Ibanez 2021 models

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by bastardbullet, Dec 31, 2020.

1. TrevorT

TrevorT SS.org Regular

Noooo the coil split switch on RGs (particularly 5000 series with HH) needs to die. I'd much prefer a 5-way switch to a 3-way switch + toggle. I'm never going to use the bridge pickup split on its own, and in a live setting I'd rather flip a single switch to change configurations than 2 switches. The AZs are fine, since they still have a 5-way switch, but with an alter switch for 5 additional tonal options.

... I might be in the minority here though :(

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

In the beginning, Mr Ibanez created the RG and Steve Vai saw that it was good.

On the second day John Suhr said "I can't sell something as pointy as that" and there was the Modern.

On the third through 6th days, Mr Ibanez rested.

On the 7th day he noticed these Suhrs were getting pretty popular so he made the AZ.

3. Phlegethon

Phlegethon SS.org Regular

You're bang on with the "everyone wants one, nobody would buy one" line of thinking. Here's my take on that:

In Canada, the xiphos would likely command a price high enough to put it in the same bracket as something like a brand new genesis 550. No way in hell am I spending large sums of cash for the inconsistency that comes out of Indonesia. Especially if I could pick up said genesis 550 and get something that I know would be built well. There's also a few changes to MII that makes me avoid them altogether, such as one piece wiz 3 necks which make anything with it feel like something out of the gio line.

4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

100%

If Ibanez makes another Xiphos it'll be a Axion Label and cost more than any Genesis model. There are Ibanez standard models approaching that price already.

Releasing the old Xiphos neck throughs today with trems and Dimarzios and flip flop paint would be so expensive.

aesthyrian and odibrom like this.
  5. JimF

JimF Contributor

I thought I was the only one that hated those necks.

Wildebeest and StevenC like this.
  6. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

THIS.

Fuck coil tap switches. Most of the time the tapped setting sound like garbage. The 5 way split is far more convincing. And I might be wiring stupid, and they might be the exact same sound in reality, but to me the 2 and 4th poositions sounds much better than a switched tap.

Either way, the 5 way switch is one of the things I love about Ibanez.

7. JimF

JimF Contributor

I would have disagreed with you until I got my Ibanez with a 5 way, and I've found I use positions 3 & 4 for cleans & crunchy stuff a lot!

cwhitey2, BigPhi84 and Wildebeest like this.
  8. Phlegethon

Phlegethon SS.org Regular

The 5 way on HH RG's is superior to a coil split. Parallel connected neck humbucker and inside coils of both humbuckers give you single coil flavour, but are still immune to 60 cycle hum. I seriously wonder why people get coil splits instead of series/parallel for this reason alone.

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

ya I have a box full of their special 5 way switches. it's basically all I use when rewiring guitars.

10. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    As has being said around here, the "S" series is more expensive to build, it requires more machine time and man/hand time just for the carving and, therefore, costing more at the end. Marketing that is then a bitch because people will buy RGs with the same specs mostly because of price, so "S" models sell way less than RGs and RGs will have more options and so on. The AZ line is a following of the "SZ" and "SC" experiments. When Gambale was onboard the Ibanez roster, "S" models were all over the place. When the Satriani model came to be, the "R" models vanished because they didn't sell, although there were HSS models in the that line for example. I'm seeing the "S" models slowly desapear into sigs only, unfortunately 'cause I dig them a lot and want an S5527 with me in the near future.

IMO, they could/should(?) rethink their offerings as far as models go. Get them more coherent along the different lines... but what do I know?

Personally, I really don't care much on that switch, either 3 or 5 way. I'd replace it immediately with a Freeway one, probably the 5B5-01 and get even more sounds out of the guitar, then convert that coil split switch into something like a phase switch or, adding piezos, a mag/mix/piezo switch... It would hurt me to drill those guitars in order to add a switch, so if the guitar already comes with one, hurray! :D

I'm glad that this is only your opinion, because I do like coil split tones, they have a different vibe to them when compared to parallel wired coils. They sound... RAW'er when compared with parallel wired coils, which sound muffled and compressed, although in "the same tone arena".

Comparing inner coils in parallel with only one coil will sound drastically different with ether of each coils isolated. When comparing splits within the same humbucker and with it being in parallel, splits have more sparkle than parallel and I prefer that in clean tones, for example. When I started messing with wirings, my go-to tones would be only series or parallel wired hums, then I started to experiment a little deeper into what 2 hums in a guitar could deliver with a beater/workhorse I have and that opened many many doors in the tone arena, so to say that I almost ditched parallel wired coils tones. I can get to them in my guitars, but I won't use them often. Also because the contrast between single to series wired coils is way bigger than between series and parallel, so I generally opt for these. Contrast is what excites our senses, so go with what excites you...?

