Ibanez 2022 discussion.

What model do you want to see this 2022?

• RGA Prestige

Votes: 86 30.2%
  • RGDR Prestige and Axiom Label

Votes: 49 17.2%
  • New Jake Bowen Signature

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • Tesseract Signature

Votes: 38 13.3%
  • S 7 strings with reverse headstock

Votes: 77 27.0%

• Total voters

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The quality of these guitars is certainly not in doubt, but some of the specs are slightly questionable - who buys an Ibanez RG to get a "U" or "half-barrel" neck profile? Perhaps the aim of these is to attract wealthy customers who like the RG J.Custom aesthetic but not the thin Super Wizard necks.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Neck specs are all over the place. What is supposed to be a 17-19 Wizard I've measured at most 21-24, and everywhere in between.
I've heard quite a few people who prefer the original 17-20mm Wizard to modern 17-19mm / 18-20mm claim that the modern necks tend to be slightly thicker than specified while the old necks were made to specification or sometimes even sanded slightly thinner. Any truth to that from your experience?

I haven't measured any of my necks with calipers, but could confidently identify the 3x Super Wizard, 3x Wizard & 2x Wizard II from my collection blindfolded, so they must either all be close to specification or all be thicker by a similar margin. Either way, I find all of them more coomfortable than any non-Ibanez neck I've tried. :)

Reaction score
I had to go back to a 2018 model I still had on the shelf to find a 17-19.

Had a guy call for advise, had just gotten a 5320CSW and was telling me the neck was 21-23 instead on the spec 17-19. I told him it's probably just a factory mistake, I'd pull one out and measure but my 5320's were buried. talked more and I had missed it was an L. Oh, my lefties are right here, pulled one, 21-23. I started pulling out everything, nothing was 17-19 and hadn't been for years. I never notice, I should have because I loathe 17-19's, they make my thumb hurt and I wasn't having problems anymore. A comfortable neck is a comfortable neck to me and they're all comfortable, except the thin ones, and I don't measure necks as part of inspection to see if they're in spec.

Wrote to the buyer to let the factory know and get an answer, because all Ibanez' web pages have the specs wrong, so all of the dealers have the specs wrong, and I need to know why and what the specs really are.

The answer was "hand finishing causes slight variations". My reply was 4mm was hardly a slight variation and I had to go back 3 years to find a guitar in spec, if they had changed the spec because of failure rate of the thin necks then they needed to advertise real specs and just name them ultra wizards of whatever. Crickets ever since.

Alberto7

Silly Goose Engineering
Contributor
Reaction score
These very clearly look like investment-grade gear. They're magnificent, but I'd be kinda scared of playing them too much, honestly. I'd be worried that I'd put a nick somewhere on the guitar and I've just suddenly lost $2k.

With that said, I really REALLY love the S models they came up with. Particular Wind Shear. I mean, I like all of them :lol: but I'd choose that one of I had to.

Reaction score
They only let me post full List price. And you twisted my words. I said you didn't have to be rich, you just can't be poor. Plenty of people that aren't rich can afford a $50,000 guitar. In NJ you have to make 1/4 mil a year to be considered rich.

PromptCritical5

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone know how these prices compare to what an artist would pay for a guitar from LACS?

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had to go back to a 2018 model I still had on the shelf to find a 17-19.

Had a guy call for advise, had just gotten a 5320CSW and was telling me the neck was 21-23 instead on the spec 17-19. I told him it's probably just a factory mistake, I'd pull one out and measure but my 5320's were buried. talked more and I had missed it was an L. Oh, my lefties are right here, pulled one, 21-23. I started pulling out everything, nothing was 17-19 and hadn't been for years. I never notice, I should have because I loathe 17-19's, they make my thumb hurt and I wasn't having problems anymore. A comfortable neck is a comfortable neck to me and they're all comfortable, except the thin ones, and I don't measure necks as part of inspection to see if they're in spec.

Wrote to the buyer to let the factory know and get an answer, because all Ibanez' web pages have the specs wrong, so all of the dealers have the specs wrong, and I need to know why and what the specs really are.

The answer was "hand finishing causes slight variations". My reply was 4mm was hardly a slight variation and I had to go back 3 years to find a guitar in spec, if they had changed the spec because of failure rate of the thin necks then they needed to advertise real specs and just name them ultra wizards of whatever. Crickets ever since.
Well then, if these 50th Anniversary models are made to specification, the "thicker" profiles will be like a recent Super Wizard and buyers of the models with actual Super Wizard profiles might think they've been sanded way to thin. We'll find out in 2023 when the buyers receive them! :lol:

My Super Wizards are from 2016, 17 & 19 (the newest being the RG8520 you sold me a year ago), so perhaps mine escaped the factory at specification.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but anyone "not poor" can buy a $17,000 guitar?
Wealth is certainly subjective, but I'm guessing that by "just can't be poor" Rich meant anyone who is upper middle class or wealthier could afford one (he can correct me if I'm wrong).

What people can afford also comes down to priorities. Plenty of people in my town live in houses worth £50k less than mine and drive a brand new BMW / Mercedes. I drive a 2015 Vauxhall Corsa (and won't be replacing it anytime soon), but I could afford a much flashier car if I didn't overpay my mortgage or make various other non-essential purchases (e.g. guitars).

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, my point exactly. If you're poor you can even afford one, just use your down payment for the house you've been saving for. Life is always about priorities.
Someone who I perceive to be "poor" would probably be in state-funded housing, with the idea of saving up a down-payment for a fairly modest home being out of their reach. They could afford a Gio if they scrimp on their groceries for a few months though...

These guitars are built, sitting in Bensalem and will be shipping out Monday.
Ah, anyone waiting on a back-order for a measly Prestige has another reason to be jealous of the proud owners of these beauties then haha!