I was there

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I was at Electric Factory in Philly in 2017 when Mastodon and Opeth came together with each of their tours for one super show, which would've been really fucking cool of the venue didn't try to funnel 10k people through 2 security lines, which caused me to miss all of Russian Circles' set and half of Devin Townsend's.

Also it was the show where Brett Hinds lost it at the sound guy, but I was too far away to really notice during the set:

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I got a fun one.

When KSE was just making it big, I want to say this was summer 2001. Me and my friends went to a strawberries to get the CD signed by them. When we walked in we were literally the only people there. Shot the shit for a couple minutes and headed to the show in Worcester, MA at the palladium. KSE is a local band to MA, and i think this might've been their first national tour in which they opened for Soilwork when they were actually good.

Anyways, we were 17/18 and drinking in the parking lot. None of us were drunk but definitely stoned off our asses. Got to the door and security said they watched us drinking and if we didn't leave they would tell the cops (5 feet away). We walked around the side of the building and just kind of sat on a stoop all bummed out.

Suddenly we heard a "HEY!" really loud and thought we were in deep shit. Turns out it was Jesse from KSE. He remembered us from the signing and called us over. When we talked about what went wrong he said he'd help us out. He went to the back of the van (yep, very small van) and got us mints and sprayed us down with a e body spray. He said he was gonna try to get us backstage passes but they had no clout on this tour so he couldn't.

The mints and spray did not work, the security was pissed and we had to run full speed when she went to talk to the cops. We ended up dumping all our booze in a dumpster and got on the highway immediately.

I'm sure KSE/Jesse don't remember it, but I'll always remember that day.

Then KSE BLEW UP

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My post rock band went on a backroads, AK tour with Nick Oliveri from QOTSA, a bunch of local punk/sludge bands, and a congregation of crusties in 2012ish. Lots of camping and drinking and mosquitos.

I saw Iron Maiden in a bull ring in Spain when I was 16 due to a very fortuitous alignment of their tour schedule and a class trip. Still the best concert I've ever been to from a performance and showmanship perspective, bar none. (with murder dolls opening lmao)

I saw Melvins in Anchorage, AK which was the first stop on their record-setting 50-states-in-50-days tour.

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Modified ghost festival; with Bloodbath as a headliner. Turns out they were not able to get into the country for whatever reason, so right at the end of the show, after a delay, The Black Dahlia Murder ended up headlining.

It was my first introduction to the band and it completely blew me away; I became an instant fan. Such a magic moment to experience that music for the first time ever, in a live setting.

Bloodbath promised they’d make up for the show but never did. Oh well

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was at Electric Factory in Philly in 2017 when Mastodon and Opeth came together with each of their tours for one super show, which would've been really fucking cool of the venue didn't try to funnel 10k people through 2 security lines, which caused me to miss all of Russian Circles' set and half of Devin Townsend's.

Also it was the show where Brett Hinds lost it at the sound guy, but I was too far away to really notice during the set:

Oh man, this totally reminds me of one of my Mastodon experiences...

I was there when they played their hometown show in Atlanta at the tabernacle and provided a special treat by inviting all the strippers and costumed friends from the music video to join them onstage for the final song of the night, "The Motherload." Lots of twerking was had by all.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dream Theater’s Live Scenes From NY show.

That was actually the second time they played the Roseland on that tour, I was at the previous one as well and made a few friends standing in line because we got there stupid early, like 8-9AM. I’m all over the behind the scenes footage, which is a cool memento from the show. It was the height of my DT fanboy days, there was a ton of awesome energy in the crowd that night, we were all proud of the band for delivering such an amazing album and it was cool knowing we were going to be part of a live DVD.

Long ass show, around 4 hours. I can’t remember if Portnoy collapsed after that one or the previous Roseland show, but it was HOT as fuck in there and there were times I was leaning against the railing just to hold myself up. Stood directly in front of Petrucci both shows. That was a really great night.

Couple other smaller but good ones; caught Sevendust on their first show after Lajon’s brother was murdered, they played “Angel’s Son” and everyone lost it, the band and audience. That was an intense feeling.

STP’s reunion tour in ‘07, Scott was so fucked up the night before in NJ and went on late, we weren’t sure if they were even going to play the show in Mass. They opened with “Big Empty” and the audience went APESHIT, Scott was FLAWLESS that night and displayed everything that made him as amazing as he was. I had tears in my eyes for the better part of that show just because the band was so fucking good and the audience was so into it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I guess my "I was there moment" was when I was in a festival and The Cavalera Conspiracy (Sepultura + Soulfly) played live their first show ever. It was their first time the Cavalera brothers were playing together again. They even brought their wives and kids up the stage for a "big family reunion", and in addition to their own songs I got to hear the classic Sepultura hits sang by Max.

Cool times! That was 14 years ago. Holy hell :lol:

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Seeing Opeth when they were a metal band— Ghost Reveries tour —right up against the stage. They opened with “Ghost of Perdition.”

Saw them a couple of times back in those days. Tuska 2006, I think they opened with The Leper Affinity... Heavy AF. Then I saw them again on the Watershed tour - first attempt, the show got cancelled because Michael lost his voice and we got a meet&greet instead + ticket update to a re-scheduled show. Fredrik Åkesson had just joined them and I had a bit of a chat with him. On the actual show, they did this "scream out whatever song title and we'll play at least a bit of it", I screamed BLEAK! and they played about a minute of it :)

Tuska 2006 in general was awesome:

Arch Enemy - it was absolutely brutal and they had to end the show early because someone got squashed in a moshpit. I was in the front row with my leg and arm in a cast as I had been in a motorcycle accident a few weeks earlier. That was back when Angela was still in the band, and also Fredrik Åkesson was on lead guitar. He seemed like the perfect fit for the band, but then Chris Ammot rejoined the band and Åkesson joined Opeth. What a lucky coincidence for him...

