Ibanez 2021 models (Headless!)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by bastardbullet, Dec 31, 2020.

1. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Not a multiscale... not fake, it's a different take on aligning the frets...

2. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Well I'd go so far as to say there's emphasis on technique.

When you use the term "playing" it gives the impression that there's a tune in there somewhere instead of a bunch of clicky/chimey sounds that are technically difficult to generate and string together for 70 seconds ;)

Millul and LordHar like this.
  3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Nah, if there was a tune in there they would call it Dad Rock.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  4. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

Technique encompasses so many things on guitar - from correct vibrato to sweep picking to this chuka chuka thing. None is more valid than any other, it's all completely subjective.

I think the chuka chuka thing is cool, but this guy literally does it every five seconds. It's like if EVH did the eruption tapping lick every five seconds in a Van Halen song. That's just my own opinion though, if people dig it all the more power to them.

5. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    ... in the end, there is not technique, there is only expression...

It's like the eggs on the cake, one may not like eggs on themselves, but enjoy the cake... I dig this trend, it enriches the guitar vocabulary and proves that the electric guitar is not a dying instrument and that it's here to stay. Which also means that it is evolving, either in musicianship expression as well as in its form and appearance.

6. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Never on here anymore, but came back to say this:

Ew.

7. Kellz

Kellz SS.org Regular

Pre-ordered the Q54-BKF

I'm eyeing a headless since a couple of months now, last 6 string I owned is over 15 years ago when I was a kid. Strandberg is out of my budget or more like I just don't want to pay so much money on a guitar coming from indonesia and all the bad QC talk in here.

This seems to be a lot of guitar you are getting for the money + a gigbag. Living in germany we have a 30 day money back guarantee so I'll definitely check this one out and see if I like it.

I went for the Q54 and not the Ichi10 signature since I want that extra humbucker on the bridge for potential humbucker swap in the future. I do like the pickguard and do not want to mess with the slented frets. I usually don't like satin black finishes cause they seem to get shiny after a while where your hand sits but I prefer the black over the green matte. From my playing style I don't even think that it will get shiny tbh.

I'm definitely hyped for this guitar, delivery date is as soon as first half of september. We will see if that date holds. Definitely posting a NGD once I have it.

I usually think that beeing a fan of a company is always a bad idea for obvious reasons but beeing an ibanez fanboy I had to pre-order this one :D

USMarine75, tian, josh1 and 5 others like this.
  8. Boojakki

Boojakki SS.org Regular

Me too! High five! :cheers:

tian, josh1, stretcher7 and 1 other person like this.
  9. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

The Djent Grid - where all the SumerianCore bands unite under one chugga chugga and squeadley meadley

A-Branger and SCJR like this.
  10. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

QFT. Anything not evolving is going extinct.
    (no idea about the eggs thing)

Personally, I play strapped/classical so the slanted frets are probably not for me, but it seems worth checking out for all you right thigh folk.

odibrom likes this.
  11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I can't find one. May I ask where did you get it?

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I just listened to that demo video. Am I the only one that thinks that would sound good with gain? He’s a tight player - let’s get some dirt on that tone, I say.

Wc707, Wolfhorsky, mlp187 and 2 others like this.
  13. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

For all those complaining about the Xiphos 7 only being 25.5" - it's a fuck-up on the Ibanez site, they are at least 26.5" if not 27" (I'm pretty sure they are 27" because they feel longer than my 26.5" guitars). I just got back from playing one at my local. Ibanez have knocked these out of the park.

0rimus and SpaceDock like this.
  14. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Still undecided about his skills. Can he play "Wonderwall"?

Music wise I like the Ibanez demo of their ICTB721 better.

Jesse Zuretti, Wolfhorsky and Perge like this.
  15. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I thought the chicken pickin' space metal demo was pretty neat. Wish I could play like that. But then, I'd have to like... practice and stuff.

Hollowway and mlp187 like this.
  16. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Ewww, practice! Who in their right mind would want to do that?

cardinal likes this.
  17. Perge

Perge SS.org Regular

Man, can someone do one of those shite Photoshop jobs comparing the scale length between the 2 xiphos models? Not that I don't believe you, but I know x shaped guitars can feel different with the way they force you into classical position. But if Ibanez just dropped the ball on getting scale length info out, the 7 string xiphos just moved up the list quite a bit.

18. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

But they're both boring. I could listen to that song he played... once.

It's like metal went pop music. Just watch on Instagram once, like, and then move on to the next plastic idol.

It's a good thing bands like Metallica and Slipknot are still around, otherwise the disclaimers that "metal is dead" would have come true by now.

I mean, can you even call that metal? I wouldn't.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Music evolves. Sometimes good; sometimes bad. If you don't like it listen to something else. There is no shortage of music.

I actually quite like what Ichika, Polyphia, Manuel Gardner Fernandes, etc are doing. And I even like the obviously sped up but supposedly not Charlie Robbins stuff. It is what it is. I'm not listening to it at the gym, or in the car, or singing along with my kids. But it has its place and there is value.

I guess I just don't understand the vitriol from supposed guitarists directed at other actual guitarists. I can't stand Jared Dines but the dude can play. Fluff and Arnold arent the best guitarists but they can hold down a rhythm section for sure. My dislike for any of them would only be for their YouTube content (shameless shilling, no transparency, etc), but not for their playing.

This is no different than how people used to crap on Satriani for only being able to play boring instrumentals. Because if he was good he would be in a real band and have vocals?

YMMV

20. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

But.. he's not playing anything remotely considered "metal", so of course when your reference point is Thrash/Nu Metal it's going to sound drastically different. It's not to my taste either, so I wouldn't listen to Manuel all day, but it's far from boring and the dude is immensely talented.

How much effort do you put into band discovery, I'm going to assume very little like I generally do with anyone who seems to think an entire genre of music is "dead".