Ibanez 2019 New Stuff

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Sogradde, Nov 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

It might feel cheap but we may all be surprised and these new "tone" woods might not be half bad. I'll wait and see for myself, but I am quite happy that Ibanez is using something different to give us all a taste of different woods. Sure they might be cheap shit from the woods in Indonesia, but who knows? We may start swearing by these woods in a year.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

As far as Jatoba is concerned, I actually like it. Especially on the lower priced guitars, I would much rather prefer Jatoba over cheap rosewood. I never liked the cheap, dark, dry rosewood used on inexpensive guitars. I have Jatoba on 2 guitars now, no issue.

It is a little more red than I prefer (especially on my black RGRT421), but the latest trend is roasted maple, and Jatoba doesn't really look much different than that.

As far as sound is concerned, I have an '99 RG7621 and an '18 RG7421 (Jatoba fretboard), and to be honest, I like the sound of the RG7421 better.

I have always thought that musicians are stuck in a rut. I always thought, "how are we going to find the next thing" if we all use same woods used for ages?

AkiraSpectrum and MatiasTolkki like this.
  3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

You keep saying this, but at the end of the day the quality of how a wood "looks" is extremely subjective and ultimately defined by the biases of the observer. Given that you haven't provided any clearly defined metric that you're comparing it to, how exactly does it look "cheap" to you? What are the qualities that it possesses or lacks appearance-wise that make it look "cheap"? Also, more specifically, why should I believe that, when you say "cheap," you don't just mean that it doesn't conform to your personal aesthetic preferences? Because, honestly, I kinda doubt you're exactly an authority on what visual qualities a piece of wood must possess in order to be considered desirable, at least no more so than myself or any number of other posters here.

FILTHnFEAR, MatiasTolkki, Vyn and 4 others like this.
  4. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Thanks. I also would have preferred a lo-pro. May have been an insta-buy for me with one. I keep mulling it over.

5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

not annoying. just flabbergastingly nonsensical.

it's fucking. it grows on trees. what then hell does cheap wood look like.

wood is expensive because it's rare or it's been overharvested. not because someone shit pure cobalt in the cracks.

6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

All chime in with my two cents:

I’ve had way too many guitars and couldn’t tell you what one species of wood might sound like compared to another.

What seems more important is the builder knowing what he’s working with and selecting the right piece.

Whatever material these production factories are using, the pieces are random, and it’s just going to be a roll of the dice about how resonant or whatever each guitar will end up.

So I wouldn’t worry about these changes.

7. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

How is anyone a "visual authority" on wood? It's all subjective, man. An opinion. I've seen a lot of Ibanez guitar with Jatoba fretboards. To me, it doesn't look good. It looks like really bad, dried out Rosewood. Pau ferro, like that used on LTD's, looks nicer. I don't give a shit what you do or don't believe.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  8. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Wow, I don't check this thread for a day an it absolutely explodes.

I was wondering when you'd pop in about that XL :lol:

That looks hot. If that thing was MiJ or maybe even a Premium I'd be all over it.
    I was really hoping it'd be an RGA, not sure if I'm still into it if it's not.

I thought I read somewhere that they were discontinuing the Uppercuts? In any case yeah, I totally agree...seems redundant.

Yeah I don't know why unbound fretboards aren't more popular; binding feels cheap to me imo- unless it's very tastily done. Stuff like ivoroid or wood binding looks fantastic but the cheap white or black stuff you see most of the time bums me out.

Yeah that's kind of bogus; especially with the prices on some of these guitars. Real shame; I wish they used the soft-shell case that the Premiums got in the EU market. I'd take that thing over most actual hard cases.

Rich out there asking the real questions.

They both look terrible.

9. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

The more and more I look at it, I may give the RGD71ALMS a try. I kinda like the look of it too. Alright Ibanez, I'll give your MII one more shot, but 3 strikes and your out.

10. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I wonder if the SRC6 is still around. Love mine, and I don’t think it gets the recognition it deserves.

11. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Is Ibanez just phasing out the S series? Sure there's a couple new models but the overall representation is pretty sad. Overall not a fan of any of these new models really, but everyone has different tastes. I do miss the direction Ibanez was going circa 2008-2010, and the prices have gotten so high it's hard to call Ibanez a good value anymore.

12. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

They just need to invest in richlite across the board. It can be black or brown or whatever color.

13. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah I don't know why the S series gets no respect. It's by far their best shape imo.
    If I had to guess it's price. It seems like throughout their entire history you can have an RG and an S that are identical in every way, but the RG will be noticeably cheaper. I can only assume that they're more expensive to produce, so if they priced them similarly, they'd take a hit. Sucks though.

I think they'll be in a good place price-wise once they get their MiI stuff figured out. The Premiums look like they're selling at around where the Prestiges were when they won Ibanez the value crown, so if they get consistent they'll be sitting real pretty. Sounds like they're making progress on that front too, which is good to hear. I love Ibanez but buying new stuff from them always makes me nervous these days.

FILTHnFEAR and aesthyrian like this.
  14. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I hope not, but I definitely lost interest in the S series when they went 24 fret. I know it was a popular request, but to me they were never supposed to be an RG with a different body. They were their own thing.

BigPhi84 and aesthyrian like this.
  15. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Yeap

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  16. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Might be an unpopular opinion but I wished Ibanez just would have revamped the S line instead of introducing the AZ series. Especially if they brought back the old SV line with the more vintage styled necks and hardware.

17. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

The My Little Pony sig is OK with me, really. Its not boring black or grey. I'd probably swap those pup covers though.

upload_2019-1-2_12-12-58.png

BigPhi84, Solodini, Exchanger and 6 others like this.
  18. Siggevaio

Siggevaio SS.org Regular

Alright, so I know pretty much NOTHING about finishes, but is the finish on the RG5121 the kind that gets glossy after a while? Typically where you've rested your arm on the body etc.

19. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

20. Azathoth43

Azathoth43 ל ו ו י י ת ן

Well, looks like I have two new guitars to buy this year. Anyone know when the 2019's will become available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.