Gojira - It was their From Mars to Sirius tour and that was also one of the best performances I've ever witnessed. They played all of Remembrance back then, not just the outro like these days, and in general, it was basically just a gigantic seismic event.

Last edited:

Riffer

Reaction score
Saw Meshuggah in Philly when Jens was sick and couldn't sing. They played the show with the vocals from the album coming through the PA and had a blow up doll with Jens face standing center stage the whole time, haha.

Saw Decapitated in June 2007 with their original drummer Vitek, who would then pass away that November. RIP
Also this show had a great lineup...
Stick To Your Guns
Suicide Silence
Nora
Ion Dissonance
Full Blown Chaos
Cephalic Carnage
Bury Your Dead
As Blood Runs Black
Arsis
Beneath The Massacre
Cattle Decapitation
Since The Flood
The Faceless
A Life Once Lost
Decapitated
Necrophagist (couldn't make it due to international Visa problems)

Was at the Job For A Cowboy show in Philly where they filmed the music video for "Unfurling A Darkened Gospel".

Went to the first year of the Sounds of The Underground festival in Philly in 2005. Insane lineup if you ask me...
The Red Chord
Devil Driver
High On Fire
Full Blown Chaos
Unearth
Throwdown
All That Remains
A Life Once Lost
Chimaira
Every Time I Die
From Autumn To Ashes
GWAR
Clutch
Poison The Well
Strapping Young Lad
Norma Jean
Opeth
Lamb Of God

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reactions: MFB

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've only been to Waffle House once as I avoid the entirety of the South like Glades avoids thinking Democrats aren't on the right side of history, but oh boy if those weren't the best waffles I've ever had. Eggs/bacon sides were just OK, which is always the trade off when the main piece is that good, but I swore I'd find the recipe to rip it off for home use.

rikwebb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Download 2004 when Lars had his episode on the plane on the way so Dave Lombardo , Joey Jordison and Lar's Tech filled in. Also sure that a band or two were late so stuff got moved around and Damageplan ended up playing the main stage so got to see Dime play.

Also was going around Australia at the time Sabbath were doing thier last Australian tour in 2016 so got to see thier last Australian show in Brisbane when staying with some friends at the time.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dream Theater’s Live Scenes From NY show.

That was actually the second time they played the Roseland on that tour, I was at the previous one as well and made a few friends standing in line because we got there stupid early, like 8-9AM. I’m all over the behind the scenes footage, which is a cool memento from the show. It was the height of my DT fanboy days, there was a ton of awesome energy in the crowd that night, we were all proud of the band for delivering such an amazing album and it was cool knowing we were going to be part of a live DVD.

Long ass show, around 4 hours. I can’t remember if Portnoy collapsed after that one or the previous Roseland show, but it was HOT as fuck in there and there were times I was leaning against the railing just to hold myself up. Stood directly in front of Petrucci both shows. That was a really great night.

Couple other smaller but good ones; caught Sevendust on their first show after Lajon’s brother was murdered, they played “Angel’s Son” and everyone lost it, the band and audience. That was an intense feeling.

STP’s reunion tour in ‘07, Scott was so fucked up the night before in NJ and went on late, we weren’t sure if they were even going to play the show in Mass. They opened with “Big Empty” and the audience went APESHIT, Scott was FLAWLESS that night and displayed everything that made him as amazing as he was. I had tears in my eyes for the better part of that show just because the band was so fucking good and the audience was so into it.
Hey! I was at Roseland for that show, too, with a bunch of people from the Ytsejam list!
Man, did they fix a lot of vocals for that DVD, but it was still an awesome show.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey! I was at Roseland for that show, too, with a bunch of people from the Ytsejam list!
Man, did they fix a lot of vocals for that DVD, but it was still an awesome show.

I used to be on the Ytsejam list! Spending like a half hour trying to read that damn cyclone of text on AOL! :lol:

I don’t remember any vocal clams from that night but am definitely not surprised. The one mistake that night that stood out was, I think in “A Change Of Seasons” or did they play “Erotomania”? Petrucci comes in like a split second late after a pause in one of those songs.

I had almost as much fun standing in line as I did the show itself. We weren’t really standing in line at the front as much as it was “this whole group of people have been here since 8 and we’re going to walk around and socialize without anyone losing their place”.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used to be on the Ytsejam list! Spending like a half hour trying to read that damn cyclone of text on AOL! :lol:

I don’t remember any vocal clams from that night but am definitely not surprised. The one mistake that night that stood out was, I think in “A Change Of Seasons” or did they play “Erotomania”? Petrucci comes in like a split second late after a pause in one of those songs.

I had almost as much fun standing in line as I did the show itself. We weren’t really standing in line at the front as much as it was “this whole group of people have been here since 8 and we’re going to walk around and socialize without anyone losing their place”.
It was "Erotomania", and JP definitely screwed it up. LaBrie didn't miss stuff so much as take alternate notes, which is fine, but then when I listened to the CD of it I was like "Bro, that's not what you did!". :lol:

I'm *still* friends with a bunch of people from the 'Jam. I joined right about the time Awake came out - and a huge part of that list (including the promoter) went on to be the original core of the ProgPowerUSA festival. (Yeah, I was also at the first one of those.)

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Metallica Damage Inc Tour with Cliff July 17th 1986. I feel very fortunate to have seen him only about two months before his death but also that I was able to catch the show with James before he was temporarily replaced with John Marshall only ten days later due to his broken arm. Third row back/ left of stage center and I felt like we made eye-contact with Cliff numerous times... we were so close. Ozzy headlined fwiw but I'll never forget feeling like the Metallica energy was what blew the roof off of that place.

Latest posts