez website. Vampire Kiss and Laser Blue. These were originally special North American models, weren't they? So they're going into general production? I've been wanting the purple RG550, but now I'm tempted by these.

View attachment 109926
View attachment 109927

Gotta say I liked the blue/green and orange models from before, but I'll never complain about more basic RGs being put out at a good price point!

Latest posts