Ibanez 2018 models announced(teased) :O

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by lewis, Oct 26, 2017.

1. UltimaWeapon

UltimaWeapon yolo-swag-3000

900 british pounds that could be probably around 1100 or 1200e

2. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

But that's cheaper than they have been in a long time right? I got a 550RF because of the price actually.

3. UltimaWeapon

Its too soon to judge but lets hope so :D The last years RG655s are still 1400e here and those are one of the cheapest available. For a Japan production is still a reasonable price tho. If i may compare to some ESPs MIJ these Ibbys are still cheaper.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Eww the AZs ... a whole new guitar line and it's disappointingly old fashioned, strat trem, flat headstock with string trees, 'new breed of ... young guitarists ... maintaining traditional elements'. I loathe the conservatism of mainstream guitar culture.
    The rumoured Affirma basses haven't appeared yet, hopefully at NAMM.

Wolfhorsky and Toxin like this.
  5. Toxin

Toxin no, i don't drink vodka

Couldn't agree more...
    RGD a few years ago was a fresh breeze, i hoped they would expand this line, like more colors, options(jap models, not iron label), but now we see this..."progression"

6. Valnob

Valnob about tree fiddy

Thomann has updated its prices for the AZ models
    Premium AZ 1.199 €
    Prestige AZ 1.999 €
    Prestige AZ w/ flame maple top 2.499 €

7. UltimaWeapon

Poormans Suhr?

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

is it though. the az flame top is like the same cost as a suhr.

Dineley and Wolfhorsky like this.
  9. MatiasTolkki

I want a 25.5" scale, 6 string RGD with a Lo pro or OE, MIJ. I LOVE those bevels (better than Kiesel's wannabe RGD, the Aries, that thing can die in a fire).

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  10. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Jesus, I'd rather have a Suhr if this is going to cost me 3k USD for an MIJ AZ

At least that way I'm getting a tried and true Gotoh 510, Suhr Pickups, MIA Suhr Quality, and the resale value of a Suhr.

Dineley and Wolfhorsky like this.
  11. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I don't know where to start since there are lots of new models in the catalog, but as a huge Ibanez fanboy I'll have to admit that this year already surpassed last year in terms of new models and some returning ones. I'll try to mention the ones I like the most.
    • The AZ series in general. I've been hyped for them since Polyphia and CHON revealed their prototypes. I've always wanted an Ibanez that has a modern strat shape without looking too "metal"-y.
    • Everyone's getting excited over the RG550 reissues, which are nice too, but I don't hear anyone talk about the RG521. If the 550's prices indicate anything, then the 521 should be an affordable new MIJ hardtail RG.
    • Paul Gilbert's new FRM200. It's based on the guitar he's been using on tour with Mr. Big lately and it comes with DiMarzio mini-humbuckers, which is pretty new since they're not as common as regular humbuckers.
    • MM1, Martin Miller's signature model. That was an unexpected one since I never thought he was that popular enough to warrant a sig, but it looks very nice (and is MIJ so that's a plus)
    • The purple burst Iron Label RGs. Looks like Ibanez are following Mayones' ways again, but I'm all in for more reverse headstocks.
    • Some of the new standard tier RGs. They're nothing special but they have DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton in them and two of them have reverse headstocks so A+.
    • The new Iron Label RGDs. The RGDIR6M reminds me of the RGR565 a lot, and I'm glad there's an IL that isn't in some monochrome or burst finish. The RGDIM6FM is intriguing since it's a fanned fret sixer, and good for Ibanez for joining the Fishman Fluence game because I've heard good things from their hype.
    • Two new AX models. For the longest time the only AX model remaining was the Gio one, and I was surprised when I saw them in their own category.
    • NuTube Screamer looks very interesting, it's another collaboration with Korg since the Kaoss Pad-equipped models.
    The only thing I'm upset about is the lack of Tosin Abasi's new model due to him starting his own company, but I hope the new stuff would do well because it seems that Ibanez are on a huge roll lately.

Masoo2 and Boojakki like this.
  12. MatiasTolkki

Guess they wanted to not compete with the price of the new 550s, since they know the 550s are gonna sell like crazy.

13. MatiasTolkki

Also, I still think Tosin is an idiot for trying to start a new guitar company in this market, with sales dropping and all. Look at Ola and Solar. Yeah they are selling right now, because they are new, but when that early rush dies down, what's gonna happen? There are too many companies out there now and I don't think Tosin is going to be able to really get a lot out of this venture since people dont have a lot of disposable income.

BigPhi84 likes this.
  14. MatiasTolkki

@couverdure

The reason you dont hear a lot about the 521s is that they are the same color as the 570s and even over here in Japan, they didn't sell all that well, when competing against RFR and PN.

15. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Tosin seems to be doing just fine, and even if it's some indication. All the wild speculation, and even our own 50+ page discussion thread about him and his next guitar/venture, I'm sure there will be more than enough sales. His previous signature was a 4k instrument that while fantastic didn't sell well because Ibanez seems to have a hard time pricing their instruments in anything besides the basic MII tier, Premium, Prestige, and J Custom/Signatures being 3k+.

If he has the ambition to release something unique and has enough confidence in the market, because let's face it. People don't jump into ventures on whims and get multiple people involved in their business on a hunch that it'll do well. I'm sure the guy did his fair share of research on the demographic and market.

I see that argument a ton now too, that people don't have as much disposable income to put into a high end instrument. Well what about the numerous companies that while established, don't cater to the low end/mid range markets? Suhr/Tom Anderson/Mayones/etc seem to be doing just fine with I'm sure most of their sales being individual 3k+ orders.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  16. diagrammatiks

ya tosin will be fine. i doubt that shop can put out more then 20 guitars a year and 20 guitars at 4k is the sweet spot right now.
    the middle class going away doesn't mean no one has money anymore. It just means the sub 1500 becomes very very competitive and then you just need to find 20 people to give you lots of money.

maybe 100 guitars. anderson is putting out 600 a year but they are a lot bigger operation then frank.

17. dav43

dav43 SS.org Regular

my GAS for this new year!!!

Attached Files:

18. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Want to buy a franchise?

19. diagrammatiks

[​IMG]

nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom.

the rgd multi scale 6 could be interesting. but i keep looking at pictures of it, and the 12th parallel terrible design makes me have vertigo and want to vomit.

Obsidian Soul and couverdure like this.
  20. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular