Ibanez 2013

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by possumkiller, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

I dont like Schecter necks, their overuse of abalone, and hideous inlays. Yes their pricing is very fair and competitive. LTD needs more options than just black guitars - their best offering right now is the AW signature.

2. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

I really quite like Schecter. The only beef I've ever had with them aesthetically is BLACK WHITE RED OKAY SEND IT TO THE SHOP NAO DON'T FORGET THE BINDING AND FRETBOARD BATS AHMERGERD! But that was only on a few models. I do still want their baritone 6.

But, their color is seeing some cool variety this year which is awesome as I've never had any serious dislikes about them.

3. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I agree the newer Schecter stuff like the SLS are top notch. Super thin necks that rival any Ibanez, very good quality and features. They and ESP definitely historically have had better value than Ibanez. I think Ibanez is making great strides this year though. You can never go wrong with a good MIJ ESP, Ibanez, and now Schecter USA stuff is coming back. Winners all around so no need to debate what's better.

4. rockstarazuri

rockstarazuri SS.org Regular

Since we already got the specs for the S7 Prestige, it's pretty much leaked 90% already, so why not some pics to go with it? ;)

5. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

I don't have the pics, I only seen the flyer at a store.

As for catalogs, I heard that Ibanez is only doing dealer catalogs this year. No catalogs for the public, I guess it was running into to much money. I have seen the dealer catalog as well as the new stuff flyer, and the catalog is very bland.

6. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

7. drjeffreyodweyer

drjeffreyodweyer SS.org Regular

Sheeeeiiiiit. Nice

8. Chrisjd

Chrisjd Banned

That model to the left looks interesting.....

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Thats an RGD.

10. Chrisjd

Chrisjd Banned

2013 rgd? 6 or 7 string?

11. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

We must fight for our right to play Schecters here on the SSO. :agreed:

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm calling a mutiny.

13. LukeNecraG

LukeNecraG Necrabeast

(Sorry to use you as an example)

I think its this kind of attitude that made Ibanez take this direction that I don't agree with.
    Seems to me they're trying to appeal to as many people as possible and have ended up saturating the market with all these new models. Kinda like "OMG its rounder! (RGA) OMG its pointier! (RGD)". Obviously things change but putting new models up against a classic for the sake of more choice is questionable.
    Same thing happened with the X series. The Xiphose did well so they introduced all these new shapes that weren't as good (IMO of course) and discontinued the XPT707.

Given their reputation and their following, Ibanez could surely justify sacking any unnecissary models, save on the cost of their production and afford to release just enough MIJ guitars. Say an RG, S, Iceman and Xiphose. Trem or hardtail options and a few finishes. Everybody's happy. Cheaper Japanese guitars, and also few enough of them to bring up their resale value.

You can tell I want the best for Ibanez :lol: I really do believe they're some of the best value insuments around, but its sad to see where these guitars end up on the used market. Here's to redemption in 2013 :hbang:

14. ItWillDo

ItWillDo MOUTHOFTHERIVER

Opinions bro. I've played quite some ESP-models and had 2 Schecters, but I sold all of them and only own Ibanez guitars now. The necks on the ESP-models were cancer-inducing and I just couldn't get the right vibe out of the Schecters.

15. Chrisjd

Chrisjd Banned

I do hear you , but at the same time, Ibanez has ignored a large portion of the hard rock/metal guitar playing world.

How hard is it to build a quality 7 string, using a mahogany or alder body, REAL PICKUPS, string through(hard tail) with good tuners for a decent price? We've had great options from ESP and schecter FOR YEARS, yet year after year ibanez pumps out trem-loaded garbage with dimarzio knock-offs asking for more money than neck through LTD's(and sometimes japanese esp's) with real duncans, and good tuners over a nice slab of alder or mahogany.

I understand Ibanez has made a few models that ALMOST meet the specs i mentioned, but still, they have a LOT of catching up to do, while their competition is already very strong and selling a ton of guitars.

16. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Are we really going back to that "basswood is inferior" thing again? I mean really.

Also is ibanez really missing out? Ive seen massive amount of premium 7 ngds, and rg8 ngds. I don't think they are hurting in the slightest.

17. Chrisjd

Chrisjd Banned

Not necessarily, although many will consider it a cheaper piece of wood. It's more that it has been their only option in most of their guitars for a long time.

Meanwhile, ESP and Schecter were offering more wood choices in affordable guitars.

18. LukeNecraG

LukeNecraG Necrabeast

Exactly why I think they're better off dumping the dead weight. More effort and funds put into less guitars equals better guitars.

Although I will say that outside of the US down here in South Africa I don't see ESPs priced to make me think they're better value than Ibanez. I just think ESP does more of what I'm talking about.

19. jam3v

jam3v wat

I'm just jumping into this thread, but I'm not sure he's suggesting basswood is inferior - I think he just wants the option. Alder / Mahogany Ibanez generally aren't the norm.

I will say this, though. Having played Basswood guitars from Ibanez and Ernie Ball, Ibanez really seems to use a less resonant (lower quality?) basswood.

20. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

A high quality piece of basswood is as good as any other high quality wood. A cheap piece of mahagony is not better than an expensive piece of basswood, for example. So this debate is as pointless as it's ever been. And you know what's crazy? I actively like basswood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.