Ibanez 2018 models announced(teased) :O

diagrammatiks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really still can't comprehend why people are so let down by this even if this was already announced months ago and is not even out yet. Seeing all these negative posts getting lots of likes is making me feel depressed. I get it, you want them to bring back Prestige RGAs and they already did, too bad they have a trem (at least it's a Lo-Pro), only six strings, and are only available in Japan, and most of you can't even afford it (which I find laughable because they already own a bunch of expensive guitars and are very OCD about the quality control, which they're mostly skeptical about Ibanez's), and even if they're widely available there's still gonna be a way for them to bitch about it.

Personally, I love the aesthetics of the AZ and the slightly offset headstock, it gives it a more unique trait compared to the ones found on almost every solid-bodied model. I bet if it was reversed, they'll go nuts about it.

Speaking of Ibanez headstocks, how come I never hear anyone talk about the Roadcore series, let alone complain about not having the traditional sharp headstock?
RC1320_DBS_00_01.png

Back to the AZ, the only thing I really don't like about it is the bulging backplate, hopefully this could be fixed when it's out. I have really good expectations for the series when it comes out and no doubts that there will be a good amount of NGD threads that will be posted here.

I think Ibanez has done really good in their non prestige lines this year. A lot of stuff I'd happily buy. At this point I'm more constrained by space then by budget tho. By all accounts they've been selling really well too.

The rgaix, the six, the rgat, gc's exclusive rgar. I'd happily own all of those.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Man, I'd sell my car and buy 10 of these if they came in HSH. Ibanez finally makes a superstrat with a more Strat like trem and not a floating trem and it only comes in HH. I'd even be happy with a hardtail in HSH but Ibanez for some reason pretty much only makes their HSH guitars with the floating trems on them and hardtails for HH, what's the reasoning behind that?

I'd still love to give one a try though, I have an RG1570Z with HSH and an Edge Zero but my tastes are starting to gravitate more towards the Suhr/Tom Anderson styles and not just flat black guitars and I really want a guitar with a more retro trem and not a floating bridge. The problem is that I want HSH as well and Ibanez is basically the only company that makes HSH superstrats at reasonable price points, that I know of.

I don't get all the complaining either, is it supposed to be a bad thing that Ibanez offers more variations of their superstrats? :scratch:

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man, I'd sell my car and buy 10 of these if they came in HSH. Ibanez finally makes a superstrat with a more Strat like trem and not a floating trem and it only comes in HH. I'd even be happy with a hardtail in HSH but Ibanez for some reason pretty much only makes their HSH guitars with the floating trems on them and hardtails for HH, what's the reasoning behind that?

I'd still love to give one a try though, I have an RG1570Z with HSH and an Edge Zero but my tastes are starting to gravitate more towards the Suhr/Tom Anderson styles and not just flat black guitars and I really want a guitar with a more retro trem and not a floating bridge. The problem is that I want HSH as well and Ibanez is basically the only company that makes HSH superstrats at reasonable price points, that I know of.

I don't get all the complaining either, is it supposed to be a bad thing that Ibanez offers more variations of their superstrats? :scratch:
does'nt the blue one have a pickguard?. i.e could do any config you want with a new pickguard?
I agree though

my preference would be H/S/S

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
....hardtails for HH, what's the reasoning behind that?

HH layout has more pros than cons: less weight, less cost, no f....ing middle pickup getting in the way. I pick and dig. I have two guitars with the middle single coil pickups and i constantly hit the pickups with my pick. I think there are more ppl like me complaining about the middle pickup. Ibanez makes really great and smart 5-way superswitches. You have HH, but 5 sounds: brigde, inner coils, both pickups, neck parallel, neck series. That gives a great variety of tones. The inner coils give that straty, glassy sound of 2nd/4th position.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
HH layout has more pros than cons: less weight, less cost, no f....ing middle pickup getting in the way. I pick and dig. I have two guitars with the middle single coil pickups and i constantly hit the pickups with my pick. I think there are more ppl like me complaining about the middle pickup. Ibanez makes really great and smart 5-way superswitches. You have HH, but 5 sounds: brigde, inner coils, both pickups, neck parallel, neck series. That gives a great variety of tones. The inner coils give that straty, glassy sound of 2nd/4th position.
If the middle pickup gets in the way of your playing then there's either something wrong with your technique or your setup, how often do you see Strat players complain about the middle pickup being in the way? And I doubt "less weight" is a factor either Ibanez or the people buying the guitars are considering, how much does a pickup weigh?

Ibanez way of doing the 5 way switch on HH is better than the 3 way switch but it's still not the same thing as actually having a middle pickup.

mpexus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If the middle pickup gets in the way of your playing then there's either something wrong with your technique or your setup.