... and there's no need to say "fuck this or that" in this matter ... imo...

I cannot speak for others, but in my previous paragraph I say that it is because of the tone contrast. Humbuckers sound big and fat in series and softer and brighter in parallel, but in both wiring options they also sound compressed. Single coils don't, and that is a refreshing thing in my book. They'll make the amp and FXs react differently, which will enhance the contrast between them with the same amp+FX settings and I like that, I like to incorporate that into my expression, so, how about it, is it a good reason?

Regarding 60 cycle hum, that depends a lot on the rig you have and how you manage it. For instance, I don't use gates to silence my guitar from extra noise, I use mute pedals and expression pedals to manage the amount of drive I have (rack rig with MIDI controlled pedalboard). When I'm not playing, I'll remove the drive and am as quiet as a mouse being persuit by a cat. Also, as long as you're playing, there's no 60 ccycle hum to anoy you. If there is, play faster, that what Malsmteen did... :)

I also have several VXL91 switches in my parts box, I made different wirings in them to test out what I liked more and would swap them in and out in my guitars, but then, in the beginning of 2020, the Freeway 5B5-01 switches came to be and I... well, I'm sold to them... :rocker:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  11. diagrammatiks

well, Ibanez hasn't really wanted to build S series guitars in Japan for a long time. They may have finally succeeded. From what I can see the Premium and axion S's sell quite well and the S prestige hasn't been updated in like forever.

The switch I'm talking about is the 2502. No wiring options. It does only one thing but it's the only setup I really need for a h/h guitar.

odibrom likes this.
  12. odibrom

odibrom .

Ibanez doesn't want to build S guitars in Japan because they're way more expensive there...

... and it's ok to like that switch, why wouldn't? If it works and does what you want it to do, great, right?

13. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

The trouble with the new little switch on the new RGs is that it only offers one more tone but that for years the switching system on the JS offered the same tones but with a far more elegant push/pull volume pot to activate the coil tap. This is then coupled with the fact the extra tones it offers aren’t all that useable especially when compared to the clever series-parallel switching used previously.

In essence it’s change for change’s sake and not necessarily a forward step...

And it looks awful.

Matt08642 and JimF like this.
  14. diagrammatiks

i don't really buy the simply more expensive reason. they can pass that cost on. they have no problem charging 1500 for a indo S. Given that pricing scheme the Japanese S should be more. Just charge more and market it correctly.

The JIVA X is 3200.

I do buy that Fgn doesn't want to do them. But fgn would rather do instruments at all so that's a wash.

odibrom likes this.
  15. odibrom

odibrom .

Push/pull pots aren't really reliable in a performance context, in my experience. I used to love them for they conceal functions and keep the guitar "clean", but learned to prefer miniswitches for performance. Push/pull pots can change values when operated for the switch and that can affect one's performance.

... hey, we don't all have to like the same things, right? That's why there is variety...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    profwoot, BigPhi84, Zhysick and 2 others like this.
  16. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Uh... No.

AZ is Arizona where Dave Mustaine is from. Dave Mustaine used to play Ibanez destroyers and Chris Broderick used to be in Megadeath and used to play Ibanez guitars.

Fenceclimber and odibrom like this.
  17. JimF

JimF Contributor

I don't think either of those are true :rofl:

XPT707FX, odibrom and Zhysick like this.
  18. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Let me have my Q friends run the AZ model names through the gematria translator, they'll get to the bottom of it.

EDIT: I'm only aware of it from meme screenshots and I have no idea how the Q people actually use the gematria calculator things... but... I put AZ24047 into it and some of the results were; "Barrack Obama Immortal," "Chief of Reptilians," "Donald Drumpf." I nearly fell out of my chair. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    mlp187, JimF, possumkiller and 4 others like this.
  19. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I think some posters here who are criticising this model year as 'the worst ever' (or something similar) are using an unfortunate choice of words and should give Ibanez some slack, something happened in 2020 =)

LordHar, mlp187, JimF and 2 others like this.
  20. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Does kinda sound like my grandson, he’ll flip from “worst day ever” to “best day” (and back) on a dime. And I don’t really like anything from the lineup. ;)

JimF, BigPhi84 and odibrom like this.