I love the sound of the Mid and Neck Single Coils together but I always lower the Mid pickup because its on the way of my picking.

John Petrucci said none of his guitars have a mid pickups because it gets in the way of his playing, so yes they bother people... just because it doesnt bother some doesnt mean its nice for all :)

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
If the middle pickup gets in the way of your playing then there's either something wrong with your technique or your setup, how often do you see Strat players complain about the middle pickup being in the way? And I doubt "less weight" is a factor either Ibanez or the people buying the guitars are considering, how much does a pickup weigh?

Ibanez way of doing the 5 way switch on HH is better than the 3 way switch but it's still not the same thing as actually having a middle pickup.
I was going to write about Petrucci, but i’m late to the party. So You can tell John that His picking techique is wrong :lol: I will humbly learn to pick the proper way :lol:

marcwormjim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Greg Howe has it even worse: the neck has to be a single-sized humbucker because he can’t avoid hitting a normal one with his pick.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Well Petrucci has his own unique style of picking with the way he anchors his hand over the bridge, so for him it makes sense. And he has to make up for it by using Piezo and all that kind of fancy schmancy stuff. I'm just saying that if HSH is good enough for Guthrie Govan then it's good enough for me :agreed:

A-Branger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
he anchors his hand over the bridge
bridge pickup ;)

I know you you were refering to the pickup and not the actualy bridge, but jsut in case. Also jsut to point out I have tried that tecnique to anchor my picky to the bridge humbucker and cant play for crap doing that. But well if it works for him....Also thats the reason why he doesnt have pickup rings as it gets in the way of his pinky anchoring thing. In which I say I have tried on two of my guitars and really the ring is that small that I dont feel a difference....... Everyone its different. I tried an HSH Jem and my big GAS for those was completely gone after I discover how much it anoyed me the middle pickup

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
So if i understand correctly, many of us, who hit the middle pickup, are wrong. We need to learn how to use plectrum the proper way just to enjoy the middle pickup. Sheeesh. :lol:
I play the guitar for 25 years, so it is extremely difficult for me to change the technique, that i currently have/use. Maybe if it works for me, then is it OK? :spock: Maybe we can presume that i can play, but my technique is not compatible with HSH pickup layout. Can we? Maybe some people differ and that variety is a good thing. Maybe @Zalbu should try accept the fact that there are some stupid people trying to play the guitar and those imbecyles just happen to do not like the middle pickup. EOT.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
So if i understand correctly, many of us, who hit the middle pickup, are wrong. We need to learn how to use plectrum the proper way just to enjoy the middle pickup. Sheeesh. :lol:
I play the guitar for 25 years, so it is extremely difficult for me to change the technique, that i currently have/use. Maybe if it works for me, then is it OK? :spock: Maybe we can presume that i can play, but my technique is not compatible with HSH pickup layout. Can we? Maybe some people differ and that variety is a good thing. Maybe @Zalbu should try accept the fact that there are some stupid people trying to play the guitar and those imbecyles just happen to do not like the middle pickup. EOT.
No need to get your panties in a bunch, playing with "wrong" technique obviously didn't stop the likes of Jimi Hendrix and how he anchored the thumb over the neck. And I didn't say that every guitar should be HSH, I asked why Ibanez only offers HSH on their trem guitars and HH on their hardtails and you started blabbering about how superior HH is to HSH when that wasn't even the point of my question. Should Ibanez not offer trem guitars either if more people prefer hardtails? Should they only make guitars based on your preferences? :scratch:

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
Strat players might have three pickups but they are half as wide as humbuckers. And many people are playing 24 fret guitars which reduce the gap between two humbuckers and a single coil even further. Thats not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Combine that with a relatively flat neck angle on an ibanez that middle pickup is pretty easy to smack into wih action that isnt an inch off the frets.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
No need to get your panties in a bunch, playing with "wrong" technique obviously didn't stop the likes of Jimi Hendrix and how he anchored the thumb over the neck. And I didn't say that every guitar should be HSH, I asked why Ibanez only offers HSH on their trem guitars and HH on their hardtails and you started blabbering about how superior HH is to HSH when that wasn't even the point of my question. Should Ibanez not offer trem guitars either if more people prefer hardtails? Should they only make guitars based on your preferences? :scratch:

The new prestige that has been delayed has an edge trem and only 2 humbuckers.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I didn’t write to anybody suggesting that something is wrong with their technique. You did it here:
If the middle pickup gets in the way of your playing then there's either something wrong with your technique or your setup, how often do you see Strat players complain about the middle pickup being in the way?
You got the replies. :deadhrse:
Ibanez is making more and more guitars with HH layout for reasons mentioned by me and others. I think that the cost of an extra pickup and an extra labor is the main reason. Try to read that discussion one more time.